Post-Game Talk: Game 7: Canucks 3, Flyers 2 - Raffl-copter Edition

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Let's not get too excited here. We just barely managed a victory against the 2nd worst team in the NHL.

I thought we looked bad and the system confuses me with the roster we have. Still tried hard all game and never gave up and eventually ground out a win, good fight. Scored a couple when we went to slot, need Burrow back.

The team looks no better than it did in its losses. SJ would have killed us again.

Not skilled enough to be a passing team, not big enough to be a grinding team, not a threat on the rush. Can someone tell me what kind of team we are?

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
Good, grinding road win. Nice to see Kesler get going. Want to see the lines shook up a bit for next game, though:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Higgins
Santorelli - Schroeder - Hansen
4th line

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Sedin-Sedin-Kesler
Higgins-Schreoder-Burrows
Booth-Santorelli-Hansen
Sestito-Richardson-Kassian

If you're constructed like a one line team may as well make that line unstoppable...

Higgins cant score, but he bulls his way into the corners and comes out with the puck which works pretty well when Henrik is on the ice. The line that finished the night might be the perfect mix, whereas the 2 Sedins play so similarly, the line might be too predictable at times.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I like how we've split the Sedins up at times. What I like about it is they start the game together and then we split them once a team gets more used to their play style. It changes the dynamic mid game and so far has been effective.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Because Kesler has a long extensive track record of being weak on draws, right?
He's saying that we need Kesler's ability to take draws as the 2C rather than as a 1W, not that we're lacking a 2C who can take faceoffs even with Kesler in that role. :shakehead

If you're going to be snarky, at least do it without misunderstanding the guy.

Last edited:

FloydTheBarber

Aug 10, 2006
I can't hate the guy. We dumped his ass. Not the other way around. I'm happy for him.

We dumped his ass one year too late...

Didn't he always have good starts (well not THIS good but still), than as the games get tighter, the checking increases, and the playoffs near, he always disappeared.

Just remember, playing top six minutes on a Stanley Cup final team, Mason Raymond scored 2 goals, one the final goal in a blowout. He's not a player you win with in the playoffs.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
I thought we looked bad and the system confuses me with the roster we have. Still tried hard all game and never gave up and eventually ground out a win, good fight. Scored a couple when we went to slot, need Burrow back.

The team looks no better than it did in its losses. SJ would have killed us again.

Not skilled enough to be a passing team, not big enough to be a grinding team, not a threat on the rush. Can someone tell me what kind of team we are?

We're a team that never gives up. We use a system + roster combination, that is designed to confuse our opponents. We don't really stand out in any area. We shoot first, except for the twins, and we block lots of shots. We eventually grind out the win.

Outside99*

One more thing:

Torts called a great game. Not only splitting up Henrik and Daniel but at the very beginning of the game, the Flyers came on strong while the Canucks looked flat. So he kept rolling the top 2 lines until the situation stabilized.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Thoughts on the game.

Luongo played good enough can't fault him on either of the goals although I thought his rebound control wasn't very good.

On the defense. Hamhuis didn't bobble the puck! First game of the year I haven't noticed one. Bieksa steady as always, he's a 4th forward out there. Didn't like the penalty call on him after seeing what was being let go throughout the game. Tanev is a beast. That shot block! Garrison is a beast. Weber and Stanton were decent.

On the forwards. Kesler with a couple johnny on the spot goals, but looked great and was skating well. Higgins shook off the snake as well. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come with these two. Daniel was good but he was no Henrik. Henrik is a really good hockey player. King Henrik! Kassian was much better this game and I credit it to the puck support of Schroeder who looked great for his first game back. There was a shift near the end of the 2nd that these two looked really good. Booth is a concern. Playing like a 4th liner.

Overall the team again showed some push back but they are missing some swagger. We have really been a one line team for the most part this season and i'm really hoping lines 2 and 3 get going pretty quick here. There was definitely some flashes tonight though.

Excited for Buffalo! Hope Kesler knocks Hodgson through the boards.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

We are a 100 point team.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Perhaps, but we play them again in November and I am not convinced we would get crushed with a full roster.

Higgins - Henrik - Burrows
Daniel - Kesler - Kassian
Booth - Schroeder - Hansen
Santorelli - Richardson - Weise

That's pretty solid.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
One more thing:

Torts called a great game. Not only splitting up Henrik and Daniel but at the very beginning of the game, the Flyers came on strong while the Canucks looked flat. So he kept rolling the top 2 lines until the situation stabilized.

I liked what he did. Yet, in the post game he seemed to back the idea of keeping the Sedins together. Only moving them away from each other to give the team a different look.

Seems like this will be a going concern:

D.Sedin-H.Sedin
Higgins-Kesler

Where I'd like to see Higgins/D.Sedin flipped. Ah well.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Didn't he always have good starts (well not THIS good but still), than as the games get tighter, the checking increases, and the playoffs near, he always disappeared.

Just remember, playing top six minutes on a Stanley Cup final team, Mason Raymond scored 2 goals, one the final goal in a blowout. He's not a player you win with in the playoffs.
To put things into perspective (while cherry-picking stats to fit my narrative), the only year Raymond didn't start hot in the last 6 years is in 2009-2010.

2013 - 2014 8pts in 7 games (94pt pace)
2012 - 2013 8pts in 12 games (55pt pace-- ended on a 39pt pace)
2011 - 2012 6pts in 7 games (70pt pace-- ended on a 30pt pace)
2010 - 2011 11pts in 16 games (56pt pace-- ended on a 46pt pace)
2008 - 2009 10pts in 13 games (63pt pace-- ended with 53 points)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Raymond is on a team much better suited to him, playing with guys that pass well and attack in a style that suits him. He's going to have a good year.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Schroeder really helped in our own end and the team just looked a lot better down the middle. He also got Kassian going a little more, though he is still behind the play a bit as mentioned.

Higgins and Kesler have had chemistry all year. Knew Kesler needed to play with at least one of the Sedin's, but I didn't think it would be Hank. Nice move.

Best team defense and neutral zone play all year. No nasty breakaways and the forwards covering the d men a lot better on pinches etc. The system is starting to click in that respect.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I liked what he did. Yet, in the post game he seemed to back the idea of keeping the Sedins together. Only moving them away from each other to give the team a different look.

Seems like this will be a going concern:

D.Sedin-H.Sedin
Higgins-Kesler

Where I'd like to see Higgins/D.Sedin flipped. Ah well.

I think a Sedin-Sedin-Kesler line would be killer. Kesler would rack up 40 goals with the twins. We would have to find a #2 center in free agency or trade but doing so would help the 2nd unit PP. Horvat developing quickly would definitely help depth wise.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Oct1513_info.jpg

The facial expressions LOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad