GDT: Game 70 - CBJ at VAN - 8 Mar, 10pm

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
This team continues to outperform reasonable expectations. Why not for 12 more games? They play like they have to and in this parity obsessed league, they can gut it out across the finish line in a playoff spot.

When the injuries started happening at 11-14-4, I knew the season was over. I knew wrong:laugh:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Because I just looked at the schedule again. Brutal.
Look again.

Next two are very winnable. Pittsburgh and Nashville are playing like trash of late.

Of the remaining 10: NJ, NYI are very beatable. NYR had a nice run but lost Kreider and one of their goalies and are due to regress a bit. Not hard to see a CBJ win against them.

Toronto and Carolina are nothing special. CBJ could win one or both. Or lose both.

Washington is played tough by the CBJ. Winnable. Holtby is playing as terrible as Bob is.

The first Tampa game (@Tam) looks like a probable loss. Boston as well. Dallas will be tough-but they tend to play close games as the CBJ do. Probably a one goal game which could go our way. Also, the last game against Tampa (in Columbus) probably won't mean much to the Lightning.

I'd say that the odds of the CBJ making the playoffs are 50/50. Money Puck has the CBJ at 51.7% chance of making it-it was updated for the win vs VAN. Two other sites have them at roughly 28%-but that's before the win over VAN was factored in. These odds swing wildly at this time of the year after each game for "bubble" teams.

Elvis had 4 shutouts in 7 games (or was it 5 in 8?). A hot goalie for 12 games can carry a team into the playoffs. He's shown he's capable of incredible runs and I wouldn't put it past him to do it now. Torts is pushing all the right buttons with this motley crew and there's no reason to think that he won't do the same during the remaining dozen games.

Last edited:

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Look again.

Next two are very winnable. Pittsburgh and Nashville are playing like trash of late.

Of the remaining 10: NJ, NYI are very beatable. NYR had a nice run but lost Kreider and one of their goalies and are due to regress a bit. Not hard to see a CBJ win against them.

Toronto and Carolina are nothing special. CBJ could win one or both. Or lose both.

Washington is played tough by the CBJ. Winnable. Holtby is playing as terrible as Bob is.

The first Tampa game (@Tam) looks like a probable loss. Boston as well. Dallas will be tough-but they tend to play close games as the CBJ do. Probably a one goal game which could go our way. Also, the last game against Tampa (in Columbus) probably won't mean much to the Lightning.

I'd say that the odds of the CBJ making the playoffs are 50/50. Money Puck has the CBJ at 51.7% chance of making it-it was updated for the win vs VAN. Two other sites have them at roughly 28%-but that's before the win over VAN was factored in. These odds swing wildly at this time of the year after each game for "bubble" teams.

Elvis had 4 shutouts in 7 games (or was it 5 in 8?). A hot goalie for 12 games can carry a team into the playoffs. He's shown he's capable of incredible runs and I wouldn't put it past him to do it now. Torts is pushing all the right buttons with this motley crew and there's no reason to think that he won't do the same during the remaining dozen games.

love the optimism, seriously. we need more of it around here.

just one little side note, not to nitpick.. but Holtby is most definitely not playing as bad as Bob.

Holtby's last 10 games:

2.70 GAA
.910 save percentage
6-3-1

Bob's last 10 games:

3.10 GAA
.895 save percentage
3-6-1

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
And I remain sanguine about the playoffs. I think out odds of winning the lottery if we participate, are far higher than our odds of winning a playoff series if we participate. No offense to this team, they have had an amazing run, but my expectations are very low going forward.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Who do you think we should use down the stretch: Joonas or Elvis?
As far as I’m concerned, the battle is a tight race and whoever plays better will probably be the one still here next fall. I say play the hot hand until one cools off. I think Elvis has earned the next one.

Fireball23

Mar 5, 2014
does it really matter?
As far as I’m concerned, the battle is a tight race and whoever plays better will probably be the one still here next fall. I say play the hot hand until one cools off. I think Elvis has earned the next one.

Keep both.
This season is lost without them.
Injuries are always going to happen
Cap space for both.
Why trade. So yo
u can complain about mcbackup and this guy sucks.

Teams win the cup with 2 great tenders

Look at Fleury and Murray did for the Pens.

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
And I remain sanguine about the playoffs. I think out odds of winning the lottery if we participate, are far higher than our odds of winning a playoff series if we participate. No offense to this team, they have had an amazing run, but my expectations are very low going forward.

It's not everyday you see the word "sanguine" used on a message board. Props.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Keep both.
Cap space for both.
Why trade. So yo

Because both are RFA and both will be posturing for good pay increases and longer term commitment based on performance. Fleury was getting a big payday while Murray was still on an entry level deal I believe.

Sure we can afford it right now but is it wise when we need massive upgrades in scoring talent?

CBJ VGK

May 19, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
What a response last night after two disappointing finishes in Alberta.

Let me just say, if you have never made the trip to Edmonton, do it. That place is amazing and their fans could not have been kinder to us. Pretty much every Oiler fan admitted they should not have won that game and they were incredibly impressed with how the "AHL" guys showed up and played toe to toe with McDavid & Co.

Went with a group of 4 Columbus natives on Saturday night. Had all-access passes to the arena and was able to spend some time chatting with the media guys like McElligott, Rimer, Shelley and Maetzold the night before and night of the game. Great dudes. Based on my conversations with them, we should not expect any Jackets to return from injury before the regular season ends. With Atkinson being the lone (but slim) possibility.

The other palpable disappointment in the air, was the fact that Cam wasn't on the trip. Apparently he has relatives in Vancouver and they always send the team home on the flight with dozens of homemade cookies.

Apart from the 4 of us, there were only 4 other CBJ fans we saw in the entire arena. 2 kids and 2 young women. Amazingly, all 4 were Alberta natives who randomly just happened to like the Blue Jackets.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Not gonna lie... I thought when the Canucks got the goal that made it 2-1, it was going to happen again. You could tell, even watching from the other side of the continent, that the vibe in the building changed and Vancouver came to life. All the signs were there. Gotta give the Jackets credit for buckling down and finishing the game off.

Fireball23

Mar 5, 2014
does it really matter?
Because both are RFA and both will be posturing for good pay increases and longer term commitment based on performance. Fleury was getting a big payday while Murray was still on an entry level deal I believe.

Sure we can afford it right now but is it wise when we need massive upgrades in scoring talent?

I would rather have 2 goalies that can get us big wins. They are do not have a full season and or playoff tested either so a "BIG" paycheck isn't going to happen..

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

It's not everyday you see the word "sanguine" used on a message board. Props.

I have a guess why we don’t.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Keep both.
Cap space for both.
Why trade. So yo

I agree with this. No reason to move on from one as they're both RFA's. The competition is good.

If someone blows your socks off with an offer for one in the summer, you obviously do it, but there's no reason to explore a deal while we keep them both under control for at least another year.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Pleasantly surprised this morning when I saw the score. Cautiously optimistic about making the PO, and about advancing to a second round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad