2019 Stanley Cup Final Game 7 still stings

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Welcome to the jungle....we have cookies! :welcome::towel:
Thanks BMC. Cookies sound good to me! Anzacs are our local cookie, so let me contribute some to the thread:

Anzacs.jpg

aguineapig

I think the title of the thread is accurate - "stings" is a good word. Maybe because I'm older (59), I get over these losses easier than I used to. With the recent passing of one of our own members and someone who I know of who died way too young, priorities change and agonizing for months just isn't worth it. Don't get me wrong, I was crushed when we lost Game 7 and no doubt will be again in the future but I am looking forward to a brand new season coming up in just 57 days.
That about sums it up. And what Townes said,

To live's to fly
Both low and high
So shake the dust off of your wings
and tears out of your eye

Reactions: caz16

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
What about the often talked-about leadership of Chara and Bergeron, for example? If Backes were needed for leadership, then that's a indictment on Boston's other "leadership".

Which is why at first I Iaughed when we signed him and people talked about his leadership for the room. But with the amount of disappointments in the playoffs we have racked up it very well could be true
Several no shows with Julien's teams (early losses to Carolina, Washington, Habs) and now a Stanley Cup game 7 meltdown.

Perhaps they needed more leadership. Chara is the old scary grandpa noone wants to disappoint. Bergeron and Krejci don't seem like vocal leaders. Do people want to follow Marchand into battle? I'm not in the room so it's only speculation

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
We heard constantly during the season from the younger players that the B's leadership was helping the team in a big way. It makes no sense to think that there was all of a sudden a lack of leadership in the SCF. The Bs were worn down and had bad stretches of scoring even strength. Lack of leadership was not why the Bs lost the series. Not having Backes in the lineup was not even remotely why the Bs lost game 7. He was toast by that point. Avoiding making big mistakes and rising to the occasion and making big plays are what win championships. The Blues beat the Bs in game 7 in both departments.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the heat Marchand is getting. I thought I might be one of the only ones feeling that way, but I put it up there with Norwood, Buckner, etc. Maybe worse, because a hobbled Buckner was put in a position he shouldn't have been in.

So I'll go out on a limb and express that Rask, who I've always defended, also let me down. He had a unanimous Conn Smythe, a permanent silencing of his critics, and who knows - maybe even the Hall of Fame, there for the taking. He wasn't awful, but he picked the wrong day for perhaps his most average performance of the playoffs.

I know, technically the first goal wasn't his fault. Goalies are cut some slack on deflections and screens.

But I revisited Game 7 against Montreal from 2011. Thomas made three improbable saves on deflections in less than three minutes. Thomas' "Battle-fly" style may not be as technically clean as Rask's but it got the job done.

It's cued up to the OT if anyone wants to check it out.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
So I'll go out on a limb and express that Rask, who I've always defended, also let me down. He had a unanimous Conn Smythe, a permanent silencing of his critics, and who knows - maybe even the Hall of Fame, there for the taking. He wasn't awful, but he picked the wrong day for perhaps his most average performance of the playoffs.
I got ripped on here for expressing disdain at Rask's performance, but I still feel the same way. He crumbled when it mattered most, and he has a history of doing that.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I don't think a team that won a game 7 against a good team and rival, that made it all the way to game 7 of the finals despite injuries and bad officiating has problems with leadership or choking.

Rask had his least-good game of the playoffs and Marchand made his most boneheaded decision of the season, but I consider it a case of "shit happens"

It was pretty much all bad luck. They came out on fire and couldn't do anything, Binnington got incredibly lucky on a couple of those early saves, and O'Reilly pooches a deflection in on a counter attack.

Of all the players on the team, I feel the most gutted for Tuukka. He did it all and finally had his career-defining playoff run, shutting up his critics by dominating the Leafs in game 7, outdueling the over-hyped Bobrovsky in round two, playing solid through the ECF, then honestly looking vastly more impressive than Binnington in the finals. Then game 7 happens and it's all for naught and people are still whining about him being a loser. And one-year wonder rebound machine Binnington gets lucky on a few early shots and everyone acts like he stole the series and is the new Quick or whatever. I hate people. Can we start the season already and avenge this loss?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I don't think a team that won a game 7 against a good team and rival, that made it all the way to game 7 of the finals despite injuries and bad officiating has problems with leadership or choking.

Rask had his least-good game of the playoffs and Marchand made his most boneheaded decision of the season, but I consider it a case of "**** happens"

It was pretty much all bad luck. They came out on fire and couldn't do anything, Binnington got incredibly lucky on a couple of those early saves, and O'Reilly pooches a deflection in on a counter attack.

Of all the players on the team, I feel the most gutted for Tuukka. He did it all and finally had his career-defining playoff run, shutting up his critics by dominating the Leafs in game 7, outdueling the over-hyped Bobrovsky in round two, playing solid through the ECF, then honestly looking vastly more impressive than Binnington in the finals. Then game 7 happens and it's all for naught and people are still whining about him being a loser. And one-year wonder rebound machine Binnington gets lucky on a few early shots and everyone acts like he stole the series and is the new Quick or whatever. I hate people. Can we start the season already and avenge this loss?

Bruins best players were garbage for a majority of that series.

The Bergeron line was trash and had 2 even strength goals . Coyle line scored 2. Krejci and Debrusk one total between them. Once the refs put the whistle away they were sunk since their 5v5 play all year wasn't great. O'Reilly scored 5 ev goals by himself.

I see a shitload of excuse making here.

I do feel terrible for Rask, he deserved way better.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Rask deserves nothing. That type of talk should be reserved for goalies like Lundqvist who actually show up when it matters most only for their team to let them down.

Reactions: fin8

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Bruins best players were garbage for a majority of that series.

The Bergeron line was trash and had 2 even strength goals . Coyle line scored 2. Krejci and Debrusk one total between them. Once the refs put the whistle away they were sunk since their 5v5 play all year wasn't great. O'Reilly scored 5 ev goals by himself.

I see a ****load of excuse making here.

I do feel terrible for Rask, he deserved way better.
I'll beat the dead horse here and once again say not being able to score in the first 10 minute onslaught of game 7 was the dagger in their heart

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Excuse me but how many Stanley Cup Finals has Lundqvist been in?
Lundqvist in the playoffs between 2012-2015 was otherworldly.

Overall stats: 39-36, 2.05 GAA, .930 save %, 6 SO

He was great every year, between .927 and .934 save % all 4 years, but the breakdown of his stats is crazy.

In those 4 playoff years, he played 57 non-elimination games and recorded a .920 save % in those games. He then played in 19 elimination games, recording a 15-4 record and a .953 save %, never allowing more than 3 goals when the Rangers could be eliminated. 11 of those 15 wins were by 1 goal, and the Rangers scored 5 goals in the 4 losses, 2 of which went to OT.

If you want to extend the sample size a bit, between 2008 and 2015 Lundqvist had a .951 save % in 23 elimination games, with him having a 16-7 record and never letting in more than 3 goals.

Lundqvist is one of the most understood players in recent memory. He's a living legend who dragged horrible teams as far as he possibly could.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Lundqvist in the playoffs between 2012-2015 was otherworldly.

Overall stats: 39-36, 2.05 GAA, .930 save %, 6 SO

He was great every year, between .927 and .934 save % all 4 years, but the breakdown of his stats is crazy.

In those 4 playoff years, he played 57 non-elimination games and recorded a .920 save % in those games. He then played in 19 elimination games, recording a 15-4 record and a .953 save %, never allowing more than 3 goals when the Rangers could be eliminated. 11 of those 15 wins were by 1 goal, and the Rangers scored 5 goals in the 4 losses, 2 of which went to OT.

If you want to extend the sample size a bit, between 2008 and 2015 Lundqvist had a .951 save % in 23 elimination games, with him having a 16-7 record and never letting in more than 3 goals.

Lundqvist is one of the most understood players in recent memory. He's a living legend who dragged horrible teams as far as he possibly could.
But he couldn’t drag them far enough to win it all so it was all his fault like you state with Rask

Got it.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I got ripped on here for expressing disdain at Rask's performance, but I still feel the same way. He crumbled when it mattered most, and he has a history of doing that.

I think the issue is that you, and some others, were going to say this was “the story” if anything happened other than winning the Stanley Cup.

That’s called having an agenda, not being “realistic” as I’m sure you claim.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
But he couldn’t drag them far enough to win it all so it was all his fault like you state with Rask

Got it.
I've posted those Rask numbers enough where it should be completely clear that Rask has been a huge part of the problem why the Bruins lose elimination games more often than not.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->