GDT: Game 71: Avs vs. Ducks - Wabbit Season - 7PM

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
If you don't want to waste your time, you can absolutely do that. But not sure how you can do that? Of course this season is an utter disappointment and some of these losses made me numb, but it's not like we're fielding an AHL team out there like the Thrashers season. Furthermore, we only have like ten games remaining until Avs hockey is done for another six or so months. The season always feels super short and the offseason always feels super long, give me these remaining ten games before Avs go on a huge break.
Meh, this team is boring to death. Outside of a few prospects getting a shot in these remaining games, I don’t have much interest. I’ll be watching with one eye (Soda style) and I might do something else at the same time. Gimme Francouz, Greer and Meloche.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Here's a free crappy tanking avatar, first come first served.

fork.png

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
If we loose this game then we need to start to Rommel type of tanking after this game in order to get 2 top 1st round picks.

Well, Rommel suffered heavy from fuel shortages, so it is not the best possible example:sarcasm:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Avs just gave this game away with a terrible 2nd and 3rd period. Didn't even really have as great a first period as the score would suggest either IMO. A couple great plays on the goals, but they didn't have the kind of pissed off game they should have had after getting shutout, and never really woke up until about 8 minutes left in the 3rd.

Tyson Barrie with another brutal game. Getting so sick of saying that. Lots of turnovers and lost men defensively. Loses the battle to Perry off the face-off, then decides to just stop covering him and leaves him all alone for the first goal. Did the same thing on the Ducks 2nd goal.

MacKinnon was way too absent in this game outside his goal. I don't know who came up with the strategy to have someone else carry the puck on his line, and for him to try to come from behind the play all night, but that was a terrible idea. He pushes the play, and puts defenders on their heels. That's one of the biggest assets he brings, why would you curb that?

Varly gave up another bad rebound that led to the 3rd goal, but he was not the reason they lost this game. The first Perry goal was a great play to kick the puck five feet to the side of the net and put it in. The second goal Getzlaf was wide open and made a great shot. The 4th goal, Nemeth let a pass go through the slot and then sat in between Varly and the puck lying on the goal line. He’s not getting to that before it’s tapped in. His mistakes were the bad rebound on the 3rd goal and not making back to back big saves on a wide open Getzlaf. He didn't get it done though, and that's not enough.

PK was terrible all night. Scouting must have been way off because they made the 25th ranked PP look like a top 10 unit. Just sloppy coverage, and once again they leave the middle of the box way too wide open.

Wilson and Calvert busting their butt but miss their daily open nets. Unbelievable that they can’t score these goals. Wilson leaving Getzlaf wide open was the key to the Ducks 2nd goal too. That was his man.

Mikko with the worst penalty of the year by far. I don’t understand why he just loses control of his body sometimes, and swings his stick in the air. That penalty might have cost them the playoffs, but then again they might not have made it anyway.

A glimmer of hope if Arizona manages to lose to Edmonton next game, but I’m not holding my breath. This team had tons of problems already, and they’ve become a shell of whatever team they were before with Landy out.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Kingslayer

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't get at all what Bednar is doing with the lineup. He ices one line that's too small (Kerfoot - Jost - Calvert) and one line that's way too slow (Wilson - Soderberg - Rantanen). He even says in the postgame presser, if I recall correctly, that he didn't love the way the team played defensively in the 1st. But he still waits until the team completely implodes to start making changes to the lineup. Just...unreal. And don't even get me started on that worthless 4th line.

And I've no idea what in hell Wilson was doing on that 2nd Ducks goal. Falls down (what else is new?) but manages to get back, but then just kinda floats around in the defensive zone watching the play, not remotely aware of the trailing player he could've EASILY covered to prevent the goal. Why even bother backchecking if you're not gonna play defense? Cannot wait for this worthless sack of blond hair to be kicked to the curb. I said before he was at least worth the 4th rounder in 2019 but I'm even questioning that right now.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I never commented on Bednar's postgame comments in response to Dater's questions when he said the team was "Checking with their eyes." I think it was correct and insightful, but this is also coming from the same guy who insists on continually using Colin Wilson in a prominent scoring role (and Wilson has most definitely been guilty of the puck-watching Bednar is lamenting) and Gabriel Bourque as a key penalty killer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad