2019 Stanley Cup Final Game 7 still stings

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
St-louis might find they are getting a lot of penalties next year and they to will wonder why

I remember it happening with the bruins after they won the cup being physical, it’s a very good point. Feel like we got the short end of the stick on calls for like 5 years afterwards (basically until they missed the playoffs for the first time)

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Still love the song, though.

Attachments

• 113953FB-5515-4F0F-A75D-9C3693AC3597.png
    113953FB-5515-4F0F-A75D-9C3693AC3597.png
    493.2 KB · Views: 5

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
And what’s that next sentence he says after the bolded?

Krug may be the only small guy around that can seem to take a pounding and can still play, but even him, after a while, we had guys running at him and he was shying away from the corners because he didn’t want to get hit.

what he said was the truth.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Krug may be the only small guy around that can seem to take a pounding and can still play, but even him, after a while, we had guys running at him and he was shying away from the corners because he didn’t want to get hit.

what he said was the truth.

Bet you won’t find any examples if you rewatch

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm not buying what Robinson is trying to sell. I think it's lazy thinking and not accurate. I've got the entire series still DVRed and i can't pinpoint anytime where Krug was shying away from going into the corners. Can anyone point out when and where this was happening and share with it here?

The Blues were bigger and more physical to go along with their headshots but the Bruins responded to that with one of their more physical series in the playoffs and didn't back down. I don't think it was a huge factor in the series and its basically just bulletin board dick measuring after the fact. How many years have we spent watching the 70s/80s/90s Bruins be more physical but lose series?

I thought the Bruins had a good enough blend of skill and physicality to win. They took it to a G7 SCF. A better perfomance ( not physicality ) by the top 6, and they most likely pull it off. MoJo scoring on his two glorious chances ( not physicality ) and it's a different hockey game. Binnington's armpit hair save on Marchand's PP chance and 63's subsequent line change gafffe was also a huge swing point. I look at things like that as more tangible reasons for losing, not highly subjective material.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Bet you won’t find any examples if you rewatch

bet i would.

weird to me that so many people don't want to admit it, hard to fault the guy.

either getting hurt or just having the body beat up, or the inability to make any type of play when you are constantly getting crushed when you touch the puck.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
bet i would.

either getting hurt or just having the body beat up, or the inability to make any type of play when you are constantly getting crushed when you touch the puck.

Please go for it. I have yet to see it, after several rewatches. Krug battled all series long, took and gave shots.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
I'm not buying what Robinson is trying to sell. I think it's lazy thinking and not accurate. I've got the entire series still DVRed and i can't pinpoint anytime where Krug was shying away from going into the corners. Can anyone point out when and where this was happening and share with it here?

The Blues were bigger and more physical to go along with their headshots but the Bruins responded to that with one of their more physical series in the playoffs and didn't back down. I don't think it was a huge factor in the series and its basically just bulletin board dick measuring after the fact. How many years have we spent watching the 70s/80s/90s Bruins be more physical but lose series?

I thought the Bruins had a good enough blend of skill and physicality to win. They took it to a G7 SCF. A better perfomance ( not physicality ) by the top 6, and they most likely pull it off. MoJo scoring on his two glorious chances ( not physicality ) and it's a different hockey game. Binnington's armpit hair save on Marchand's PP chance and 63's subsequent line change gafffe was also a huge swing point. I look at things like that as more tangible reasons for losing, not highly subjective material.

i'm gonna go ahead and just disagree 100% here.

that would be like saying the 2011 Bruins cup win, the bruins were more physical but Van responded to that with one of their more physical series in the playoffs and didn't back down. I don't think it was a huge factor in the series

its just not true.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
bet i would.

Can you name any Bruins that the blues should be intimidated by? An old Chara was about it. Our top 6 had lots of skill but hardly an intimidating physical presence.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
i'm gonna go ahead and just disagree 100% here.

that would be like saying the 2011 Bruins cup win, the bruins were more physical but Van responded to that with one of their more physical series in the playoffs and didn't back down. I don't think it was a huge factor in the series

its just not true.

Again, lazy way of thinking. So because this series reminded you of that series, then the outcome happened because of the same reasons. Yeah, definitely not buying that.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I remember it happening with the bruins after they won the cup being physical, it’s a very good point. Feel like we got the short end of the stick on calls for like 5 years afterwards (basically until they missed the playoffs for the first time)
Remember Chara getting the boarding penalty the night after the Patches hit? Think initial contact on that one was still inside the centre ice circle. Greatest call I’ve been ever seen.

As for game 7, I thought they ran out of answers after they were scored on. I don’t know if I’d pin it on the defence, but I do know their forwards don’t do a good enough job at getting inside opposing dmen and posting up in front of goaltenders.

You can get away with finesse scoring some nights. They’ve got a good enough power play to do that. When that well went dry though they didn’t have the players capable of making a rookie goaltender in a game 7 of the SCF uncomfortable in the net. That’s on the forwards. Specifically the top 6 who should’ve known better.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Again, lazy way of thinking. So because this series reminded you of that series, then the outcome happened because of the same reasons. Yeah, definitely not buying that.

Not what i said, but its pretty accurate.

nothing lazy about the analogy at all, especially when its pretty accurate.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Please go for it. I have yet to see it, after several rewatches. Krug battled all series long, took and gave shots.

I’ve got all day, I have a feeling they’re not going to come

like I said before, generally speaking Robinson is 100% correct in my opinion. I think the blues style of play wore a lot of Bruins down. The singling out of krug Is where he ventures off course

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I’ve got all day, I have a feeling they’re not going to come

like I said before, generally speaking Robinson is 100% correct in my opinion. I think the blues style of play wore a lot of Bruins down. The singling out of krug Is where he ventures off course

When I first read it, it sounded like he was complementing Krug.

Singling Krug out as "may be the only small guy around that can take a pounding and still play....."

Yoko Ono

Jun 8, 2019
Man this is some world class Poutineville whining right here?

Bruins weren't great 5v5 all year. Plus the Blues used the exact blueprint the Bruins did in 2011 yet that was fine?

How was Binnington's goaltending after a loss in the series? How is it in the deciding game?

Help me here I watched the 2011 finals and I don't remember headhunting being in the Bruins blueprint. Not sure what to think of Binnington and his .902 save percentage I just hope he keeps that up this season.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Larry Robinson is a mother****ing Hab who now works for those twatwaffles in St. Louis. I wouldn't believe him if he said water was wet :rant: :madfire:

It does make him more likely to say exactly how he feels. I'm not shocked the game plan was the run the Bruins.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
No one was shying away but you have to be smart if your smaller than guys not trying to play hockey and just head hunting. Ask Gryzlyck who took a big hit when he should have shied away and avoided the cheap shot at all costs cause the St. Louis scrub was going for a dirty hit.

Krug had a phenomenal playoffs question is can he do it again or 6 or 7 more times should we extend him.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Can we do away with this thread, and look toward the future and forget the past.

Bruins are a great team and will be in the years to come. We'll beat Toronto again next year, Montreal will be 'meh' again.

We will have another Cup shortly I honestly believe.

@DKH 2020.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
When I first read it, it sounded like he was complementing Krug.

Singling Krug out as "may be the only small guy around that can take a pounding and still play....."

It was a back-handed compliment, of the kind people make when what they really want to do is polish their own brass. 'Oh that Krug is very good and a tough guy, but we still cracked him and sent him running'.

Well yes he is Larry, but no you DIDN'T.

The real heart and point behind this discussion is that some fans want the Bs to field a bigger, heavier, tougher, meaner line-up, and until that happens they will scarce be satisfied and will continue to see its absence as a reason for their failures.

I have some sympathy with this position - a bit more weight to throw around, and some added fear factor, would do the Bruins some good. But I question how much, and at what cost. I also wonder if to some extent it's pointless and just a source of empty frustration to keep hoping for it when it doesn't look like eventuating anytime soon. Some bigger, tougher bodies and everything that comes with them are definitely on the radar for our management, in that it's acknowledged as something we'd ideally like more of, but from everything that's said and our recent recruitment and selection strategies, it seems to be pretty low on the list of priorities. There are simply things that our front office and coaching staff appear to value more.

This is the same management and strategy that just took us within a game of a Cup. Yeah we could'a, should'a actually won the thing. But based on getting so very close, right now I'm willing to accept that they know what they're doing and to support it.

Reactions: PB37 and Estlin

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Help me here I watched the 2011 finals and I don't remember headhunting being in the Bruins blueprint. Not sure what to think of Binnington and his .902 save percentage I just hope he keeps that up this season.

Binnington has two bad games and Bruins fans harp on his '.902 sv ptg' as some sort of saving grace. Lame

2 games, 9 goals, 5 games 9 goals. Hmmmm. Terrible series. Gave up one more goal than our goalie, so what does that say about Tuuk?

As far as head hunting, they humiliated the Canucks physically, as did the Blues us.

Reactions: Spektre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->