GDT: Game 71: Avs vs. Ducks - Wabbit Season - 7PM

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
At this point, our games have been relegated to checking box scores for points from 9296.

Unless ‘Couz is called up, there’s really no reason to watch.

Same old painful bull****.
11 games left. I might as well see this clown show to the end. Im gonna be jonesing for Avs hockey all summer. Also, seening Mack and Rants get points is fun. I dont think we will ever see Francouz in an Avs uni again.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Just not enough guys on this team who are committed to playing hard-nosed hockey often enough to get this team over the hump and into a playoff spot. The Avs have shown themselves to be perfectly content to piddle around the .500 mark, while teams like the Blues, Stars & Coyotes have manned-up, got to work, and kept the forward momentum rolling. That ain’t magic—it’s effort!

Reactions: missionAvs

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
You cant build a winning team with just draft picks. It took a decade for this team to find or draft and develop players like MacKinnon and Rantanen only to surround them with bunch of below average players. How are you supposed to win anything like that?

Reactions: Foppberg

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Think we need to give up on this franky dream. Not enough time left in season for us to really get a decent sample size. Grubs has played pretty good lately and shouldve been in net tonight. I want to see more of him. We cant honestly think he is as bad as he played earlier in the year. Plus he will be here next year regardless with that contract. And stop hoping for rants points sheesh. Hes got that contract coming up so less points is better. Mack points are fine but if up to me, rest of points this year will be from jost, girard and z. Still have hopes for jost
Rants points are fine. He'll get paid what he gets paid. Rather he continues to put up consistent offence.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
You cant build a winning team with just draft picks. It took a decade for this team to find or draft and develop players like MacKinnon and Rantanen only to surround them with bunch of below average players. How are you supposed to win anything like that?
Adding top picks to a line up like ours is a great way to be a contender.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I have run out of patience with this team and organization.

-Bednar, I don’t care how good of a coach he is, the results aren’t there. This team can’t close out games, and can’t play good hockey consistently enough to ever be comfortably in a playoff spot. 240 games will be enough for me.
That's where I am about now too. I said in the past that Bednar will eventually become a good coach once he learns what went wrong, but it won't be with us (probably with the effin Wild knowing our luck, hahaha). The analytics concerning everything looks decent to very good except for the PK, but the wins simply are not coming. And it's not like we're battling amazing teams either; Wild were sellers, Bishop with his monthly injury, and Arizona with nine thousand injuries. Avs first line even without Landeskog still has more potent talent and goalscoring ability than the first four forwards of the Coyotes. Yet Arizona is 8-2-0 in their last ten and smoked this same Ducks team 6-1 yesterday. Six goals, even though it was against Miller, while scoring three is an achievement unlock for us. No excuse for us not being a point away with the talent we have in all places (even with our teams issues).

Perhaps a lack of talent is limiting Bednar's ability for his gameplan long term, but it's not like he's made good decisions either. Super stubborn except when it comes to line management and he's worse than a cocaine user getting a free trip to Colombia.

-Sakic, nothing makes me more angry right now than thinking about another off-season where the only addition is some ****ty forward and defenceman he has overpaid to bring in, and then tells us how the youth will have a chance to step up. He’s done some good things, but this organization’s ability to bring, and keep good players is pathetic.
I am not going to defend Sakic, but his approach has made the most sense out of everyone for me. He obviously saw that Roy's team towards the end wasn't made to have long term success, so getting rid of the all the dead-weight from that era and inject it with youth was actually right. Him wanting to make deals for long-term success or a hockey trade wasn't wrong either. Him wanting to keep majority of his draft picks is the correct call considering where we're heading.

What he got wrong, was he gambled that some of that youth would take the next step and he didn't need to go out in free agency because of it. Though Jost looks fantastic the past month, was lost throughout the season. Kerfoot doesn't have a huge desire to become better because he already has a good degree and loads of money outside of hockey (I get the feeling he's playing the sport just to waste time and do something). Compher though having a good season still has a lot to work on like consistency and defencive play. Andrighetto just got killed by injuries and isn't the same player we got before (though he should be given much more ice time). Zadorov gets benched for every tiny mistake, even though he needs to clean some of the penalties he takes.

I would still gladly take what we have now and a chance at Hayes and others this year than grabbing JvR to that ridiculous contract last year. This will be make it or break it concerning Sakic for me though. Absolutely no excuse not being a major player at the draft and at free agency this time around.

-Johnson, I have grown tired of watching. Used to love the guy, but he is so far from what he used to be it’s ridiculous. Average skater, not physical, brutal passer, gets 9/10 shots blocked. His ability to read the game is the only thing that has improved now in the last 5 years. Everything else has regressed.
As I said earlier, Johnson has played like Erik Gudbranson the past two games and that isn't a good sign. I do have some faith of him eventually returning to a top pairing defender with more experience and a offseason to recoup (similar to Letang). The biggest problem is I don't know how a lad who is 6'4" - 225 lbs player who went 1st overall due to athletic ability has a shot that terrible. The Johnson - Girard pairing is very bad when it comes to offencive production and one of the reasons why is because both get their shots blocked. I still have hope that Girard can eventually improve his accuracy, but Johnson is absolutely done in being a goalscorer from this point on. That season where he got 12 goals will never happen again I suggest.

-Barrie, just totally clueless defensively. Is good for pretty much one goal a night where you are asking yourself where was he going on that play. I’m more inclined to see him stick around than EJ, but if he thinks he is an elite, top-5 offensive defenceman like some posters here say he is, then he can’t be traded quick enough before his next contract. He does not belong on the ice more than 18-20 minutes, or a higher pairing than the 2nd. These types of players aren’t worth 7-8+ million.
Yup, my thoughts exactly. Give me a 5 million Zadorov than a 7.5 million Barrie. I don't care if all Makar becomes is a good two-way #3, Barrie at this present point of type is a super top-heavy #3 who provides opposing team scoring chances every single night.

I told you lot that a ton of his points where enigma PP points where all he did was pass the puck to either MacKinnon or Rantanen. People say he has a good shot at the point, but yet Zadorov leads the defence in GOALS with NO powerplay TIME. Barrie only gets his shot through when Mikko and MacKinnon pass the puck well enough to open the PKers. It has absolutely nothing to do with Barrie's ability, he's a leech.

-Varlamov, is he going to have an elite night or AHL night? Will he string together 8 wins in a row or get injured. He is a coin toss every night on what you will get. Unfortunately he is like the heart beat of the team. If he is lights out, the team wins. If he is off, the team is off. Time for a new heart.
Pretty much 100% accurate. It sucks what has happened to him, but we knew the risk when we made the trade. He seems like a good lad and he said he wants to be back, but nope just cut bait. I will wish him the most success where he goes though.

-The rest of the garbage, Wilson, Kerfoot, Ghetto, Nemeth, Bourque, Dries, etc. These are the guys ragged on every game, but the problem is way beyond them or their capabilities. Avs shouldn’t really need Wilson to be scoring goals to win games, but yet it seems like his golden opportunities he misses every game are costing the team. It’s management’s fault the team is filled with these types of players. Good teams have 2 or 3 of these guys. 60 percent of the Avs roster is made up of these types of players.
Even with their negatives, I think Wilson and Kerfoot are serviceable players. They're just not top 6 players and that's more due to a lack of talent, depth, and coaching issues than they themselves. Nemeth for the most part has been quite serviceable as well, I mean I prefer Graves to be out there, but it's not like we're going to win a Cup with either. Cut Ghetto (just due to injuries), Nemeth, and Borque in the offseason. Dries sucks, but it is just his second pro season I believe and I don't think he was meant to play this many NHL games. I don't mind keeping him strictly for the AHL though.

* after finally finding line combinations that worked after our horrible Dec-Jan that saw the Avs bounce back and go 5-2-1 or whatever it was, he inexplicably breaks those lines up after being down 1-0 against San Jose even though we had played a really excellent period. I just don't get how he sees the game...it's really frikkin' weird. He relies on the Top Line way too much, it's like a crutch and when he does that, we become a 1 line team.
Yeah this is what I don't get. He's constantly up for blending the lines whenever we're in a rut, but never ever changes his gameplan or try to change the momentum by issuing a timeout. I am not saying timeouts work 95% of the time, but his thinking is just inept - it's not like timeouts work with a minute remaining anyway either.

Last edited:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
It can't keep being the coach. There is something fundamentally wrong with this organization. They've been far too susceptible to mental fragility through three coaches and damn near 10 ****ing years now.

Of course but the coach is the one we can fire and hope it fixes things.

Reactions: arun

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Glimpses of Edmonton .. It's sad. We need so much more quality to roster before we can say we are ready for the SC. Makar helps, hopefully we land Hughes and Kakko, these guys could make a big impact.

Reactions: the_fan

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Glimpses of Edmonton .. It's sad. We need so much more quality to roster before we can say we are ready for the SC. Makar helps, hopefully we land Hughes and Kakko, these guys could make a big impact.
Thats the difference between us and the Oilers. Help is coming fast for us. The Oilers have Evan Bouchard coming. I dont know if hes gonna be enough. Oilers have 2 amazing talents. We have 2 amazing talents. Oilers have to knock their pick out the park this season( So do we) We've atleast made the playoffs twice since Mackinnons rookie season. Its nothing to brag about but I think we have been the better franchise/team between 2013-Present. Again its nothing to brag about.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
What can you say other than that you hope this season ends as soon as possible so that we don’t have to watch this anymore.
Im looking forward to the draft and to see how Joe is gonna handle the Barrie situation, Rants contract, Letting Semyon walk perhaps, addressing the second line etc. This team might look completely different in October with the likes of Wilson, Andrighetto, Barberio, Nemeth, Semyon, Bork, Kerfoot and Barrie gone.

Reactions: avsfan09

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I've been checked out for weeks now, that little stretch of wins didn't change my mind on this team. They're not good, and it's showing once again.

I'm sure we'll all be excited for Avs hockey again when Sakic re-signs Varlamov to a two-year deal, lets Francouz walk, and makes a huge FA play for Wayne Simmonds while the Avs draft 4th and 13th overall.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I'm sure we'll all be excited for Avs hockey again when Sakic re-signs Varlamov to a two-year deal, lets Francouz walk, and makes a huge FA play for Wayne Simmonds while the Avs draft 4th and 13th overall.

ut-girl-fbomb-10-13-12.gif

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Thats the difference between us and the Oilers. Help is coming fast for us. The Oilers have Evan Bouchard coming. I dont know if hes gonna be enough. Oilers have 2 amazing talents. We have 2 amazing talents. Oilers have to knock their pick out the park this season( So do we) We've atleast made the playoffs twice since Mackinnons rookie season. Its nothing to brag about but I think we have been the better franchise/team between 2013-Present. Again its nothing to brag about.

It's crazy how bad both organizations are doing. So many top picks but nothing to so for them.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Once again melted away once the opposing team turned up the heat. What a beauty of a team they were in the beginning of the season when they were the ones who played aggressively. Get this team a coach, please. Granato, Sacco, Roy, Bednar... 11 years with coaches who'll quite possibly never get a gig as head coach in the NHL again. Insanity.

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
Once again melted away once the opposing team turned up the heat. What a beauty of a team they were in the beginning of the season when they were the ones who played aggressively. Get this team a coach, please. Granato, Sacco, Roy, Bednar... 11 years with coaches who'll quite possibly never get a gig as head coach in the NHL again. Insanity.
So, who is next Avs coach?

Has any of the other 3 coaches landed job as head coach somewhere?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It would be nice to hire a coach that is not learning with their first NHL job, but the apparent mandate from within the organization (perhaps from the Kroenkes?) is that no one can be hired that has significant experience outside the organization. On a fundamental level, it seems highly dysfunctional. Actually, the only coach that the Avs have hired that had significant outside experience outside the organization was Coach Q, and he really was still an insider in many respects.

Maybe Eric Lacroix and his father are still running things in absentia, kind of like the old imprisoned mob boss still running the family.

After writing this, I really am starting to see the similarities to how the Oilers have been run as an organization. This is just sad.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
So, who is next Avs coach?

Has any of the other 3 coaches landed job as head coach somewhere?

This team needs Quenneville badly. He wouldn't tolerate this kind of mental softness. Avs need some tough love to take the next step in becoming a regular play off team.

Reactions: Forceberg

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
I've been checked out for weeks now, that little stretch of wins didn't change my mind on this team. They're not good, and it's showing once again.

Sounds about right.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

I'll be excited for next season just having Makar in the line up.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

If you don't want to waste your time, you can absolutely do that. But not sure how you can do that? Of course this season is an utter disappointment and some of these losses made me numb, but it's not like we're fielding an AHL team out there like the Thrashers season. Furthermore, we only have like ten games remaining until Avs hockey is done for another six or so months. The season always feels super short and the offseason always feels super long, give me these remaining ten games before Avs go on a huge break.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad