GDT: Game 7 - CBJ at CHI - 18 Oct, 8:30pm

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The power play in Cleveland was bad last year under Madden, and with a new head coach this year it is just as bad. Same players for the most part. Coaching only goes so far, at some point the players on the ice have to get it done. If it means not following what the coaches say, so be it. If they succeed whats gonna happen? Is Torts gonna say quit scoring on the power play and listen to your coaches.
I think it more has to do with the personnel , and the purpose . Their whole intent is to move the puck low to high for shots from the point and hope to get traffic . Would have to imagine that the coach of the monsters, who was in camp with the jackets for a long period tries to run a consistent system we are utilizing in Columbus . I think we all noticed a difference with the powerplay , and it’s execution when St Louis came in .

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think it more has to do with the personnel , and the purpose . Their whole intent is to move the puck low to high for shots from the point and hope to get traffic . Would have to imagine that the coach of the monsters, who was in camp with the jackets for a long period tries to run a consistent system we are utilizing in Columbus . I think we all noticed a difference with the powerplay , and it’s execution when St Louis came in .

They used the bumper more? That was about it.

The results were about the same. The PP didn't actually click until the playoffs.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
As for projections , the jackets have played one of the tougher schedules to start the season , and at the same time, they are trying to break in 4 rookies . Texier , Bemstrom , Elvis, Garikov, and Milano all are improving . Bemstrom, and Elvis had fantastic nights last night . The goalie room is starting to look like Jarmo said it would . Bemstrom had 6 shots on goal last night , and looked like he has finally settled in . He absolutely needs to be put on the top power play, and put him in positions where he can unleash his shot. His skating is much better than advertised , kid has mass potential .

I have trouble understanding how you can realize these things but still rail on Tortorella. Is it more than the power play, which it clearly problematic? I see a young team that is playing pretty well and getting decent results with so many young guys and a tough schedule, and the young guys appear to be improving. That leads me to be optimistic about the coach.

Reactions: thebus88

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I have trouble understanding how you can realize these things but still rail on Tortorella. Is it more than the power play, which it clearly problematic? I see a young team that is playing pretty well and getting decent results with so many young guys and a tough schedule, and the young guys appear to be improving. That leads me to be optimistic about the coach.
Look at our powerplay for the past 3 years, then look up Torts teams thru his career , and their powerplay results .

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Look at our powerplay for the past 3 years, then look up Torts teams thru his career , and their powerplay results .

Is it more than the powerplay that you've got beef with? If he has these kids playing competitive hockey and getting results, a bad powerplay alone isn't enough to can him, even though a bad powerplay is a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad