GDT: Game 7: Sabres vs Sharks - 10/18 10:30pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
A complete lack of experience as a head coach at any level other than high school, where his teams were not particularly notable.

Assistant for a team with the most elite defensive talent in the league.

Not to be a jerk, but the odds were heavily against him being a good coach.
I don't disagree with you, but it's unfair to leave off his gold medal for coaching Team USA in the world juniors.

At the time of his hire, there was a lot of hype surrounding Housley as a forward thinking fresh mind for the sport. Clearly his tactics seem to peter out at the NHL level...

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
WTF are you talking about? BOGO basically saying he is frustrated with the night's performance, doesn't like it, and figure why not beat on someone a little before the night's out. And that's "embarrassing" to you? You must be like 22 years old.

Housley is a terrible coach and wrong for this team. But guess what? The big problem here is the team, not the coach.

Do any of the 15 or so experts who do all the posting here note that it doesn't really matter who the coach is, we still suck?

We've had several of them lately.

The problems we had with the old Rochester core when Ruff was still the coach are the same types of problems with our new core.

They're soft.

It's going to be a long time before this team is good again.

We need to rebuild the rebuild.
If they are soft you just have to hire GM Murray to emulate the "LAKings plan"

Reactions: joshjull

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I don't disagree with you, but it's unfair to leave off his gold medal for coaching Team USA in the world juniors.

At the time of his hire, there was a lot of hype surrounding Housley as a forward thinking fresh mind for the sport. Clearly his tactics seem to peter out at the NHL level...

I personally have zero regard for that tourney. Because as far as coaching goes in those types of tournament, so much of it is luck and team talent, all wrapped in a bow of a tiny sample size. It just provides little reflection on a coach’s ability to lead men through an entire season, with months of adjustments, system implementation and dealing with personalities.

Here’s the thing about his “innovation”, what evidence did you see of that? Besides what was said at a bs press conference? Because I think that illusion was all about words and that people could see Nashville and think, yes we need that kind of fluid defense. Which I agree with, we needed modern defensive movement.

But Nashville was doing all of that before Phil, and more importantly Phil had the best group of skating and puck moving defenders in the league, who were all grown ass men when he arrived.

No experience with a young team in a men’s league. So no experience helping a rebuild, just like Bylsma.

There was an interesting article, maybe the Athletic but I can’t remember, regarding star players turned coaches and how they almost always fail. And it mentioned the typical reasons given, star can’t teach his guys to see the game the way the star did, etc.

But the point that really made sense to me is that most was experience. Pretty much all former star players skyrocket to a head coach job. Phil is a perfect example. He had 3 years of assistant coaching experience in the nhl..., That’s it. No minor leagues. No juniors, no college. Just a 4 month long high school season, with almost no real talent. Now that info doesn’t say he can’t become a good coach, but it does mean he hasn’t put in the years of head coaching to know what he is doing, unless he is the most natural coach of all time.

Consider, in a head to head matchup, Phil Housley has less than 5 years of real professional coaching, Mike Babcock has over 20. Cooper has around a decade plus another 5 plus of major junior. Bob Hartley has a decade in Junior and the minors before getting a gig in the Show. The Stache, Quennville has like 30+.

It’s not even fair to Housley to think he would know his job.

The far scarier thing is that Botts either doesn’t think about it that much or Pegula pushed him into it. Either way is no bueno.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I personally have zero regard for that tourney. Because as far as coaching goes in those types of tournament, so much of it is luck and team talent, all wrapped in a bow of a tiny sample size. It just provides little reflection on a coach’s ability to lead men through an entire season, with months of adjustments, system implementation and dealing with personalities.

Here’s the thing about his “innovation”, what evidence did you see of that? Besides what was said at a bs press conference? Because I think that illusion was all about words and that people could see Nashville and think, yes we need that kind of fluid defense. Which I agree with, we needed modern defensive movement.

But Nashville was doing all of that before Phil, and more importantly Phil had the best group of skating and puck moving defenders in the league, who were all grown ass men when he arrived.

No experience with a young team in a men’s league. So no experience helping a rebuild, just like Bylsma.

There was an interesting article, maybe the Athletic but I can’t remember, regarding star players turned coaches and how they almost always fail. And it mentioned the typical reasons given, star can’t teach his guys to see the game the way the star did, etc.

But the point that really made sense to me is that most was experience. Pretty much all former star players skyrocket to a head coach job. Phil is a perfect example. He had 3 years of assistant coaching experience in the nhl..., That’s it. No minor leagues. No juniors, no college. Just a 4 month long high school season, with almost no real talent. Now that info doesn’t say he can’t become a good coach, but it does mean he hasn’t put in the years of head coaching to know what he is doing, unless he is the most natural coach of all time.

Consider, in a head to head matchup, Phil Housley has less than 5 years of real professional coaching, Mike Babcock has over 20. Cooper has around a decade plus another 5 plus of major junior. Bob Hartley has a decade in Junior and the minors before getting a gig in the Show. The Stache, Quennville has like 30+.

It’s not even fair to Housley to think he would know his job.

The far scarier thing is that Botts either doesn’t think about it that much or Pegula pushed him into it. Either way is no bueno.
Yeah....that's actually a really good point that i hadn't considered. The successful coaches have had to work for years at it. and it makes sense, no one has ever magically come in and managed to be a top coach in the league without having to climb the ladder with everyone else.

