Post-Game Talk: Game 70 - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TUUKKA - BRUINS 2 Sons of Gritty 0 F

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
That's his job.

no, its not his job to pick up more than his share of the slack night in and night out. its not on him to cover for all the forwards not doing their jobs.

especially since when the flip side happens and he has an off night he gets roasted to no end.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
Lindholm was a a career 50% face off man before coming to Boston. He’s slipped a little to 45% this year. Kuraly is always around 50%. That’s pretty darn good to have two guys like that on your 4th line. Nice to have a backup when they throw someone out of the face off circle.

I just noticed Halak’s contract expires before Rask’s. Halak is making $3.2......if You play him and he lights it up then you get to write a bigger check or lose maybe the best backup in the league.

IMO, Kuraly is better on the wing that Lindholm. At least that's what I saw last week.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Well....he’s not worth $7M to the Bruins I don’t think. Obviously he’s worth $5M because that’s what he’s getting now. I wonder what they will do. Kuraly gave them a home team discount on a 3 yr extension. Chara only makes $2M. I could live with $5.5M a year for 3 yrs for Krug.

They just gave away their 1st round pick in 2020 too
I know this is the PGT, but I had to chime in. Thinking Krug is only worth 3 x $5.5M is a terribad player analysis, and shows a complete lack of awareness of NHL contracts. If he's only getting 3 years, his AAV is gonna go way up, like over 8. Yes, he's that good, and what he brings is not readily available either in the Bruins system or in the UFA market. Comparing Krug to Kuraly and a one-week-short of 43- year old Chara is beyond ridiculous.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
The Bruins coaching staff needs a big high five. That was some spot on "in-game" coaching and makes me hopeful for the playoffs.

May sound a bit off, but one of my biggest concerns is bergy-marchand-pasta rigidly staying together in the playoffs. tampa hemmed them in for long stretches in both games. last night the same happened. then the rest of the team gets neutered as well. as someone else said, pair:

bergy-marchand
DK-pasta
Coyle-DeBrusk

Keep 4th line together.

and find partners on the wing. Teams can't defend that depth!!

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The Bruins coaching staff needs a big high five. That was some spot on "in-game" coaching and makes me hopeful for the playoffs.

May sound a bit off, but one of my biggest concerns is bergy-marchand-pasta rigidly staying together in the playoffs. tampa hemmed them in for long stretches in both games. last night the same happened. then the rest of the team gets neutered as well. as someone else said, pair:

bergy-marchand
DK-pasta
Coyle-DeBrusk

Keep 4th line together.

and find partners on the wing. Teams can't defend that depth!!

The willingness by Cassidy to break up that first line was a relief for me.

Especially coming off Claude, I don’t consider Cassidy to be a stubborn coach relative to NHL coaches. However, there have been times where the team and/or that top line is struggling and he can’t be shaken off of Pasta-Bergy-Marchand. Seeing the results of that last night should make him more confident doing it going forward. The game suddenly seemed to be a matchup nightmare for Philly as soon as the change was made. All of the sudden a guy like Pasta went from having no space...to having tons of space.

False Start

May 8, 2018

Especially coming off Claude, I don’t consider Cassidy to be a stubborn coach relative to NHL coaches. However, there have been times where the team and/or that top line is struggling and he can’t be shaken off of Pasta-Bergy-Marchand. Seeing the results of that last night should make him more confident doing it going forward. The game suddenly seemed to be a matchup nightmare for Philly as soon as the change was made. All of the sudden a guy like Pasta went from having no space...to having tons of space.

When you have to worry about Marchand and Bergeron for one shift followed immediately by Pastrnak on another. It can wear an opposing team out.

It won't always be this pretty but it's nice to see the option is there for Bruce.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

This.

I think Cassidy should consider keeping Pastranak with Krejci on Friday.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Lindholm was a a career 50% face off man before coming to Boston. He’s slipped a little to 45% this year. Kuraly is always around 50%. That’s pretty darn good to have two guys like that on your 4th line. Nice to have a backup when they throw someone out of the face off circle.

I just noticed Halak’s contract expires before Rask’s. Halak is making $3.2......if You play him and he lights it up then you get to write a bigger check or lose maybe the best backup in the league.
Halak is gonna sign a multi-year (likely 2, maybe 3) contract to be someone's starter. His performance the last two seasons, someone's looking to upgrade their starting goalie situation. And with how good Vladar has been in Providence, I'd bet the Bruins are confident with him being their backup next year, and not resigning Halak.

Reactions: rank

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Halak is gonna sign a multi-year (likely 2, maybe 3) contract to be someone's starter. His performance the last two seasons, someone's looking to upgrade their starting goalie situation. And with how good Vladar has been in Providence, I'd bet the Bruins are confident with him being their backup next year, and not resigning Halak.
not a guarantee when Seattle is 6-9 months out....and there's no guarantee Vladar doesn't go the way of MacIntyre

Reactions: rank

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
no, its not his job to pick up more than his share of the slack night in and night out. its not on him to cover for all the forwards not doing their jobs.

especially since when the flip side happens and he has an off night he gets roasted to no end.

Of course it is.

And its not like he has to do that every night. He usually has an easier game than most NHL goaltenders.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
not a guarantee when Seattle is 6-9 months out....and there's no guarantee Vladar doesn't go the way of MacIntyre
Of course there is no guarantee, I'm just saying that Vladar has performed well enough that I think the Bruins would be comfortable planning on him being the backup next year.

Solid point about Seattle. Not sure if it affects how they handle Halak though. Interesting to see for sure.

Reactions: Strafer

rank

Mar 2, 2020
I know this is the PGT, but I had to chime in. Thinking Krug is only worth 3 x $5.5M is a terribad player analysis, and shows a complete lack of awareness of NHL contracts. If he's only getting 3 years, his AAV is gonna go way up, like over 8. Yes, he's that good, and what he brings is not readily available either in the Bruins system or in the UFA market. Comparing Krug to Kuraly and a one-week-short of 43- year old Chara is beyond ridiculous.
In no way was I comparing Krug’s skill and age to that of Kuraly and the age of Chara. I was only saying they don’t throw money away.

FWIW, even at 43, In my mind Chara is still better than Krug in every way except skating and passing. Of course Krug probably has more years ahead of him and you have to pay for that but when all is said and done, God bless him, he’s still a 5-9 185 lb defenseman that has trouble imposing his will on bigger forwards.

Reactions: Strafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad