2019 Stanley Cup Final Game 7 still stings

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Binnington has two bad games and Bruins fans harp on his '.902 sv ptg' as some sort of saving grace. Lame

2 games, 9 goals, 5 games 9 goals. Hmmmm. Terrible series. Gave up one more goal than our goalie, so what does that say about Tuuk?

As far as head hunting, they humiliated the Canucks physically, as did the Blues us.

I didn’t feel very humiliated, I felt like we got beat by a team that played better hockey. The team wasn’t flopping around, biting players, spearing dicks, and head hunting like the canucks were. If I was a fan of a team and they did that I would absolutely be humiliated.

Sometimes the other team is bigger and more physical- that’s not embarrassing to me. It just is what it is. I wouldn’t want them to change how they played based off of what the blues are doing. You can’t let them dictate the flow of the game and you can’t let them change your identity as team after you’ve gotten all the way through the playoffs to the end.

Reactions: PB37

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It was a back-handed compliment, of the kind people make when what they really want to do is polish their own brass. 'Oh that Krug is very good and a tough guy, but we still cracked him and sent him running'.

Well yes he is Larry, but no you DIDN'T.

The real heart and point behind this discussion is that some fans want the Bs to field a bigger, heavier, tougher, meaner line-up, and until that happens they will scarce be satisfied and will continue to see its absence as a reason for their failures.

I have some sympathy with this position - a bit more weight to throw around, and some added fear factor, would do the Bruins some good. But I question how much, and at what cost. I also wonder if to some extent it's pointless and just a source of empty frustration to keep hoping for it when it doesn't look like eventuating anytime soon. Some bigger, tougher bodies and everything that comes with them are definitely on the radar for our management, in that it's acknowledged as something we'd ideally like more of, but from everything that's said and our recent recruitment and selection strategies, it seems to be pretty low on the list of priorities. There are simply things that our front office and coaching staff appear to value more.

This is the same management and strategy that just took us within a game of a Cup. Yeah we could'a, should'a actually won the thing. But based on getting so very close, right now I'm willing to accept that they know what they're doing and to support it.

Krug had one good game the entire series and was pretty much a non factor offensively the other six. Whatever they did they effectively took him out of the series.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I didn’t feel very humiliated, I felt like we got beat by a team that played better hockey. The team wasn’t flopping around, biting players, spearing dicks, and head hunting like the canucks were. If I was a fan of my team and they did that I would absolutely be humiliated.

Sometimes the other team is bigger and more physical- that’s not embarrassing to me. It just is what it is. I wouldn’t want them to change how they played based off of what the blues are doing. You can’t let them dictate the flow of the game.

I loved Lucic punching Burrows in the head when he was down on the ice, and Marchand low bridging Sedin to avoid a hit.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I loved Lucic punching Burrows in the head when he was down on the ice, and Marchand low bridging Sedin to avoid a hit.

Yeah those were great. I still pull up the low bridge on a monthly basis, it was hilarious

I love it when they are the bully but this is a different team in a different era of hockey, as sad as that may be. I think there is a difference between bullying and imposing your will when you’re being the hammer and acting like a weasel when you’re being the nail (like Burrows and company did). I didn’t think the bruins were greasy weasels. Maybe they should’ve been but I don’t think that changes things. Didn’t change things for Vancouver, they only made the physically dominant team angrier

Reactions: Strafer

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Yeah those were great. I still pull up the low bridge on a monthly basis, it was hilarious

I love it when they are the bully but this is a different team in a different era of hockey, as sad as that may be. I think there is a difference between bullying and imposing your will when you’re being the hammer and acting like a weasel when you’re being the nail (like Burrows and company did). I didn’t think the bruins were greasy weasels. Maybe they should’ve been but I don’t think that changes things. Didn’t change things for Vancouver, they only made the physically dominant team angrier

We didnt' even face the Caps with Tom Wilson or the Lightning who also have no problem running bruins. They along with St Louis don't seem to share the new approach to hockey view. Teams are going to run the Bruins every chance they get in the playoffs and the refs and the league won't mind one bit considering our history of playing the same way. I'd rather fight back than wait for calls and injuries.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
We didnt' even face the Caps with Tom Wilson or the Lightning who also have no problem running bruins. They along with St Louis don't seem to share the new approach to hockey view. Teams are going to run the Bruins every chance they get in the playoffs and the refs and the league won't mind one bit considering our history of playing the same way. I'd rather fight back than wait for calls and injuries.

Bruins held up well vs CBS tho.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Lightning are definitely one of the front runners of the " new " brand of speed and skill hockey.

Reactions: Strafer

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Most teams don't hit to maim and injure the way St Louis did - Columbus for example hit to hurt as hockey players do and the Bruins could handle that. Tampa is a team to watch out for of course but every team has to be worried about that with their bottom players and Kucherov.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
In this day and age officiating should be down to a science. On ice officials need to be judged just as the players on the ice are.
But then again, some are judged and some are "JUDGED." This business of saying "well, team "A" did it then so team "B" has
the right to injury players because team "A" did it 9 years ago is bull****. There needs to be standards that these officials and their supervisors
need to set and keep. When a player gets his neck broken, loses and eye it will be a shame and a sham. When watching the NHL, I keep wondering
"what year is this, and whose life is going to end or be changed forever by the leagues intransigence." The lawyer at the top (Bettman) doesn't seem to
care.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Just got to see the Robinson quote after being reminded that I
am allergic to bee venom.

All those quotes did was reinforce what I have been saying since the finals, the tougher, bigger, more aggressive team who had a superior will to win beat the smaller team that offered little push back.

Brett Ritchie is not going to be enough to change this equation going into next season, the Blues handed the league a blueprint of how to beat the Bruins, much like the Bruins have in how to beat the Leafs.

The Bruins have responded by drafting bigger, grittier players with speed in Beecher and Frederic and have added some grit in guys like Olson and Hall but besides Frederic those players are years away if they ever make the NHL.

One of the "throw aways" for cap space or just to "clear room" from many this off season has been Kevin Miller, while I recognize Miller has an extensive injury history he is exactly the type of D they need in the bottom 3, Clifton will help as well.

At the end of the day they are not big enough or gritty enough to win it all, toughness and grit are easier to fill on a roster than the second line RW that has been missing since Horton left, Par Lindholm is not the answer, besides being a good face off man I don't even know what the question with that signing was, can't score, not physical and this is one of the moves Sweeney makes after watching his team not be tough enough (mentally or physically) to win game 7.

The best you can do at this point is move Frederic to wing, his shot and size and not having to worry about defensive responsibilities of a center may allow him to be productive and become at worst a slower Miles Wood at best Josh Anderson. Put Ritchie in the line up as well, those two along with Wagner and Kuraly will provide some aggressiveness. Gaunce, while not overly physical is big and very good defensively, he and Nordstrom can be your 13th forward working in and out of the line up.

The long term solution to me is to continue to draft bigger, aggressive, fast players with character. If given a choice between a player with questionable character/work ethic with a higher ceiling or a gritty, committed player who may only have bottom six potential take the better character player, which Sweeney seems to be doing. The other option is over paying with prospects for an Anderson/Bennett/younger Simmonds/Backes.

Sitting back and watching the Boston Bruins shy away from physical play should not be an option in any way, shape or form.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Agree.

But we sort of stopped trying to score even strength and just were waiting for PPs. Game 3 sure that’s fine but you can’t expect 4 wins that way.

Reactions: LSCII

Orr2Neely8

Apr 15, 2010
Raynham

All those quotes did was reinforce what I have been saying since the finals, the tougher, bigger, more aggressive team who had a superior will to win beat the smaller team that offered little push back.

Brett Ritchie is not going to be enough to change this equation going into next season, the Blues handed the league a blueprint of how to beat the Bruins, much like the Bruins have in how to beat the Leafs.

The Bruins have responded by drafting bigger, grittier players with speed in Beecher and Frederic and have added some grit in guys like Olson and Hall but besides Frederic those players are years away if they ever make the NHL.

One of the "throw aways" for cap space or just to "clear room" from many this off season has been Kevin Miller, while I recognize Miller has an extensive injury history he is exactly the type of D they need in the bottom 3, Clifton will help as well.

At the end of the day they are not big enough or gritty enough to win it all, toughness and grit are easier to fill on a roster than the second line RW that has been missing since Horton left, Par Lindholm is not the answer, besides being a good face off man I don't even know what the question with that signing was, can't score, not physical and this is one of the moves Sweeney makes after watching his team not be tough enough (mentally or physically) to win game 7.

The best you can do at this point is move Frederic to wing, his shot and size and not having to worry about defensive responsibilities of a center may allow him to be productive and become at worst a slower Miles Wood at best Josh Anderson. Put Ritchie in the line up as well, those two along with Wagner and Kuraly will provide some aggressiveness. Gaunce, while not overly physical is big and very good defensively, he and Nordstrom can be your 13th forward working in and out of the line up.

The long term solution to me is to continue to draft bigger, aggressive, fast players with character. If given a choice between a player with questionable character/work ethic with a higher ceiling or a gritty, committed player who may only have bottom six potential take the better character player, which Sweeney seems to be doing. The other option is over paying with prospects for an Anderson/Bennett/younger Simmonds/Backes.

Sitting back and watching the Boston Bruins shy away from physical play should not be an option in any way, shape or form.
Great post ! Well said....!

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Agree.

But we sort of stopped trying to score even strength and just were waiting for PPs. Game 3 sure that’s fine but you can’t expect 4 wins that way.

Totally agree with that, the five on five play was simply not there and they did not deserve to win the cup

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
It's strange. Friends and my hockey-mad nephews in their 20s are really jealous of The Bruins - the success, no tank years, the players and their contracts, their drafting, that they have an identity and poised for more...
but damn I'm frustrated that they only came out of this run with only one Cup. I love this team but seriously... f***!

That first period of game 7 was ridiculous. That period and the uncalled head-shots. The Blues are a very good team but... UGH!
This series, The Caps, The Habs and 19 seconds against Chicago. And the Philly series.

Reactions: BMC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Nothing will ever hurt me like that philly series hurt me

This cup loss? I can live with it. I don’t feel like they were robbed and I don’t feel like they choked

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Nothing will ever hurt me like that philly series hurt me

This cup loss? I can live with it. I don’t feel like they were robbed and I don’t feel like they choked
It barely bothers me considering they won the Cup and took out Philly in 4 games after they were up 3-0 the next year. It's like I look at that as any other loss more or less upon reflection.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It barely bothers me considering they won the Cup and took out Philly in 4 games after they were up 3-0 the next year. It's like I look at that as any other loss more or less upon reflection.

Now looking back on it I feel the same way you do. At the time when that game 7 lead was blown- I was ok with dying

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Now looking back on it I feel the same way you do. At the time when that game 7 lead was blown- I was ok with dying
I think as an emotional response it was very much so that way because you just knew the Bruins would be the butt of the joke and be the answer to a trivia question for years, but I think with a bit of reflection (even before the 2011 run) you can look back at that collapse and understand that the Bruins were straight up not a good team (could you imagine the 2010 Bruins vs. the 2010 Hawks?) and the Krejci injury was majorly impactful. I think 2009 upon reflection is worse because that team had a lot more upside and lost to an inferior Canes team.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
My only thing about 2010 is that people still make fun of us about it, yet you never hear a peep about the 2014 Sharks.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
In this day and age officiating should be down to a science. On ice officials need to be judged just as the players on the ice are.
But then again, some are judged and some are "JUDGED." This business of saying "well, team "A" did it then so team "B" has
the right to injury players because team "A" did it 9 years ago is bull****. There needs to be standards that these officials and their supervisors
need to set and keep. When a player gets his neck broken, loses and eye it will be a shame and a sham. When watching the NHL, I keep wondering
"what year is this, and whose life is going to end or be changed forever by the leagues intransigence." The lawyer at the top (Bettman) doesn't seem to
care.

Just silly.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Binnington has two bad games and Bruins fans harp on his '.902 sv ptg' as some sort of saving grace. Lame

2 games, 9 goals, 5 games 9 goals. Hmmmm. Terrible series. Gave up one more goal than our goalie, so what does that say about Tuuk?

As far as head hunting, they humiliated the Canucks physically, as did the Blues us.
Yeah, the Blues were more physical, but you're not being honest with us if you think they weren't also headhunting.

Reactions: BMC and Chief Nine

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

I agree with most of this actually. But "shy away from physical play"? Come on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->