A rule of thumb should be that you get one rookie GM or rookie coach, but not both. I still like most of what Botterill has done - though he has his own warts, but we don't need another GM married to their first coaching pick. If you want to be successful then you have to be willing to move on and find the better fit - like botterill felt he did with ROR.

If TPegs is the main force behind Housley, then we're all f***ed as fans. Frankly, TPegs is f***ed as an owner too because people will continue to stop coming to games and spending money to see the shit product on the ice.

Reactions: sabrebuild

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Yeah....that's actually a really good point that i hadn't considered. The successful coaches have had to work for years at it. and it makes sense, no one has ever magically come in and managed to be a top coach in the league without having to climb the ladder with everyone else.

A rule of thumb should be that you get one rookie GM or rookie coach, but not both. I still like most of what Botterill has done - though he has his own warts, but we don't need another GM married to their first coaching pick. If you want to be successful then you have to be willing to move on and find the better fit - like botterill felt he did with ROR.

If TPegs is the main force behind Housley, then we're all ****ed as fans. Frankly, TPegs is ****ed as an owner too because people will continue to stop coming to games and spending money to see the **** product on the ice.

Exactly, I have been an attorney for 4 years. If I’m honest with myself, I suck compared to an attorney in their late 40 early 50s who works hard and is smart. It’s just too much experience to overcome reasonably, with a few outliers.

Botts has been okay on a couple things, scary on some others. I think he could have used a mentor over him to help him with a star player calling out his garbage team. Or to help be a buffer with Pegula, if that is happening. But if he can’t see Phil is in over his head, this misery will just get worse next year.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Exactly, I have been an attorney for 4 years. If I’m honest with myself, I suck compared to an attorney in their late 40 early 50s who works hard and is smart. It’s just too much experience to overcome reasonably, with a few outliers.

Botts has been okay on a couple things, scary on some others. I think he could have used a mentor over him to help him with a star player calling out his garbage team. Or to help be a buffer with Pegula, if that is happening. But if he can’t see Phil is in over his head, this misery will just get worse next year.
Curious as to which star player you're referring to? ROR?

I am with you. This team needs a president of hockey ops more than any other team in the league. Someone with experience in the business to sit in and help direct the rookie GM would have been invaluable. Maybe Pegula is tired of having to cut checks for management/front office folks. The eichel contract and the ROR aside, i like most of Botts' signings and trades. Housley is the biggest black mark on his resume right now.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Curious as to which star player you're referring to? ROR?

I am with you. This team needs a president of hockey ops more than any other team in the league. Someone with experience in the business to sit in and help direct the rookie GM would have been invaluable. Maybe Pegula is tired of having to cut checks for management/front office folks. The eichel contract and the ROR aside, i like most of Botts' signings and trades. Housley is the biggest black mark on his resume right now.

Yup, O’Reilly, and ya I don’t even think that trading him was verboten. But it has to be on your terms. And rushing for a signing bonus self created deadline is stupid. It’s so stupid I strongly suspect it relates to emotion and “betrayal” feelings. Similar to signing a young player to a league high deal a year early for no good reason.

Which is also understandable, but if your gm doesn’t have the strength to tell ownership sometimes we do unpleasant things to win, then the gm is going to get run over by ownership. Sometimes, even though it is aggravating, you gotta pay an ahole, 7 million so that you can build your team rather than get a collection of meh.

Reactions: sabremike

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I knew what you meant. Just busting your chops.

After half a season of Ron Rolston even I'm not sure what I believe anymore.

I'll give Bylsma this: his strategy was predictable, bad, and exploitable. But it did keep a really bad team closer in more games than they should have been.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I think Bylsma's 15-16 team might be able to beat this one. They got 60 ES points from the three players that made up the third line for a large chunk of it, and much better two-way play there than from the guys that were our 6th-9th best scoring forwards last year.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Bylsma at least knew what he had in a team and found a way to get them to win games, since then Housley has been a joke of a coach. I’d take Bylsma back any day of the week.

Housley is just terrible with his inability to feel out a game, you would never win a thing with him running a bench. Absolutely zero in game adjustments made ever...Jack struggling? ya don’t chance up his wingers or anything. Power play bad? Don’t change the personal...

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Proudly on the "Housley is a moron" bandwagon since October 2017.

Last edited:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
President of Hockey Ops. Seriously, I am not messing with anyone because I do not remember the exact jargon or titles. But wasn't that the idea or intent for the position that Pat Lafontaine filled for a so short period of time?

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
President of Hockey Ops. Seriously, I am not messing with anyone because I do not remember the exact jargon or titles. But wasn't that the idea or intent for the position that Pat Lafontaine filled for a so short period of time?
In a rather stunning turn of events after the Buffalo Sabres pulled off a blockbuster trade Friday, the team announced Pat LaFontaine resigned from his post as president of hockey operations. According to the Sabres, LaFontaine will resume his role with the NHL, which he held prior to joining the team.

Pat LaFontaine resigns from post with Buffalo Sabres

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
In a rather stunning turn of events after the Buffalo Sabres pulled off a blockbuster trade Friday, the team announced Pat LaFontaine resigned from his post as president of hockey operations. According to the Sabres, LaFontaine will resume his role with the NHL, which he held prior to joining the team.

Pat LaFontaine resigns from post with Buffalo Sabres

Thanks. That's what I thought. So the position wasn't ever filled? At least not by an actual hockey guy (GM caliber)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad