GDT: Game 71: Hello Nashville.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I personally wouldn't have even challenged that even if it was technically offside.

I would have taken such factors such as refs are stupid, the team is on a b2b, they are playing tired and are already collapsing and they have a rookie goaltender in net that may never make the NHL even as a backup to decide not to risk putting them on a pk.

I would have just let it go 4-3 and hope they can defend it and maybe score an empty net goal.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
Patera is a mediocre AHL goalie. He's an automatic four goals against in this league. They need a better number three next season.
My impression is that Patera isn't that bad, and certainly wasn't responsible for last night's loss. That was on Cassidy for taking his foot off the gas against a dangerous team knowing that the Knights would likely fade in the 3rd period because of the B2B game.

Reactions: hangman005

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
My impression is that Patera isn't that bad, and certainly wasn't responsible for last night's loss. That was on Cassidy for taking his foot off the gas against a dangerous team knowing that the Knights would likely fade in the 3rd period because of the B2B game.

I mean the players took their foot on the gas. The main problem i had with Cassidy that game is the challenge. I mean i understand why he did it, but i honestly thought the risks outweighed the positives on that one. It if was a bit more conclusive, then sure. But when it is really close, i would have just let it go. Preds probably would have tied up the game anyways, but we shouldn't have made it that easy for them.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
I mean the players took their foot on the gas. The main problem i had with Cassidy that game is the challenge. I mean i understand why he did it, but i honestly thought the risks outweighed the positives on that one. It if was a bit more conclusive, then sure. But when it is really close, i would have just let it go. Preds probably would have tied up the game anyways, but we shouldn't have made it that easy for them.
I agree with that, but, yeah, judgment call and the Knights win most of those challenges.

I get so tired of Cassidy's schtick where he'll get a few points ahead and then turtle -- that's not on the players. Granted, the players started to run out of gas in the bottom of the second, but that was to be expected during the B2B and exactly why they needed to keep pressing hard while they were hot and the Preds were on their heels.

BTW, I think that Cassidy is an excellent coach, but turtling when the other team is back on their heels is the one thing that he does which really aggravates me.

Reactions: hangman005

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

He gives up four almost every start, his .857 save% was definitely a problem.

I don't think the blame is consistently on the Stanley Cup winning defense in front of him every game, I think he is just trash as an NHL goalie, there is not even likely to be a backup in there at any point. It's easy to see how shaky everything always feels unless the team in front of him always does everything to make it the very simplest possible saves.

But Cassidy does share some blame for challenging instead of buckling down and relying on that Cup winning defense until you had an empty net to aim for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad