2019 Stanley Cup Final Game 7 still stings

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Montreal radio who has been leading the charge for a more speed and skill league with less physical play and fighting has been playing Gloria every show and praising the Blues style. I don't see much changing at all

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Despite everything that happened in the Finals, the Bruins had game 7 at home and blew it. Not the refs or anything else, THEY blew it.....

I think the Blues deserve a lot more credit than is being given on this team's board...I suppose this is expected.

The Bruins had the Blues where they needed them. Home ice for a game 7. St. Louis was better, aside from the first period, and won the game fair and square. The refereeing rhetoric and even the very concept that the Bruins "rolled over" is a distraction technique, IMO, meant to take away credit from the team which played impressively and essentially dominated the league from February through to the end of the playoffs.

....that last sentence was difficult to write.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I think the Blues deserve a lot more credit than is being given on this team's board...I suppose this is expected.

The Bruins had the Blues where they needed them. Home ice for a game 7. St. Louis was better, aside from the first period, and won the game fair and square. The refereeing rhetoric and even the very concept that the Bruins "rolled over" is a distraction technique, IMO, meant to take away credit from the team which played impressively and essentially dominated the league from February through to the end of the playoffs.

Agreed.

While I do think the Bruins had the better team, they didn't get it done and the Blues took full advantage.

It is what it is...

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I personally think both followed Berube instructions

Had this been the 2011 team they both would have been beaten to their dental records

As a Neanderthal who has the revenge gene I wanted to not only win the Cup but have those two beat to ****

I’m still as pissed now as I was then

I HATE Barbashev & Sundqvist

What they did was dirty and the hit on Grzelcyk was a series changer

I need to stay away from hockey for awhile

I’m not ready for it and if they didn’t start for 4 months I would be good with it

This game 7 sticks with me like the 1986 WS did for 18 years and the 2007 SB till the Seattle win

It’s soft garbage like the Blues employ that still pisses me off

I know that feeling.
There's other Bruins losses that have just pissed me off to no end. This series was like the Carolina gong show and last years Peewee riffing against Tampa combined. Feels... ugh! Just

Gotta be careful though. Watching the Vikings spectacturally implode year after year has actually soured me to the NFL. I still watch and stuff but there's only so many heartbreaking losses a body can take. It'd be easier to be a Browns or Lions fan (Panthers, Blue Jackets) where you don't have the expectations.

Reactions: DKH

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Despite everything that happened in the Finals, the Bruins had game 7 at home and blew it. Not the refs or anything else, THEY blew it.....
Yeah agree, one of many times they have blown it at home in elimination games ,2011 was really an oddity ,I still haven’t moved on from this game, still pissed.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I know that feeling.
There's other Bruins losses that have just pissed me off to no end. This series was like the Carolina gong show and last years Peewee riffing against Tampa combined. Feels... ugh! Just

Gotta be careful though. Watching the Vikings spectacturally implode year after year has actually soured me to the NFL. I still watch and stuff but there's only so many heartbreaking losses a body can take. It'd be easier to be a Browns or Lions fan (Panthers, Blue Jackets) where you don't have the expectations.

Easy.

Some of us are Bruins and Red Sox fans from way back.

Reactions: b in vancouver

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Easy.

Some of us are Bruins and Red Sox fans from way back.

Sox were right up there also. As were the Bruins. But both finally won.

Vikes are next level of hell though. It's painful. Most of us just watch now to see what kind of creatively innovative new way they'll find to lose their most important game of the season - Blair Walsh barely gets into my top 10. Plus, y'know, the Herschel Walker trade. It's a nihlistic fanbase to say the least.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Ya , no kidding , cause it's not true. They had more points than anyone because they had more games.

Pro rated Tampa was better and the Bruins were equal.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I've yet to see a minute of the game. I listened to period one on Sat Radio. I made the decision to watch my 18 year old daughter play one of her last ever soccer games. I kept waiting for a goal, but it never came. I think St Louis smelled blood by getting to game 7 and "vancouvered" the bruins. I do truly believe this stanley cup was won by the momentum changing non call in game 5. If the 2-0 goal doesn't happen, it's a coin flip to who wins. If the Bruins win game 5, they win the cup in 6.

I'll be more excited when they sign Charlie and Carlo but I haven't look in to HF much this summer.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Ya , no kidding , cause it's not true. They had more points than anyone because they had more games.

Pro rated Tampa was better and the Bruins were equal.

They went 30-10-5 starting January 3rd. During that same period, the Bruins were 26-10-5.

Now...let's consider that for many of these games, the Blues were still starting who I think is possibly THE WORST starting goaltender in the league in Jake Allen. Binnington went 24-5-1 during the 2018-2019 regular season. It's pretty clear that with Binnington, the Blues would have been easily better than the Bruins during that time period.

My overall point is that this board loves talking about the Blues as if they are some "lucky" team who somehow walked into a Stanley Cup Final, but they were a great team during the second half of the year, quite possibly the very best in the league when they had a real goaltender in the net.

Discount the reality of it all you want. The fact remains that we lost and it was to a very good and very deserving team. And professional hockey players don't just decide to "not show up" for a game 7 Stanley Cup Final as is being implied.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I don't think lack of physical toughness was ultimately the reason for the Bruins' downfall; it was the lack of mental toughness. Did the Blues' physicality cause that?

Possibly.

But either way, Larry Robinson has the Cup so he can say whatever he wants.

But the Bruins' had chances throughout the series to grab control, but never could. They'd have a solid effort and a win, and then not match the intensity the next game. Sure the Blues responded very well after losses, but the B's made it easy for them.

And they mailed it in after Marchand's historic blunder made the lead 2-0, which let's face it - didn't have to be insurmountable. But the entire team looked defeated, and not because they were being physically manhandled.

I don't like saying this, but credit where it is due. The Blues and Binnington reminded me of the 2011 Bruins and Thomas, while the Bruins reminded me of the 2011 Canucks. On paper the better team, but wilted under pressure.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Bruins are drafting bigger now, so they can see how they get worn down vs the bigger teams and trying to prepare for it in the future, and be more hammer and less nail.

We are? Granted Beecher's a pretty big guy, and from free agency Ritchie's a solid unit, but that's about it. I'm not sure that really suggests too much at present. I think the front office is aware it's an issue, but I'm still not seeing anything yet that suggests it's seen as a particularly important one.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
We are? Granted Beecher's a pretty big guy, and from free agency Ritchie's a solid unit, but that's about it. I'm not sure that really suggests too much at present. I think the front office is aware it's an issue, but I'm still not seeing anything yet that suggests it's seen as a particularly important one.

Frederic, Studnicka, Beecher, Hall.....even Lauko and Olson are on the gritty ornery side. Could even trace it back to 15 where bigger wingers and a “chippy” defenseman were drafted over much better players that didn’t have the size or fortitude.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Frederic, Studnicka, Beecher, Hall.....even Lauko and Olson are on the gritty ornery side. Could even trace it back to 15 where bigger wingers and a “chippy” defenseman were drafted over much better players that didn’t have the size or fortitude.

Studnicka? He's smaller than Sean Kuraly and looks much more like a speed and skill player than someone who's going to throw his weight around. Hall perhaps but he was a 4th rounder who's a ways off yet - not exactly a sign of what the Bs are prioritising. Frederic's definitely got a bit of size and fight in him, I'll agree with that.

I'm just not convinced. We got 5 guys in this year's draft and 3 of them are under 6 feet tall and the other isn't much more and like the others doesn't strike me as the heavy aggro type. Hardly a sign that beefing up the squad is high on the front office's agenda.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Studnicka? He's smaller than Sean Kuraly and looks much more like a speed and skill player than someone who's going to throw his weight around. Hall perhaps but he was a 4th rounder who's a ways off yet - not exactly a sign of what the Bs are prioritising. Frederic's definitely got a bit of size and fight in him, I'll agree with that.

I'm just not convinced. We got 5 guys in this year's draft and 3 of them are under 6 feet tall and the other isn't much more and like the others doesn't strike me as the heavy aggro type. Hardly a sign that beefing up the squad is high on the front office's agenda.

Where are the Spooner, koko, JFK type picks of years past? Thank goodness they pulled the trigger w Pasta when they did. Also Studnicka is the same height as Kuraly.

JDB/Senny over Connor, Konency, Barzal…...Freddy over ADB, Steel, Kyrou....Beecher over Kaliyev, Brink....

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Where are the Spooner, koko, JFK type picks of years past? Thank goodness they pulled the trigger w Pasta when they did. Also Studnicka is the same height as Kuraly.

JDB/Senny over Connor, Konency, Barzal…...Freddy over ADB, Steel, Kyrou....Beecher over Kaliyev, Brink....
It's a good trend and as much as I hate on Sweeney at times he obviously sees that there is an issue trying to become the Canadiens. I am sure he and Neely see the game differently but maybe between the two of them the Bruins will reach a balance of size and toughness with speed and skill.

Tampa realized they needed some size and grit after getting smoked by Columbus last year, Maroon, Witkowski and Schenn getting signed and resigning Paquette makes them a much more physical team than the one that lost to Columbus. Even Toronto added some size in Kerfoot, Harpur and Wilson.

I think the league is starting to realize that there needs to be a balance between a team of just small and skilled players and having some guys who have size, hit, fight and a general nuisances to play against is still needed.
Hopefully Frederic and Beecher live up to expectation and Olson or Blidh surprise and make the team at some point.

member 96824

Going by the logic here I’m guessing Vancouver was a vastly superior team then us in 2011 but obviously the best team didn’t win the Cup

Nah, B’s outscored Vancouver 19-8 in 7 games. Different scenario.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
We didnt' even face the Caps with Tom Wilson or the Lightning who also have no problem running bruins. They along with St Louis don't seem to share the new approach to hockey view. Teams are going to run the Bruins every chance they get in the playoffs and the refs and the league won't mind one bit considering our history of playing the same way. I'd rather fight back than wait for calls and injuries.

i think the thing is, the league doesn't care if its the bruins getting run, or doing the running.

As someone a few posts above said, its 'a different league and a different era than 2011' and then went on to talk about the blues bullying their way to a cup win.

playoff hockey, i don't think that's a whole lot different than 2011 was.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
i think the thing is, the league doesn't care if its the bruins getting run, or doing the running.

As someone a few posts above said, its 'a different league and a different era than 2011' and then went on to talk about the blues bullying their way to a cup win.

playoff hockey, i don't think that's a whole lot different than 2011 was.

It wasn't, except this time it was the local heroes that got run all over the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad