Post-Game Talk: GAME #70: Canucks 4 vs. Rangers 1 (Boeser, Motte x2, Virtanen)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I know some posters are down on Motte....but he's an affordable, high-energy player who's motor never stops. He's got a place on my team any time, and now up to 11 goals on the season.

But watching Granlund out there is enough to make you want to throw something at the TV screen. Never seen a guy screw up so many passes; and shoot pucks directly at the goalie's crest. Surely he's one of the players the Canucks will be moving on from in the off-season. It really is time to go in a new direction with the third-fourth lines.
I like Motte as well, but I believe he has 9 goals.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
That dastardly Bettman is sooooo devious; gets his stooges to give us 2 5 minute PP's in order to gain 2 points on the Rags and ruin our draft chances. The fix is in...

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I know some posters are down on Motte....but he's an affordable, high-energy player who's motor never stops. He's got a place on my team any time, and now up to 11 goals on the season.

But watching Granlund out there is enough to make you want to throw something at the TV screen. Never seen a guy screw up so many passes; and shoot pucks directly at the goalie's crest. Surely he's one of the players the Canucks will be moving on from in the off-season. It really is time to go in a new direction with the third-fourth lines.
The same posters who are down on Motte will be singing his praises when we are good. He's a carbon copy of Jannik Hansen -- high hustle, wins pucks, great on the PK, and hands of stone. The hands of stone are more forgivable when your team doesn't suck. I guarantee you the perception of Motte will change within 2 years to reflect that (that is, if we're smart enough to keep him around). When I think of problems on this roster, I think -- slow, terrible turnovers, low defensive IQ, and unwillingness to battle/inability to win pucks.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Motte is roster filler where he is at right now.

Don't get me wrong, I love his hustle and his motor, but he's the guy you sub in when someone isn't playing as well as they could be. In a perfect world he would be a 13/14th forward for us, but our team is just...Ugh...

I'm glad we have him.

I hope we can keep him around, as without him....well Granlund and Eriksson with Beagle on the fourth line nightly...thinking about that makes me shudder.

I say put him on the power play until the end of the season, see if we can spark this development a lot of us are waiting on. Who knows, he might go Hansen/Burrrows on us.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
A shame. One of the rare REALLY bright spots signings from our pro scouts. I’ll have to eat a lot of crow on this one. Felt it was a horrible signing at first.

His play in the 65 games he's been healthy enough to play has been better than many of us anticipated, but his contract is 4 x $3 million so imo you have at least two years to go before you even have to think about eating crow.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
There’s people down on Motte? I haven’t seen much of that - I would assume largely because he’s paid fairly for what he brings. He’s not a perfect player, but he has his moments and largely hustles and gives opposing teams trouble with his speed.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Motte's speed is only noticed because he never has the puck himself and is forced to chase down everyone else. I get that he works hard but he's in a league full of top-tier athletes who also work hard and usually have more talent and smarts than Motte.

Has some of the league's worst shot differential stats and is probably our worst overall player at 5v5.

I'll give him credit for being decent on the penalty kill though.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
How do you tell players to lose on purpose? You don't usually make the NHL without a certain amount of pride and competitive spirit. We don't have a lot of skill and depth on our team, which is why we're in the bottom 6.

The players didn't write the contracts or create the systems. I hate the *****ing and complaining when they get their occasional wins.

Well, you have to factor in too that even though this is garbage time in terms of the standings for the Canucks as a team, for the players they're still trying/needing to play as hard as they can for their season stats and next contracts. 9 goals or 10 goals, 25 points or 30 points, etc?

Not really like you can tell the team, go lose on purpose.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Motte's speed is only noticed because he never has the puck himself and is forced to chase down everyone else. I get that he works hard but he's in a league full of top-tier athletes who also work hard and usually have more talent and smarts than Motte.

Has some of the league's worst shot differential stats and is probably our worst overall player at 5v5.
:laugh: Thanks for the chuckle, I needed that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->