Game 7 heroics

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Just thought it would be fun to list guys who repeatedly came up big in the most pressure-packed games there are: playoff game sevens

I'll start with my boyhood hero Wendel Clark

In four career game 7s:

6G, 3A, +9, 6 PIM, one goalie decapitation, and led his team in shots every time. It wasn't just one or two big games either, he had at least 2 points in each one.

Who else out there always seemed to step it up in game 7? Or when facing elimination?

Last edited:

connellc

Dec 2, 2010
Martin Gelinas during his Calgary run and Patrick Roy always showed up for game 7's.

Kirikanoir

Dec 16, 2010
Trevor Linden

Nine career game 7s:

6G 6A 12 points. Points in 6 0f 9 game 7s. Included in that, scored the only 2 Canucks goals in game 7 of the 94 SC final, as well as the game winner in his last game 7 in 2007 vs Dallas.

Derick*

Yup. Roy actually has a pretty bad losing record in Game 7s. And Brodeur has a pretty bad losing record in OTs.

But but... they're better than Hasek because, because... they make the key saves... and have singular focus...

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
But but... they're better than Hasek because, because... they make the key saves... and have singular focus...

Roy does do significantly better than Hasek in GVT and similar stats in the playoffs if that's what you're looking at. I think Brodeur and Hasek are pretty close with a slight edge to Hasek (but I'm pretty sure GVT and related stats don't take into account Brodeur's superior puckhandling).

But yes, Game 7 stats are nice footnotes to a player's career. Too small a sample size to really extrapolate over a whole career though. For instance, Brodeur has a horrible playoff OT record because the majority of his OTs were in the mid-late 90s when the Devils usually choked early, and Brodeur was widely considered a goalie who was better in the regular season than the playoffs. (Amazing what 2000, 2002 (olympics) and 2003 changed).

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Yup. Roy actually has a pretty bad losing record in Game 7s.

I never understood the mentality that Game 7 creates an equal playing field. Would people rather their goalies lose a series in Games 4, 5, and 6? Goalies aren't going to win the Stanley Cup every year in a 20-30 team league, meaning at some point, they have to lose in the playoffs. Roy lost a lot of Game 7s (especially with the Avalanche) because he never played poorly enough to be completely out of a seven game series and usually played well enough for it to end fairly soon.

I've said it before: Roy lost more Game 7s than he's lost series-clinching Games 4, 5, and 6 combined. How is that a bad thing?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Roy's record in Game 7s: 6-7

Not anything to write home about but while Game 7s are important they represent a small window of a goalie's playoff career. Kind of like Brodeur's terrible playoff overtime record. Can we hold that against him despite everything else he's done? It's only a little bit of a knock on each great goalie.

Someone mentioned Glenn Anderson as a great Game 7 player. I agree.

Another name I'll mention is Scott Stevens. His name won't show up on the scoresheet like the others but we all know where his impact was on the ice

Its a small sample size but Dryden is 3-0 in Game 7s. The reason I say this is because each one game practically dictated who would win the Cup

Belfour had a perfect record in Game 7s up until the end of his career. Believe it or not his record is 4-1 with most of them coming after he shed some of his choker label post 1999

It goes without saying, but Gretzky is good in Game 7s

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Marty Gelinas. Not necessarily game 7 wins, but Marty had the series winning goal against Vancouver, Detroit, and San Jose. He would've had the Cup winning goal too had Khabbibulin not made that save.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Ray Bourque lost his first game 7 in 1982. He never lost another as a Bruin.

'83
'88
'90
'91
'92
'94

6-1 in game 7's as a B....and he was a huge part of all of them.

He would also go 2-1 as an Av. So 8-2 over his career.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
If we want to talk in all of sport one name stands alone....Bill Russell.

He played in 10 game 7's in his career, and won them all.

In these ten games, Russell averaged 18.6 points and 29.3 rebounds. It was not uncommon for him to have 25+ points and snatch 35+ boards; (I.E. In Game 7 of the 1962 NBA Finals, Bill Russell scored 30 points and grabbed 40 rebounds).

...and all this is from a man universally regarded as the greatest defensive force in the game at the time no less.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Roy's record in Game 7s: 6-7

Not anything to write home about but while Game 7s are important they represent a small window of a goalie's playoff career. Kind of like Brodeur's terrible playoff overtime record. Can we hold that against him despite everything else he's done? It's only a little bit of a knock on each great goalie.

Someone mentioned Glenn Anderson as a great Game 7 player. I agree.

Another name I'll mention is Scott Stevens. His name won't show up on the scoresheet like the others but we all know where his impact was on the ice

Its a small sample size but Dryden is 3-0 in Game 7s. The reason I say this is because each one game practically dictated who would win the Cup

Belfour had a perfect record in Game 7s up until the end of his career. Believe it or not his record is 4-1 with most of them coming after he shed some of his choker label post 1999

It goes without saying, but Gretzky is good in Game 7s

Was going to mention Eddie. In the 1998-2004 span, he was just as formidable in a playoff game as a Roy, Hasek, or Brodeur. How often does a goalie on a favoured team have to steal a series? Well, I remember it happening in 2001. Dallas, despite being the #3 seed, was easily outplayed by the #6 Oilers. Belfour was the difference, winning three games in OT.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Cam Ward has some pretty insane numbers in game 7s: 4-0, .932 save %, 1.85GAA

Marty Gelinas. Not necessarily game 7 wins, but Marty had the series winning goal against Vancouver, Detroit, and San Jose. He would've had the Cup winning goal too had Khabbibulin not made that save.

And against Toronto back in 01-02 as well. Game 6 but still a series clinching goal.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Not Game 7, but Martin Gelinas is/was the definition as clutch.

It's not a coincidence that the real hard-working players show up in game 7 on a regular basis.

5 G,3 A in games where his team could eliminate the opposition. All of those points came in the 3rd period or OT. With the exception of one goal vs Sharks in 2004. It was in the 2nd, but it was a GWG.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Where are you guys getting these stats?

I'm curious as to what Ryan Smyth's would be (since he's Edmonton's Trevor Linden).

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Where are you guys getting these stats?

I'm curious as to what Ryan Smyth's would be (since he's Edmonton's Trevor Linden).
0p, -3, 3 shots, 6 PIM

'97 vs dallas, '98 vs colorado, '06 vs carolina

but i think smyth may have been injured during game 7 vs colorado.

i got this information on hockey-reference.com. here is 1998: http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1998.html

i click on the "conference quarterfinals" for edmonton - colorado under "league playoffs" and then clicked on "game 7" for a summary.

Last edited:

Master_Of_Districts

Apr 9, 2007
Black Ruthenia
Was going to mention Eddie. In the 1998-2004 span, he was just as formidable in a playoff game as a Roy, Hasek, or Brodeur. How often does a goalie on a favoured team have to steal a series? Well, I remember it happening in 2001. Dallas, despite being the #3 seed, was easily outplayed by the #6 Oilers. Belfour was the difference, winning three games in OT.

Easily outplayed?

The shots were 198-152 in favor of Dallas.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
0p, -3, 3 shots, 6 PIM

'97 vs dallas, '98 vs colorado, '06 vs carolina

but i think smyth may have been injured during game 7 vs colorado.

i got this information on hockey-reference.com. here is 1998: http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1998.html

i click on the "conference quarterfinals" for edmonton - colorado under "league playoffs" and then clicked on "game 7" for a summary.

Cool, thanks.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Easily outplayed?

The shots were 198-152 in favor of Dallas.

Shots don't always tell the whole story. Edmonton was robbed on great chances repeatedly by Belfour. At the other end of the ice, Tommy Salo failed to come up with the big save time and again. Dallas was wise to shoot often, as Salo was going to let one slip in eventually.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead

I'm still angry/baffled that when Keenan took the reins of the Canucks that the two players I thought would be the ideal Iron Mike type players, Gelinas and Linden, got shown the door. It was especially galling when Gelinas eliminated the Canucks in '04.

Kirikanoir

Dec 16, 2010
I'm still angry/baffled that when Keenan took the reins of the Canucks that the two players I thought would be the ideal Iron Mike type players, Gelinas and Linden, got shown the door. It was especially galling when Gelinas eliminated the Canucks in '04.

Well its pretty much considered common knowledge in Vancouver that the ego from hell, a.k.a. Mark Messier was likely behind Linden being traded. Messier`s ego could not handle another team leader stealing his limelight and he quickly divided the dressing room when he arrived in 1997–98. This is in spite of Linden giving up the team captaincy to Messier when he joined the team.

My guess as far as Gelinas is concerned is that he was possibly a Linden supporter which would explain his trade.

A lot of this explains why Messier is so hated by Vancouver fans and why we consider those three years of the Keenan, Messier era some of the darkest days of the Canucks history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad