GDT: Game 7: Sabres vs Sharks - 10/18 10:30pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Embarrassing ending to another masterpiece

WTF are you talking about? BOGO basically saying he is frustrated with the night's performance, doesn't like it, and figure why not beat on someone a little before the night's out. And that's "embarrassing" to you? You must be like 22 years old.

Sabres now being out-scored 19-3 in the 4 losses, how pathetic. Can anyone that matters see how horrible of a coach Housley is?

Housley is a terrible coach and wrong for this team. But guess what? The big problem here is the team, not the coach.

Do any of the 15 or so experts who do all the posting here note that it doesn't really matter who the coach is, we still suck?

We've had several of them lately.

The problems we had with the old Rochester core when Ruff was still the coach are the same types of problems with our new core.

They're soft.

It's going to be a long time before this team is good again.

We need to rebuild the rebuild.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Doesnt matter what we draft with a baffoon behind the bench.

We could have a starting lineup consisting of

Bure, Gretzky, Lemieux
Orr Harvey
Hasek

Housley would somehow manage to lose 6-1

H'd pull Dom after allowing 1 goal in 25 shots after the first. He'd bench Orr and Harvey to make sure his boy Tennyson gets his 30 minutes of ice time, and the top line would be benched in favor of Okposo. When that didn't work, he'd put Gretzky with 4th line scrubs

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
We could have a starting lineup consisting of

Bure, Gretzky, Lemieux
Orr Harvey
Hasek

Housley would somehow manage to lose 6-1

H'd pull Dom after allowing 1 goal in 25 shots after the first. He'd bench Orr and Harvey to make sure his boy Tennyson gets his 30 minutes of ice time, and the top line would be benched in favor of Okposo. When that didn't work, he'd put Gretzky with 4th line scrubs
I feel like the myth of just how bad Coach Housley is gets worse with every team loss.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I hate NHL majority of NHL coaches. Good old Minnesota boy KO gifted minutes night after night, I wish he was traded for anything today, just get rid of that guy.

Reactions: sabrebuild

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I feel like the myth of just how bad Coach Housley is gets worse with every team loss.

Well yeah, because he has the power to make changes, he has the power to sit guys, he has the power to change how the team attacks other teams. He's the one that is responsible for TEACHING these how to win. These guys aren't winning.

He has more talent on this team than any team post tanking years. Yet he continues to allow a veteran to stay on the 1st PP unit while it faulters, even after the vet put the Sabres down 2-0 because of his lack of control on his stick (something the player has control over). And then takes another penalty later. That is an example of an opportunity to send a message to the players, and Housley REFUSES to do so. I'm not saying it would change the team 180 degrees, but it sure as hell is a start.

The guy is either a bad judge of talent, or he's in over his head and can't get to any different ideas past the "ideas" we see already. This is the guy that was supposed to turn around the culture of this team.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Please do explain why it is a myth
Well, mostly because the post I quoted presented a mythical scenario. And even if we look past that... it implies Hutton/Ullmark is Dom, he'd play Tennyson (who was a healthy scratch then sent down) over Dahlin, etc. Asinine stuff that just isn't true and hasn't really happened. Thus the myth perpetuates.

Well yeah, because he has the power to make changes, he has the power to sit guys, he has the power to change how the team attacks other teams. He's the one that is responsible for TEACHING these how to win. These guys aren't winning.

He has more talent on this team than any team post tanking years. Yet he continues to allow a veteran to stay on the 1st PP unit while it faulters, even after the vet put the Sabres down 2-0 because of his lack of control on his stick (something the player has control over). And then takes another penalty later. That is an example of an opportunity to send a message to the players, and Housley REFUSES to do so. I'm not saying it would change the team 180 degrees, but it sure as hell is a start.

The guy is either a bad judge of talent, or he's in over his head and can't get to any different ideas past the "ideas" we see already. This is the guy that was supposed to turn around the culture of this team.
I 100% agree that Housley isn't making the right moves in a lot of cases.

I'm not sure 30 other coaches in the NHL bench a guy like Okposo after 6-7 games, or whatever other moves seem obvious to us for a team that's underperforming top to bottom. Did sitting Berglund for a game send a message? It's very possible the team is better off with someone else at the helm. It's also very possible this team just isn't jiving yet, it's possible even with the bestest coach ever some guys here just can't/won't jive. Hockey in the NHL is tough.

But we're quickly approaching the point of 'publicly burning him at the stake to expel the hockey demons and save our crops' levels of scapegoating here though.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Well, mostly because the post I quoted presented a mythical scenario. And even if we look past that... it implies Hutton/Ullmark is Dom, he'd play Tennyson (who was a healthy scratch then sent down) over Dahlin, etc. Asinine stuff that just isn't true and hasn't really happened. Thus the myth perpetuates.

I 100% agree that Housley isn't making the right moves in a lot of cases.

I'm not sure 30 other coaches in the NHL bench a guy like Okposo after 6-7 games, or whatever other moves seem obvious to us for a team that's underperforming top to bottom. Did sitting Berglund for a game send a message? It's very possible the team is better off with someone else at the helm. It's also very possible this team just isn't jiving yet, it's possible even with the bestest coach ever some guys here just can't/won't jive. Hockey in the NHL is tough.

But we're quickly approaching the point of 'publicly burning him at the stake to expel the hockey demons and save our crops' levels of scapegoating here though.

Based on Management's moves this past offseason, it's pretty clear they feel this team needs a shot in the arm with some accountability (the original reason why new management and coaching were brought in) and standards. This is a good time to send message of expectations of accountability and standards. Housley is deciding not to do them.

Of course you're going to find those that are very hyperbolic with their talk about the negative aspects of the team, just like there are those with hyperbolic talk on the positive end. "You have to take the good with the bad..." I'm not going to finish the song. Hell, I'm sure I annoy the crap out those with my less than optimistic discussion, just like sometimes I'm annoyed with the overly optimistic talk that is on levels of delusional.

Reactions: Dreakon13

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
The Panther's owner has a military background and knows the value of leadership. Housley has no discernible leadership qualities whatsoever. If a coach doesn't have that he's just another Ron Rolston. The Panther's choice, Bob Boughner has been a leader everywhere he's been.
If you owner has any input on hockey related hires your organization is in trouble....oh wait.

Reactions: Jim Bob

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
WTF are you talking about? BOGO basically saying he is frustrated with the night's performance, doesn't like it, and figure why not beat on someone a little before the night's out. And that's "embarrassing" to you? You must be like 22 years old.

Housley is a terrible coach and wrong for this team. But guess what? The big problem here is the team, not the coach.

Do any of the 15 or so experts who do all the posting here note that it doesn't really matter who the coach is, we still suck?

We've had several of them lately.

The problems we had with the old Rochester core when Ruff was still the coach are the same types of problems with our new core.

They're soft.

It's going to be a long time before this team is good again.

We need to rebuild the rebuild.

This is some whiner line quality analysis. Most of the better teams in the league are 'soft'. The league itself is pretty 'soft'. The Sabre have a middling to poor level of overall talent that has been coached, deliberately, against its strengths for the past 3 years.

They're not nearly good enough to succeed when playing a vulgar strategy.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The unintentional humor in this post is off the charts. What a bizarre chain of words. What is the significance of the age 22?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
This is some whiner line quality analysis. Most of the better teams in the league are 'soft'. The league itself is pretty 'soft'. The Sabre have a middling to poor level of overall talent that has been coached, deliberately, against its strengths for the past 3 years.

They're not nearly good enough to succeed when playing a vulgar strategy.

I would hope it’s deliberate and not accidental. :sarcasm:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Housley can only sit so many players in the hope of sending a message of accountability. There are 7-10 guys that could be a healthy scratch on any given night. How is Housley supposed to send a message by benching all those players? Does everyone get a turn in an even rotation?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Housley can only sit so many players in the hope of sending a message of accountability. There are 7-10 guys that could be a healthy scratch on any given night. How is Housley supposed to send a message by benching all those players? Does everyone get a turn in an even rotation?

You can send message during the game as well with certain minutes of icetime. You play on the special teams and your careless penalty put us down 2-0 5 minutes into a game, you don't get that time on the special teams. You want to lazily skate to the bench or turn the puck over 3-4 times a shift, you sit and miss your next shift.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
You can send message during the game as well with certain minutes of icetime. You play on the special teams and your careless penalty put us down 2-0 5 minutes into a game, you don't get that time on the special teams. You want to lazily skate to the bench or turn the puck over 3-4 times a shift, you sit and miss your next shift.

Well yeah, but that's a different issue. Healthy scratches isn't going to be effective though.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I hate NHL majority of NHL coaches. Good old Minnesota boy KO gifted minutes night after night, I wish he was traded for anything today, just get rid of that guy.

What?? You actually think sports should be based on merit? And not on privileged geographical area associations?

There must be a phobia present somewhere in there that can be called out! :naughty:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I wanted this clown to get the job. I was so pissed when the panthers organization interviewed him - I thought they’d snag him up, but they took s hard pass. What did they see that we missed?

A complete lack of experience as a head coach at any level other than high school, where his teams were not particularly notable.

Assistant for a team with the most elite defensive talent in the league.

Not to be a jerk, but the odds were heavily against him being a good coach.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I would hope it’s deliberate and not accidental. :sarcasm:

I should have been clearer. Their coaches are deliberately implementing a strategy. The chosen strategy plays directly into their weaknesses and away from their strengths. I don't think the strategy the coaches have chosen is -because- it's ill fit.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I should have been clearer. Their coaches are deliberately implementing a strategy. The chosen strategy plays directly into their weaknesses and away from their strengths. I don't think the strategy the coaches have chosen is -because- it's ill fit.
I knew what you meant. Just busting your chops.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad