2019 Stanley Cup Final Game 7 still stings

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I loved Lucic punching Burrows in the head when he was down on the ice, and Marchand low bridging Sedin to avoid a hit.
If I could have operated my phone correctly behind the net in game 3 you would have seen Lucic very calmly look into Burrows eyes and repeatedly call him everything - a ducking p***y was the nicest

Burrows was scared shitless - absolutely afraid

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, the Blues were more physical, but you're not being honest with us if you think they weren't also headhunting.
The Blues are not tough

I would not want to fight McQuaid Thornton Lucic or Chara

Barbashev or Sundvist lol - bring them on

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Not that I don't agree with you about fighting those guys, but what does that have to do with headhunting and being physical?
I personally think both followed Berube instructions

Had this been the 2011 team they both would have been beaten to their dental records

As a Neanderthal who has the revenge gene I wanted to not only win the Cup but have those two beat to shit

I’m still as pissed now as I was then

I HATE Barbashev & Sundqvist

What they did was dirty and the hit on Grzelcyk was a series changer

I need to stay away from hockey for awhile

I’m not ready for it and if they didn’t start for 4 months I would be good with it

This game 7 sticks with me like the 1986 WS did for 18 years and the 2007 SB till the Seattle win

It’s soft garbage like the Blues employ that still pisses me off

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I personally think both followed Berube instructions

Had this been the 2011 team they both would have been beaten to their dental records

As a Neanderthal who has the revenge gene I wanted to not only win the Cup but have those two beat to ****

I’m still as pissed now as I was then

I HATE Barbashev & Sundqvist

What they did was dirty and the hit on Grzelcyk was a series changer

I need to stay away from hockey for awhile

I’m not ready for it and if they didn’t start for 4 months I would be good with it

This game 7 sticks with me like the 1986 WS did for 18 years and the 2007 SB till the Seattle win

It’s soft garbage like the Blues employ that still pisses me off

I don't recall, Did Rome get that kind of beating in 2011?

member 96824

Just got to see the Robinson quote after being reminded that I
am allergic to bee venom.

All those quotes did was reinforce what I have been saying since the finals, the tougher, bigger, more aggressive team who had a superior will to win beat the smaller team that offered little push back.

Brett Ritchie is not going to be enough to change this equation going into next season, the Blues handed the league a blueprint of how to beat the Bruins, much like the Bruins have in how to beat the Leafs.

I’m no expert, but I don’t anticipate many teams employing a strategy of never touching the puck, getting outshot 12-4, and waiting for Marchand to make a pee wee level decision to change.

But I hope they do.

Funny how if Mojo buries one of his 3 incredible chances in the first, the physicality narrative wouldn’t matter.

Correlation =/= causation.

The reality is that a f***ing puck hitting Chara in the jaw had more impact on the entire series than scrubs like Maroon...I guess we should employ more physical pucks at the TD garden.

G7 still stings, but not because they were outworked. One horrid decision and some bad luck changed the entire game. The Bruins were the better team

Last edited by a moderator:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Binnington has two bad games and Bruins fans harp on his '.902 sv ptg' as some sort of saving grace. Lame

2 games, 9 goals, 5 games 9 goals. Hmmmm. Terrible series. Gave up one more goal than our goalie, so what does that say about Tuuk?

As far as head hunting, they humiliated the Canucks physically, as did the Blues us.

Comparing the '11 Bruins to what the Blues did is incredibly lazy.

The '11 Bruins were more comparable to Columbus against us this past run. Hit hard, hit often, hit to hurt not injure.

Yoko Ono

Jun 8, 2019
Binnington has two bad games and Bruins fans harp on his '.902 sv ptg' as some sort of saving grace. Lame

2 games, 9 goals, 5 games 9 goals. Hmmmm. Terrible series. Gave up one more goal than our goalie, so what does that say about Tuuk?

As far as head hunting, they humiliated the Canucks physically, as did the Blues us.
I still don't remember two 2011 Bruins being suspended for cheap headshots and those were only 2 that the league acknowledged there were several more not called. I can't argue the physical part the Looze were better at it.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Different people see and interpret the same games and plays differently, and each perspective can be perfectly legitimate, although of course some takes are simply flat-out wrong.

Personally I didn’t see the Bs shying away from physical play in the SCF – they took the hits, gave their own fair share in the run of play when possible, and for the most part didn’t back down from a hard-fought contest. But what I did observe was an unwillingness to make things actively uncomfortable for the opposition and try and put them off their game, whether that was by making pointed ‘take notice’ hits, fighting back against their enforcers, trying to rough up and disrupt Binnington a bit, or just generally trying to increase the physicality and rule-bending aspects of their play to match what the Blues were bringing. I’m not saying this is right or wrong, but that’s what I made of what I saw.

As this occurred for pretty much the whole series, clearly the direction was coming from the top – Cassidy & co. had little interest in buying into what the Blues were doing, trying to disrupt it, or in trying to play a more intimidating, heavy form of hockey. On the political front we set the refs straight after they went way too far in game 5, but that was about it. Instead they believed in what they were doing and their own plans and mostly stuck with them in anticipation that would be enough to do the job. It’s easy in hindsight to say that this was a mistake, since we lost. But if Marchand or MoJo buried one of their early chances in game 7, as they really should have, then we’re probably not having this conversation and they all look like geniuses and heroes. The margin between ultimate success and failure was tiny. It's also worth asking whether our team actually had it in them to engage in the rough stuff, if it would have had any effect, and whether it would instead have only made things worse.

But all this is in the past. The question now is what the Bs do, and what should they do, going forwards? If we want to see a more physical, heavy, aggressive team with more willingness to push back against opponents, how do they achieve that in the short-term? What would you be willing to sacrifice for it – in the modern NHL almost nothing comes without cost. Or would you rather the Bruins largely stick with their fairly effective template (emphasizing system, compete, skill, intelligence, speed, team defense or however exactly you want to define it) from the last couple of years?

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Bergeron was hurt in SCF again and the rest of the skill players did not want to pay the price to take the puck to the net/scoring areas. Cant win shooing 30 footers all game long.

member 96824

Bergeron was hurt in SCF again and the rest of the skill players did not want to pay the price to take the puck to the net/scoring areas. Cant win shooing 30 footers all game long.

We had 4 more goals than them in 7 games. Scoring more goals than the Blues in the 7 game series was not really an issue, it was the order they came in.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I still don't remember two 2011 Bruins being suspended for cheap headshots and those were only 2 that the league acknowledged there were several more not called. I can't argue the physical part the Looze were better at it.

Marchand got suspended 5 games a few months later for the same cherry bailout he did in game 6. Was a different world back then.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Marchand got suspended 5 games a few months later for the same cherry bailout he did in game 6. Was a different world back then.

The league certainly tried to crack down on the Bruins style of play. Unfortunately they still give the green light to teams playing Boston.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Different people see and interpret the same games and plays differently, and each perspective can be perfectly legitimate, although of course some takes are simply flat-out wrong.

Personally I didn’t see the Bs shying away from physical play in the SCF – they took the hits, gave their own fair share in the run of play when possible, and for the most part didn’t back down from a hard-fought contest. But what I did observe was an unwillingness to make things actively uncomfortable for the opposition and try and put them off their game, whether that was by making pointed ‘take notice’ hits, fighting back against their enforcers, trying to rough up and disrupt Binnington a bit, or just generally trying to increase the physicality and rule-bending aspects of their play to match what the Blues were bringing. I’m not saying this is right or wrong, but that’s what I made of what I saw.

As this occurred for pretty much the whole series, clearly the direction was coming from the top – Cassidy & co. had little interest in buying into what the Blues were doing, trying to disrupt it, or in trying to play a more intimidating, heavy form of hockey. On the political front we set the refs straight after they went way too far in game 5, but that was about it. Instead they believed in what they were doing and their own plans and mostly stuck with them in anticipation that would be enough to do the job. It’s easy in hindsight to say that this was a mistake, since we lost. But if Marchand or MoJo buried one of their early chances in game 7, as they really should have, then we’re probably not having this conversation and they all look like geniuses and heroes. The margin between ultimate success and failure was tiny. It's also worth asking whether our team actually had it in them to engage in the rough stuff, if it would have had any effect, and whether it would instead have only made things worse.

But all this is in the past. The question now is what the Bs do, and what should they do, going forwards? If we want to see a more physical, heavy, aggressive team with more willingness to push back against opponents, how do they achieve that in the short-term? What would you be willing to sacrifice for it – in the modern NHL almost nothing comes without cost. Or would you rather the Bruins largely stick with their fairly effective template (emphasizing system, compete, skill, intelligence, speed, team defense or however exactly you want to define it) from the last couple of years?

Bruins are drafting bigger now, so they can see how they get worn down vs the bigger teams and trying to prepare for it in the future, and be more hammer and less nail.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Blues may go through the same thing, but as far as I can see it's only the Bruins fans whining and not the team, so maybe not. The Canucks whined a lot after that 2011 series.

Ya nobody in the league is going to have sympathy for Bruins getting targeted except our own fans. In 2011 all the Bruins haters jumped on the Vancouver bandwagon in whining about the Bruins style of play. Wouldnt imagine the blues to have as many critics of their play as Boston has had

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad