GDT: Game 7: Edmonton Oilers @ Phoenix Coyotes |1-30-13| 7:30PM

oilman9482

Jun 21, 2010
Ontario
I didn't see anyone touch it with their hand. It looked like whitney tried to bat it in with his stick before Yak hit it in.

Very weird that there was so much controversy over something that looked totally legitimate.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I didn't see anyone touch it with their hand. It looked like whitney tried to bat it in with his stick before Yak hit it in.

Very weird that there was so much controversy over something that looked totally legitimate.

They showed a slow-mo on our broadcast that shows it went off his glove. It wasn't a distinct motion, though. I'm not 100% sure on what the rule is for that sort of situation. I'd imagine it would have counted, unless he punched the puck to Yakupov, which he clearly did not.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated

If it goes off a players glove in the offensive zone, and goes directly to a member of his team, it's supposed to be called a hand pass. Accidental or not. But it's over, I'm over it.

oilman9482

Jun 21, 2010
Ontario
They showed a slow-mo on our broadcast that shows it went off his glove. It wasn't a distinct motion, though. I'm not 100% sure on what the rule is for that sort of situation. I'd imagine it would have counted, unless he punched the puck to Yakupov, which he clearly did not.

Thanks for the explanation. I was confused. They didn't show a slow mo replay on the Oilers telecast. Just for the record I like your team a lot and have OEL, Hanzal, and Boedker on my fantasy team(Along with Eberle and Hall of course lol).

peace

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
"@azc_mclellan: "It’s a missed call....Things happen fast out there. Calls get missed sometimes....I think that’s a game we deserved to win," Tippett said."

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
"@azc_mclellan: "It’s a missed call....Things happen fast out there. Calls get missed sometimes....I think that’s a game we deserved to win," Tippett said."

I thought pucks off the glove have the same rules as kicking? IE a distinct motion.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
If it goes off a players glove in the offensive zone, and goes directly to a member of his team, it's supposed to be called a hand pass. Accidental or not. But it's over, I'm over it.
No, the rule says (Rule 67) that it can be called if, in the ref's opinion, it's deliberate.

It says accidental contact will not be blown down.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Lolol can someone fill me in on why D-Mo went berserk on Whitney? I got a chuckle out of it.

pacerhimself

Mar 17, 2012
Lolol can someone fill me in on why D-Mo went berserk on Whitney? I got a chuckle out of it.

Morris complained to the ref about a hand pass that wasn't and Whitney chirped Morris. Then Morris blew his stack and Whitney curled up into a ball.

I suspect Morris might've been pissed about a play earlier in the game where he got butt-ended in the face.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Just got back, damn traffic after 2 events in Westgate SUCKS!!! Took me 30 minutes to get from the parking lot just to Glendale Ave. it felt like.

Anyways, there were a few missed calls on the ice that's for sure. Game felt like it moved fast, I remember what seemed like 10 minutes straight off the clock I believe in the 2nd period where there wasn't a whistle.

I really like Nick Johnson, he is always around the puck it feels like.

We had opportunities, just couldn't get it past. I'm really glad we were able to get the point out of this game. We could not get anything going offensively in the 1st period though good god.

pritz

Jun 9, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
67.1 Handling Puck - A player shall be permitted to stop or “bat” a puck in the air with his open hand, or push it along the ice with his hand, and the play shall not be stopped unless, in the opinion of the Referee, he has deliberately directed the puck to a teammate in any zone other than the defending zone, in which case the play shall be stopped and a face-off conducted (see Rule 79 – Hand Pass). Play will not be stopped for any hand pass by players in their own defending zone.

Rule 79 - Hand Pass
79.1 Hand Pass - A player shall be permitted to stop or “bat” a puck in the air with his open hand, or push it along the ice with his hand, and the play shall not be stopped unless, in the opinion of the Referee, he has directed the puck to a teammate.
A player shall be permitted to catch the puck out of the air but must immediately place it or knock it down to the ice. If he catches it and skates with it, either to avoid a check or to gain a territorial advantage over his opponent, a minor penalty shall be assessed for “closing his hand on the puck” under Rule 67 – Handling Puck.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Just got back, damn traffic after 2 events in Westgate SUCKS!!! Took me 30 minutes to get from the parking lot just to Glendale Ave. it felt like.

Anyways, there were a few missed calls on the ice that's for sure. Game felt like it moved fast, I remember what seemed like 10 minutes straight off the clock I believe in the 2nd period where there wasn't a whistle.

I really like Nick Johnson, he is always around the puck it feels like.

We had opportunities, just couldn't get it past. I'm really glad we were able to get the point out of this game. We could not get anything going offensively in the 1st period though good god.

Same from my end.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Best part of the game was the look on Ryan Whitney's face when he realized that maybe it wasn't a good idea to taunt Morris. Which isn't saying much.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Best part of the game was the look on Ryan Whitney's face when he realized that maybe it wasn't a good idea to taunt Morris. Which isn't saying much.

I wonder what Keith Yandle thought about it. His defensive partner just pounded his buddy Ryan Whitney. Haha.

pacerhimself

Mar 17, 2012
I'm going to guess most of the main forums just want to watch river hockey with no defense. Crying about the Coyotes being a system team. Why won't we just leave their top line alone to generate offense? Gee, maybe because that's a horrible way to win games. Once defenses start to tighten up over the season I imagine a tough time for some of these teams.

And for a 'boring system team', the Coyotes sure do have a high Shots For and Goals For...

bhbpPWY.png

ggrVW4p.png

And one more awesome stat (as irrelevant as it will end up being):
6QzTTWh.png

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm going to guess most of the main forums just want to watch river hockey with no defense. Crying about the Coyotes being a system team. Why won't we just leave their top line alone to generate offense? Gee, maybe because that's a horrible way to win games. Once defenses start to tighten up over the season I imagine a tough time for some of these teams.

And for a 'boring system team', the Coyotes sure do have a high Shots For and Goals For...

They are just mad that the offense they are so used to being able to do something can't against us. I mean hell, look at the Suns when D'Antoni was the coach. Yes, we could score, yes it was exciting. But we couldn't play a lick of defense, and it killed us.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Coyotes generated a ton of great chances and failed to capitalize on all but one. They looked just a millisecond out of sinc around the puck. Especially Doan who appeared to be either sleepwalking, drunk, battling a severe flu, or maybe injured until he came alive with that amazing PK effort in the third. OEL, Schlemko, and the Johnsons were great tonight. Especially Nick Johnson. He was our best player in the game BEFORE his goal. He played this game like he was Shane Doan. If he keeps it up, I will have a new favorite Yote. His awareness is EXCELLENT all over the ice, and he plays with tons of guts and determination. If you are that smart, that determined, and that tough, you don't really need much skill to be an effective player. He is looking really good. Nice find by the Don.

Morris is too funny. That was great. Whitney was like, ima say sumpin, and they he was like ooooh sheeet. Haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad