Game 7 heroics

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by arrbez, Dec 24, 2010.

View Users: View Users
  1. arrbez

arrbez bad chi

Just thought it would be fun to list guys who repeatedly came up big in the most pressure-packed games there are: playoff game sevens

I'll start with my boyhood hero Wendel Clark

In four career game 7s:

6G, 3A, +9, 6 PIM, one goalie decapitation, and led his team in shots every time. It wasn't just one or two big games either, he had at least 2 points in each one.

Who else out there always seemed to step it up in game 7? Or when facing elimination?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  2. connellc

connellc Registered User

Martin Gelinas during his Calgary run and Patrick Roy always showed up for game 7's.

3. CC Chiefs*

CC Chiefs* Guest

This begs to differ.

4. Kirikanoir

Kirikanoir Registered User

Trevor Linden

Nine career game 7s:

6G 6A 12 points. Points in 6 0f 9 game 7s. Included in that, scored the only 2 Canucks goals in game 7 of the 94 SC final, as well as the game winner in his last game 7 in 2007 vs Dallas.

5. connellc

connellc Registered User

Touche. Roy was eliminated his last two years by game 7's. Before that, I believe he was 3-0.

I retract my statement.

6. nik jr

nik jr Registered User

roy also lost game 7 in '91, '94, '98, '99, '00

7. TheDevilMadeMe

TheDevilMadeMe Registered User

Awards:
    Yup. Roy actually has a pretty bad losing record in Game 7s. And Brodeur has a pretty bad losing record in OTs.

8. Derick*

Derick* Guest

But but... they're better than Hasek because, because... they make the key saves... and have singular focus...

9. TheDevilMadeMe

TheDevilMadeMe Registered User

Awards:
    Roy does do significantly better than Hasek in GVT and similar stats in the playoffs if that's what you're looking at. I think Brodeur and Hasek are pretty close with a slight edge to Hasek (but I'm pretty sure GVT and related stats don't take into account Brodeur's superior puckhandling).

But yes, Game 7 stats are nice footnotes to a player's career. Too small a sample size to really extrapolate over a whole career though. For instance, Brodeur has a horrible playoff OT record because the majority of his OTs were in the mid-late 90s when the Devils usually choked early, and Brodeur was widely considered a goalie who was better in the regular season than the playoffs. (Amazing what 2000, 2002 (olympics) and 2003 changed).

10. Glenn Anderson.
    Cam Ward.

11. quoipourquoi

quoipourquoi Goaltender

I never understood the mentality that Game 7 creates an equal playing field. Would people rather their goalies lose a series in Games 4, 5, and 6? Goalies aren't going to win the Stanley Cup every year in a 20-30 team league, meaning at some point, they have to lose in the playoffs. Roy lost a lot of Game 7s (especially with the Avalanche) because he never played poorly enough to be completely out of a seven game series and usually played well enough for it to end fairly soon.

I've said it before: Roy lost more Game 7s than he's lost series-clinching Games 4, 5, and 6 combined. How is that a bad thing?

12. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

Roy's record in Game 7s: 6-7

Not anything to write home about but while Game 7s are important they represent a small window of a goalie's playoff career. Kind of like Brodeur's terrible playoff overtime record. Can we hold that against him despite everything else he's done? It's only a little bit of a knock on each great goalie.

Someone mentioned Glenn Anderson as a great Game 7 player. I agree.

Another name I'll mention is Scott Stevens. His name won't show up on the scoresheet like the others but we all know where his impact was on the ice

Its a small sample size but Dryden is 3-0 in Game 7s. The reason I say this is because each one game practically dictated who would win the Cup

Belfour had a perfect record in Game 7s up until the end of his career. Believe it or not his record is 4-1 with most of them coming after he shed some of his choker label post 1999

It goes without saying, but Gretzky is good in Game 7s

13. I Hate Chris Butler

I Hate Chris Butler Backlund Fan Club

Lowly Clerk
    Marty Gelinas. Not necessarily game 7 wins, but Marty had the series winning goal against Vancouver, Detroit, and San Jose. He would've had the Cup winning goal too had Khabbibulin not made that save.

14. lextune

lextune I'm too old for this.

Ray Bourque lost his first game 7 in 1982. He never lost another as a Bruin.

'83
    '88
    '90
    '91
    '92
    '94

6-1 in game 7's as a B....and he was a huge part of all of them.

He would also go 2-1 as an Av. So 8-2 over his career.

15. lextune

lextune I'm too old for this.

If we want to talk in all of sport one name stands alone....Bill Russell.

He played in 10 game 7's in his career, and won them all.

In these ten games, Russell averaged 18.6 points and 29.3 rebounds. It was not uncommon for him to have 25+ points and snatch 35+ boards; (I.E. In Game 7 of the 1962 NBA Finals, Bill Russell scored 30 points and grabbed 40 rebounds).

...and all this is from a man universally regarded as the greatest defensive force in the game at the time no less.

16. Kyle McMahon

Kyle McMahon Registered User

Electrician
    Was going to mention Eddie. In the 1998-2004 span, he was just as formidable in a playoff game as a Roy, Hasek, or Brodeur. How often does a goalie on a favoured team have to steal a series? Well, I remember it happening in 2001. Dallas, despite being the #3 seed, was easily outplayed by the #6 Oilers. Belfour was the difference, winning three games in OT.

17. DaveG

DaveG Global Moderator

Brewer/Medical Software
    Awards:
    Cam Ward has some pretty insane numbers in game 7s: 4-0, .932 save %, 1.85GAA

And against Toronto back in 01-02 as well. Game 6 but still a series clinching goal.

18. Reverend Mayhem

Reverend Mayhem Fire this man

Bikini Inspektor
    Not Game 7, but Martin Gelinas is/was the definition as clutch.

It's not a coincidence that the real hard-working players show up in game 7 on a regular basis.

5 G,3 A in games where his team could eliminate the opposition. All of those points came in the 3rd period or OT. With the exception of one goal vs Sharks in 2004. It was in the 2nd, but it was a GWG.

19. DisgruntledGoat*

DisgruntledGoat* Registered User

Where are you guys getting these stats?

I'm curious as to what Ryan Smyth's would be (since he's Edmonton's Trevor Linden).

20. nik jr

nik jr Registered User

0p, -3, 3 shots, 6 PIM

'97 vs dallas, '98 vs colorado, '06 vs carolina

but i think smyth may have been injured during game 7 vs colorado.

i got this information on hockey-reference.com. here is 1998: http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1998.html

i click on the "conference quarterfinals" for edmonton - colorado under "league playoffs" and then clicked on "game 7" for a summary.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  21. Master_Of_Districts

Master_Of_Districts Registered User

Student
    Easily outplayed?

The shots were 198-152 in favor of Dallas.

22. DisgruntledGoat*

DisgruntledGoat* Registered User

Cool, thanks.

23. Kyle McMahon

Kyle McMahon Registered User

Electrician
    Shots don't always tell the whole story. Edmonton was robbed on great chances repeatedly by Belfour. At the other end of the ice, Tommy Salo failed to come up with the big save time and again. Dallas was wise to shoot often, as Salo was going to let one slip in eventually.

24. Ghost of David Bruce

Ghost of David Bruce Streets Ahead

I'm still angry/baffled that when Keenan took the reins of the Canucks that the two players I thought would be the ideal Iron Mike type players, Gelinas and Linden, got shown the door. It was especially galling when Gelinas eliminated the Canucks in '04.

25. Kirikanoir

Kirikanoir Registered User

Well its pretty much considered common knowledge in Vancouver that the ego from hell, a.k.a. Mark Messier was likely behind Linden being traded. Messier`s ego could not handle another team leader stealing his limelight and he quickly divided the dressing room when he arrived in 1997–98. This is in spite of Linden giving up the team captaincy to Messier when he joined the team.

My guess as far as Gelinas is concerned is that he was possibly a Linden supporter which would explain his trade.

A lot of this explains why Messier is so hated by Vancouver fans and why we consider those three years of the Keenan, Messier era some of the darkest days of the Canucks history.