GDT: Game #7: LEAFS vs. KINGS | Mon, Oct 15 @ 7:30 PM EST | Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It’s early, but Jake Gardiner and Nikita Zaitsev are getting buried playing together, carrying only 43% of shot attempts while largely sharing ice time with the Leafs’ top two lines. Last season, the pairing controlled nearly 49%. The year before, it was 48% in limited minutes.
It has never been a good pairing and that is continuing through to this season. Zaitsev struggles to move the puck cleanly and Gardiner is nonchalant at the best of times with the puck. It’s not a good combination for puck movement, especially in a top-four role. Conversely, Rielly – Hainsey are humming along at over 59 CF% playing with the same top forwards and even more responsibility.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are outscoring a high-scoring league

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
from the same article:

I think the Leafs have to feel okay with their current line combinations, all things considered. I was at the game against Ottawa and was not surprised to see Frederik Gauthier later put into the lineup – they are a small and weak team, and while Gauthier doesn’t change that, we know how Babcock loves some size and strength on the roster. Ennis also doesn’t bring much to the roster other than additional skill on a team full of it. Going into the season, I said they’d probably have to acquire a good depth forward and early on that need appears very clear (for the future, they can manage for now).

Agreed - ennis won't cut it when things tighten up

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
And in Calgary. One really good season, and they vastly overpay him, then when he can't repeat, they con Burke into taking him, and he tries to make him a #1 and captain, neither of which he's suited for.
As far as I can remember, he's a really well liked guy in all of the dressing rooms he's played in. He was never going to be a #1, and that was a mistake, but I never saw any issue with him having the C. He stood front and centre and shouldered blame when the media was at its worst with the Leafs.

Bad contract, unreachable expectations, good guy.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
It’s early, but Jake Gardiner and Nikita Zaitsev are getting buried playing together, carrying only 43% of shot attempts while largely sharing ice time with the Leafs’ top two lines. Last season, the pairing controlled nearly 49%. The year before, it was 48% in limited minutes.
It has never been a good pairing and that is continuing through to this season. Zaitsev struggles to move the puck cleanly and Gardiner is nonchalant at the best of times with the puck. It’s not a good combination for puck movement, especially in a top-four role. Conversely, Rielly – Hainsey are humming along at over 59 CF% playing with the same top forwards and even more responsibility.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are outscoring a high-scoring league

Wasnt a fan of these hot take articles crapping on Hainsey after 3 games and still not a fan after 6. Ignoring the fact they were a good pairing from late February to the end of the playoffs in an effort to judge them on a 6 game sample seems a little weird.

Much less worried about that pairing after Gards game 6 in which he finally started to find his legs the 2nd half of the game and was really solid coming off of a rough game 5 (and pretty much all the first 5 games). Looks like he is starting to adapt to the harder minutes Babs is throwing at the pairing and I expect their stats to rise, maybe not as high as the playoffs (where they were far and away our best pairing and possibly the best 2nd pairing in the first round) but a solid one. As for Zaitsev, I thought he was weaker than usual in the last game but was really good in game 5 and yet that was his worst game analytically as Gards and defensive forward coverage was brutal when he was on the ice. The GDT is a fun one to read as its filled with praise for Zaitsev the whole game and yet he finished with 29% Corsi and brutal scoring differentials on the night. Reminds me of watching Rielly carry a burnt out Hainsey in the playoffs.

Who had the lowest Corsi out of any dman in the playoffs who played solid minutes? Morgan Rielly (37.61%)....I think I know why. (Hainsey and our wonderful "shutdown" center Pleks may have had something to do with it)

After 3 games, Zaitsev/Gards had higher stats than Rielly/Hainsey and there were threads popping up calling on Hainsey to be shipped to the island and have the sheltered Dermott take his place. Gotta slow your roll on judging small sample sizes around here or it will make you look silly real fast.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Leafs have a played a lot in the past week and have a lot of tough games coming up. Smart to rest Andersen and get your backup some games to get going.

Reactions: Lauro

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Leafs have a played a lot in the past week. Smart to rest Andersen and get your backup some games to get going.

Called it in the other thread.

There is such a simple solution to this that I don't get why most people(especially on the radio) haven't figured it out.

Ideally you DO play Sparks against a team before the next back to back, it will help him and Andersen.

You start him against a Western Conference team, it's that simple.

Western Conference games are like bonus games anyways, they don't hurt you in the standing as much as losing to a team in the east.

Monday against the Kings is when I start sparks.

Back-up vs Back-up.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I like this. We need to think about the entire season not just today. Andersen cannot play as much as he did last season. We’re at home and scoring. Even PP2 is getting in on the fun, so this would be the perfect time to give Sparks another shot.

Reactions: MyBudJT

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leafs have a played a lot in the past week and have a lot of tough games coming up. Smart to rest Andersen and get your backup some games to get going.

That's too bad, prefer they'd get him his games on the road.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Also, PLEASE score the first goal...

5 of the 6 games we've given up the opening goal.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
You have to see what you have in Sparks. It's as good as game as any. Kings aren't typically a very high scoring team. Andersen needs less games over the season. Let's see how he does tonight. It's a big game for him, and Quick isn't in.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You have to see what you have in Sparks. It's as good as game as any. Kings aren't typically a very high scoring team. Andersen needs less games over the season. Let's see how he does tonight. It's a big game for him, and Quick isn't in.

Quick isn't in that's why Andersen should play, take advantage of a weaken Kings team

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Hopefully the guys arent to tired tonight, even if they are, a tired leafs team should still be able to skate circles around LA.

when was the last time our back up didnt start a back to back? 2 years ago?

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Really pulling for Sparks to have a solid game and get his confidence going. I really think he can be a guy that eventually pushes Andy for the starter job, but our defensive game hasn't been doing many favours for either of our goalies right now. That said, this is a game the Leafs should win. We need to bury any team that doesn't have stellar goaltending, especially if they start Budaj.

Zaitsev needs to step up. He hasn't looked any better this year than last, and the Gardiner-Zaitsev pairing is getting throttled at even strength. Something has to give, because if that pairing doesn't step up it can't stay together all year.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Quick isn't in that's why Andersen should play, take advantage of a weaken Kings team

I know what you're saying but for Andersen to keep up in the playoffs I think they'll have to do this sometimes this season.

With how good the Leafs are offensively I'm hoping they can compensate for a couple softies.

Or better yet... giving Sparks a few more starts will help him figure it out.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Hopefully the guys arent to tired tonight, even if they are, a tired leafs team should still be able to skate circles around LA.

when was the last time our back up didnt start a back to back? 2 years ago?
Except our backup is the reigning AHL Goalie of the Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->