GDT: Game 7! Er... // Penguins @ Oilers // Oct 23 @ 7 PM MST // TV: SN-1

Who is currently the best hockey player in the world?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
In a thread about a game against the Penguins...

I mean, I usually agree with you, but it came off clearly to me as a "hurr hurr Schultz still sux suck it penguins" when he's been an integral part of the Penguins the last two cup runs, plays a role the Oilers have desperately needed since he was traded, and he played all of 4 games before getting seriously injured (he was also playing with Jack Johnson I believe and the pairing did not work out at all).

It'd be like if we played Jersey and I made a post along the lines of "Hallsy only -1!" and then act all surprised that there's pushback on the point...

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
I feel like Murray will get a SO or get torched for 5+. Here's hoping for the latter.

Both teams have weak looking D corps...

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I mean, I usually agree with you, but it came off clearly to me as a "hurr hurr Schultz still sux suck it penguins" when he's been an integral part of the Penguins the last two cup runs, plays a role the Oilers have desperately needed since he was traded, and he played all of 4 games before getting seriously injured (he was also playing with Jack Johnson I believe and the pairing did not work out at all).

It'd be like if we played Jersey and I made a post along the lines of "Hallsy only -1!" and then act all surprised that there's pushback on the point...

I think I'd poke fun at any defenseman with a sub-40% CF.

Those kind of numbers make Kris Russell look like a possession allstar.

Reactions: LaGu

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I think I'd poke fun at any defenseman with a sub-40% CF.

Those kind of numbers make Kris Russell look like a possession allstar.

...over four games? I guess you've been harping on Draisaitl's 39%CF so far too. Whatever works for you I guess.

I personally wish we had the Pittsburgh version of Schultz here, with his 53.9%CF and 56.3%CF the last two years coupled with 28 pts in 63 games and 51 pts in 78 games.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
...over four games? I guess you've been harping on Draisaitl's 39%CF so far too. Whatever works for you I guess.

I personally wish we had the Pittsburgh version of Schultz here, with his 53.9%CF and 56.3%CF the last two years coupled with 28 pts in 63 games and 51 pts in 78 games.

I was actually defending Drai's CF% in his thread lol.

And I'd rather pine for a defenseman that's realistically attainable. The only way you're getting Schultz back on this team is with a time machine. Whining about the past isn't going to change it.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
We tend to play Pittsburgh pretty hard and lose in the end. Hopefully we break that trend but I wouldn't wager anything of significance on it haha.

I'm hoping for an entertaining game.. keep the fight for .500 October alive boys!

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I have a lot more faith in this one tonight then Thursday.

We always play relatively well against Pittsburgh.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
It really is unbelievable that McLellan is going to go a month between playing Koskinen. Could you look any more desperate to hold on to your job? Koskinen is going to get absolutely toasted whenever he does get in. He should've played against Nashville, that was a logical place to get him his first game.

There's always a reason that he needs to go back to Talbot. Can't go 0-2 to start the year. Can't go 1-3 going into the home opener. Have to play Talbot in the home opener. Won three in a row gotta ride who's hot. Can't go back below .500. Gotta get back to .500. McLellan is coaching like the next loss could be his last.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
It really is unbelievable that McLellan is going to go a month between playing Koskinen. Could you look any more desperate to hold on to your job? Koskinen is going to get absolutely toasted whenever he does get in. He should've played against Nashville, that was a logical place to get him his first game.

There's always a reason that he needs to go back to Talbot. Can't go 0-2 to start the year. Can't go 1-3 going into the home opener. Have to play Talbot in the home opener. Won three in a row gotta ride who's hot. Can't go back below .500. Gotta get back to .500. McLellan is coaching like the next loss could be his last.

There's also been quite long breaks between games, so there's no need to rest Talbot. I'm sure the schedule will get much more congested as the season goes along, and there will be plenty of opportunity for Koskinen.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

I'm not sure it's that unbelievable...I, and I assume most people, would do similar in his situation.

I have lots of reasons to dislike TMac but I can't really do it for this reason.

If I don't have faith in the backup and Talbot is playing reasonably well, I'd keep playing him until he lost...at this point.

Keeping in mind I'm probably fighting for my job so I want to give the team the best opportunity to win that I can, for now.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I don't believe it's as desperate as you claim, but yeah Koskinen should be starting tonight, especially after Talbot's performance last game.

Reactions: Cypress

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'm not sure it's that unbelievable...I, and I assume most people, would do similar in his situation.

I have lots of reasons to dislike TMac but I can't really do it for this reason.

If I don't have faith in the backup and Talbot is playing reasonably well, I'd keep playing him until he lost...at this point.

Keeping in mind I'm probably fighting for my job so I want to give the team the best opportunity to win that I can, for now.

He lost last game... Not his fault at all but still a loss.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
He lost last game... Not his fault at all but still a loss.
Yeah, as I hit post, I realized that. However, I'd still keep going for now as we're at .500.....Maybe for Thursday I wouldn't have much of a choice.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Not time to panic yet as he has looked much better than the start of last year, but Talbot is sitting at a .906 sv % and .890 at EV.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

It really is just bizarre. Sure theres long periods between games, so Talbot shouldnt be overly fatigued or anything.

But once again McLellan just doesnt know how to manage people very well. Hockey is suppose to be a team game. How is Koskinen suppose to feel like hes a part of the team when hes not even included? How many teams havent actually played both goalies at this point? I imagine theres literally only a handful. And I am sure out the handful of teams that havent played their backup, none of them are making 2.5 mil.

Then when he gets a chance, he probably wont play well because hes so rusty or because he doesnt feel like hes part of the team.

Seems to me that TM really struggles to find roles for his players. Sure the top guys have their roles but none of the secondary and depth players do. Its probably why our depth players are non existent. I dont doubt that our depth is weaker than the majority of teams (in terms of skill), but when they have no role or purpose because the coach cant motivate, find roles for them or get the most out of people, its going to be bad time.

Reactions: McCombo

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
There's also been quite long breaks between games, so there's no need to rest Talbot. I'm sure the schedule will get much more congested as the season goes along, and there will be plenty of opportunity for Koskinen.

I'm not talking about resting Talbot though, I'm talking about keeping a guy who's "supposed" to challenge Talbot fresh. Oh and he's being paid 2.5 million dollars. He's going to go a month in between games, so he's probably not going to start hot, and then we're going back to Talbot every game because now we can't trust Koskinen.

If Chiarelli signed Koskinen and didn't discuss how McLellan was going to run the goalies, then it's just as much on him as it is on TMac. I'm just saying, you make a commitment to a guy, you talk about Talbot needing someone to challenge him, and then you sit him for the first month of the season while Talbot continues to play fairly average hockey (if we're being honest). It's just bad player management.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Lol come on man.

You knew what you were doing, made a dumb comment, and got called out. Just own it dude.

I was poking fun at a former Oiler having some hilariously bad numbers.

Are some fans so bitter that they somehow think that's a "dumb comment" in a GDT? lol

Reactions: McCombo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->