GDT: Game 70: Detroit Red Wings @ Montreal Canadiens | 3/12/2019 | 7:30PM ET | FSD

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
That puke went after Larkin in blowout, if it wasn't a milestone for Price happening right then, I wouldn't have cared about much of what he wanted to do with Kulak. Remember he was also a big part of the Calgary dust up. He is one of those low level skill guys that is dirty that I know simply because of that, I have no problem with Witter not liking the guy and making life miserable for him when they are on the ice at the same time. All for it, hope he continues it and glad he pulled off when he realized Price was being honored.

I still don’t fully understand the whole ordeal with Larkin and Kulak. All I remember was Larkin being chippy and testing Kulak’s patience with a few slashes. Kulak responded, but it wasn’t an egregious play or a mugging. Larkin was able to handle his own briefly.

Am I remembering something wrong? Is it just the optics of replacement level defenseman vs too young player?

Reactions: SoupGuru

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I still don’t fully understand the whole ordeal with Larkin and Kulak. All I remember was Larkin being chippy and testing Kulak’s patience with a few slashes. Kulak responded, but it wasn’t an egregious play or a mugging. Larkin was able to handle his own briefly.

Am I remembering something wrong? Is it just the optics of replacement level defenseman vs too young player?

Larkin slashed him on a shift before and Kulak came and got him high, Larkin responded then Kulak came again and made him go which was pretty crappy. Larkin did finally go as he was clearly frustrated and my guess is he felt the sting that is currently sidelining him from the high business in my opinion. I didn't like it then and I still don't like it. Kulak is one of those guys I notice for the wrong reasons when he plays us at this point. Looking forward to one of the Wings tuning him up and taking the 5 minutes here shortly. Although our best fighter is probably out for the year in this one.

Larkin is an almost PPG center and our franchise face already. You are blowing out the Wings, players like Kulak don't get to do that and a bigger message should be sent on that. If Larkin wants to have it out with a better player while they are down big so be it, but Kulak doesn't get to make Larkin go. No sir, somebody should have dummied him for that on our team, our response has been unacceptable. Now I know that sounds very Don Cherry, but I don't believe in letting a guy like Larkin getting messed with by a down the lineup plug.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
I like Blashill so not sure why I would want to laugh at that, especially with the fourth grade name calling involved.

Disappointed that he didn't put him out there, we need that threat of his release to open up the ice in my opinion. Oh well, some of these things take time to happen it isn't the end of the world.

Trash is terrible and it's 2nd grade name calling.

He just does not get how to get the most out of his players and doesn't understand when to use certain players. Also my reply was to point out that he isn't some great developer of talent that some people like to think he is.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Larkin slashed him on a shift before and Kulak came and got him high, Larkin responded then Kulak came again and made him go which was pretty crappy. Larkin did finally go as he was clearly frustrated and my guess is he felt the sting that is currently sidelining him from the high business in my opinion. I didn't like it then and I still don't like it. Kulak is one of those guys I notice for the wrong reasons when he plays us at this point. Looking forward to one of the Wings tuning him up and taking the 5 minutes here shortly. Although our best fighter is probably out for the year in this one.

Larkin is an almost PPG center and our franchise face already. You are blowing out the Wings, players like Kulak don't get to do that and a bigger message should be sent on that. If Larkin wants to have it out with a better player while they are down big so be it, but Kulak doesn't get to make Larkin go. No sir, somebody should have dummied him for that on our team, our response has been unacceptable. Now I know that sounds very Don Cherry, but I don't believe in letting a guy like Larkin getting messed with by a down the lineup plug.

I’ll agree with the aspect on nobody gets to make Larkin go, but I didn’t think that he was forced in this particular instance. Probably too hazy to have a true recollection of things playing out.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018

I agree I was really hoping Witkowski was going to make a run at him or send him a message that a 3rd pairing D can make our best player drop the gloves especially when we were getting blown out

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
They played well at times. All at Centre Bell thought the game was going to be tied up. Price was awesome tonight. No loser points, good tank fuel and despite coming against the Wings it was neat to see an important moment play out.

Happy it wasn't another blow out loss against Montreal.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Trash is terrible and it's 2nd grade name calling.

He just does not get how to get the most out of his players and doesn't understand when to use certain players. Also my reply was to point out that he isn't some great developer of talent that some people like to think he is.
I think he is just playing dumb . Sitting Larkin, playing AA as center and other ideas . this all supposed to give us better position at draft . I hope we try to get Lafrenier next year

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Much more respectable.

1) Wings tried
2) Witkowski is way better than Bowey, big help last night.
3) They played physical and took the body every chance. There was a lot of checking this game.

I've got to reply to the "lazy" Mantha narrative. You ever think he's just not a top line forward? I've heard for 3 seasons how, "he could be a 50 goal scorer if he applied himself." He is what he is, and it's not about laziness. He's a terrific support player and will look a lot better when we have more talent.

Reactions: Jon Cusack

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Much more respectable.

1) Wings tried
2) Witkowski is way better than Bowey, big help last night.
3) They played physical and took the body every chance. There was a lot of checking this game.

I've got to reply to the "lazy" Mantha narrative. You ever think he's just not a top line forward? I've heard for 3 seasons how, "he could be a 50 goal scorer if he applied himself." He is what he is, and it's not about laziness. He's a terrific support player and will look a lot better when we have more talent.

He could just be what he is, but part of that is from a lack of consistent effort. Honestly, he has fewer nights off this season than last, imo.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Well we do have a Bertuzzi... :toothless

:jk:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
It's a dig @ Holland for losing Fedorov. Do I have to spell everything out for your guys?:help:

Holland didn't lose Fedorov anymore than Dombrowski lost Scherzer.

Mr. I made what he thought was a magnanimous offer to the both of them. 5/50 to Fedorov just before the lockout, 6/144 to Scherzer.

Fedorov took it and said "I gotta think on this" due to personal issues and the like and Mr. I instructed Holland to pull the offer because "that's a big enough offer you shouldn't have to think". Then when Fedorov came back and said "I want the 5/50", it was gone and down to 5/40 or less.

Scherzer was the same deal. Mr. I got personally offended that they didn't like his offer.

But yeah, Holland and Dombrowski are just jackasses that chased guys out of town and not guys yielding to the wishes of the dude who holds the checkbook. Same deal with like the Prince Fielder signing. Mr. I wants him so you go get him damn the costs.

It doesn't excuse Nielsen, Abby, or Helm, because I don't think Mr. I cared about those guys, but I do think a lot of the salary related stuff here is Mr. I wanted winners and would pay dearly for them. If a guy looked at his money (which he figured was a blank check) and spurned him, he said "**** em" and moved on.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Fedorov doesn't want his number retired either right?

Holland is the only high ranking Red Wings official that we have on record supporting retiring #91... I suggest you do a little more research on Fedorov's departure it is pretty well documented be it Gave or Custance and several sources out there due to his money managers trial. For you to lay blame at basically the one guy that doesn't have any blood on his hands in the situation is hilariously misinformed in my opinion...

Now Fedorov's departure actually is the only reason we held onto Datsyuk. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise because of the cap. In any event Fedorov's story is out there for those that want to put in the time, there is plenty of blame to go around between Devellano (ardently against his jersey retirement on record), Ilitch, Fedorov and several people in Fedorov's unfortunately for him poorly put together inner-circle. A guy that doesn't feature prominently in it is Holland who left the last meeting and asked Ilitch when he had permission to follow up and Mike Ilitch responded with he is gone, he shouldn't have to think about our offer... An offer the Wings made weaker 2 times during negotiations. This isn't Pavel screwing them over, the Ilitch family to me has always shared equal blame in Fedorov's departure and somehow they have pretty much always gotten away with it with huge tracks of our fanbase.

Last edited:

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Holland is the only high ranking Red Wings official that we have on record supporting retiring #91... I suggest you do a little more research on Fedorov's departure it is pretty well documented be it Gave or Custance and several sources out there due to his money managers trial. For you to lay blame at basically the one guy that doesn't have any blood on his hands in the situation is hilariously misinformed in my opinion...

Now Fedorov's departure actually is the only reason we held onto Datsyuk. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise because of the cap. In any event Fedorov's story is out there for those that want to put in the time, there is plenty of blame to go around between Devellano (ardently against his jersey retirement on record), Ilitch, Fedorov and several people in Fedorov's unfortunately for him poorly put together inner-circle. A guy that doesn't feature prominently in it is Holland who left the last meeting and asked Ilitch when he had permission to follow up and Mike Ilitch responded with he is gone, he shouldn't have to think about our offer... An offer the Wings made weaker 2 during negotiations. This isn't Pavel screwing them over, the Ilitch family to me has always shared equal blame in Fedorov's departure and somehow they have pretty much always gotten away with it with huge tracks of our fanbase.
There was no salary cap when Fedorov left for Anaheim.Wtf?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There was no salary cap when Fedorov left for Anaheim.Wtf?

Datsyuk doesn't get extended if we come out of the lockout needing to take Fedorov, Yzerman and Lidstrom forward. Our cap would have been a nightmare we would have needed to part with more guys. Zetterberg would have been the young guy priority and Datsyuk who at that point was a nightmare in the playoffs would have been turfed. Heck they almost traded him for Scott Gomez anyway. This is what I mean by I am not sure you have really looked at all the sliding pieces around Fedorov leaving and actually what him staying ultimately would have meant anyway.

There was more bleeding of talent to be done if we hold onto Fedorov and he agrees to the deals. Also part of why I have found the Ilitch families position on this and Devellano's position on it pretty perplexing. Fedorov's career never was quite as good and they used the flexibility to be the best team in the league under the new cap system to start. Hard to see that really working out great for us. But the reality is him staying has a dramatic impact on who is around after the lockout as he is locked in and we are keeping him.

Reactions: Mister Bungle

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Datsyuk doesn't get extended if we come out of the lockout needing to take Fedorov, Yzerman and Lidstrom forward. Our cap would have been a nightmare we would have needed to part with more guys. Zetterberg would have been the young guy priority and Datsyuk who at that point was a nightmare in the playoffs would have been turfed. Heck they almost traded him for Scott Gomez anyway. This is what I mean by I am not sure you have really looked at all the sliding pieces around Fedorov leaving and actually what him staying ultimately would have meant anyway.

There was more bleeding of talent to be done if we hold onto Fedorov and he agrees to the deals. Also part of why I have found the Ilitch families position on this and Devellano's position on it pretty perplexing. Fedorov's career never was quite as good and they used the flexibility to be the best team in the league under the new cap system to start. Hard to see that really working out great for us. But the reality is him staying has a dramatic impact on who is around after the lockout as he is locked in and we are keeping him.
Are you implying that a salary cap that wasn't even in place for years factored into the decision to lose Fedorov and they thought if there was one at a later date they would then lose Datsyuk? Sorry but that is nonsense man.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Are you implying that a salary cap that wasn't even in place for years factored into the decision to lose Fedorov and they thought if there was one at a later date they would then lose Datsyuk? Sorry but that is nonsense man.

No Fedorov walked away because we twice pulled offers off the table with his life in absolute turmoil. Now I understand the Ilitch family felt that was deserved for the RFA negotiation offer sheet he signed in Carolina. But I think plenty of blame is there to go around as while they certainly approached negotiations harsher they should have understood him firing his agent, being left by his wife at the time and him beginning to find out he had been massively defrauded was pretty hard on the guy. So he doesn't have an agent give me some time on 5 X 50, nope sorry you don't get any, he comes back to the table with his new agent and my oh my his offer has been completely pulled and now is down 10 million total. His final offer was less still in the meeting they were incredulous that he didn't sign for. I don't find Fedorov's position unreasonable in terms of how that all unfolded.

In any event yes the owners sort of knew that was coming down the pike. I do think that was a part of pulling the first big offer when he wasn't ready with an agent by the time he came back to the table with his new agent I think they had rethought the offer. Still Fedorov decided to move on after we had contentious negotiations with him which was his right.

If Fedorov accepted the 5 X 40 offer on the second negotiation with his deal it has massive implications when we build the team coming out of the lockout. Datsyuk who used leverage to get his deal upped bringing up the I could go back to Russia angle is probably told to pound sand if we have to figure out how to fit Fedorov. That is another 8 million pro-rated down the way they did on the cap but you're looking at who else you can trim to make that happen. Likely this is only possible with one of Datsyuk or Zetterberg not being extended to their bridge deals. It massively changes the picture as we have to cut 2 or 3 guys to make it happen. These aren't going to be a player that isn't significant they already went through Hatcher, McCarty, and Whitney to make it happen. Somebody we like on those championship teams pays the price and I think Rafalski is kept in the logic as an add they want with being a local guy that fixed a big hole defensively. So does it necessarily jettison Datsyuk, not really if you want to make an argument that likely wasn't being made at the time. I have heard there is no way he survives that trim if Fedorov is around and I happen to agree when I think back on just how challenging it was for Holland to put together the roster he did without Fedorov's big deal on the books.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad