GDT: Game 69: Kings @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ+

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
It's just one of those things that I think Jamieh had said to _Del_ at one point - it is this fascinating thing where there is an incredible amount of try (lol) to be the smartest person in the room.

When the question was asked of when the last time we were above .500 through 49 games, I am certain that _Del_ was thinking that last occurred in 2013-14 season, as if to show that we have been this poorly coached team the entire time from 2014 onward. The fact that it occurred much more recently goes to show that there is some sort of heavy and insecure bias against a coach who got the team to perform well despite obvious talent deficiencies.

Secondly, if Tippett were coaching this year, and we started off with the record that we did, I would be fully supporting letting Tippett go 100%, b/c then it would be clear that the message wasn't getting across even with the talent upgrade. Every time someone brings up some non-sensical idea that b/c the team isn't too far behind what we did last year is completely ignoring the fact that we upgraded our team much more significantly. The last time we ever had this much promise heading into a season was when we signed Ribeiro. Before then, we were barely a blip on the radar of offseason activity. cobra and Jakey basically called out exactly what I have been saying - there is not a chance that you can look yourself in the mirror and say that this team did not do its best to add talent level and experience to this team from the prior year. Yes, the team has to learn how to play together and do so in a new system, but if we had not gone about adding the types of players that we did in the offseason, then I can better understand the start that we had.

It is a completely ignorant thing to drop in a record over 49 games and say, "see, things are going as they should" when the reality is that the upgrades made to the team and its abilities should warrant a stronger impact to the overall record and play. We have made strides this season, the same way that we made strides last year, but for some reason, this year's strides are deemed "better" even though relative to the talent level picked up, they really aren't.

I have no problem calling a truce, but it is tough to do when someone takes pride in stating that our team is performing well, when the reality is that this is a very underwhelming performance when you look at how the team changed for the better this year. As was said, there is so much try in stating that we are far better, when nothing adds up to the idea that we should be even on the same level.

2016-17 season

1st 20 games: 8-10-2
2nd 21 games: 5-12-4
3rd 20 games: 9-10-1
4th 21 games: 8-10-3

2017-18 season

1st 20 games: 2-15-3
2nd 21 games: 7-12-2
3rd 20 games: 9-6-5
4th 8 games: 5-2-1

All told, we haven't been as bad as people think in 2016-17 season, and keep in mind that last year, we traded some of our top talent away in the stretch of the 3rd 20 games. Considering the talent level increase YOY and the fact that we didn't get rid of our best players this deadline, I think that we are finally getting some confidence in the system, but we are still behind where we should be at.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Hammer/Demers/Stepan full year/Keller is a big uptick over Schenn/Murphy/Part time Hanzal/Doan.
If you're going to use 'part time' Hanzal as your comparison to Stepan then it's a bit disingenuous to not use 'part time' Hammer, Chychrun and Raanta this year, 'part time' Stone and Smith and 'full time' Chychrun last year and to completely omit Vrbata as if he didn't exist.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I'd like to think we could just "move past" talking about the old stuff. We've got a new coach, a new system, and new players. To quote Coach Norman Dale. "I would hope you would support who we are. Not, who we are not."

It's time to move forward.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don't see a great deal of talent on our team after watching Nashville. We played our hearts out and Nashville won the game whilst sleepwalking through most of it.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
If you're going to use 'part time' Hanzal as your comparison to Stepan then it's a bit disingenuous to not use 'part time' Hammer, Chychrun and Raanta this year, 'part time' Stone and Smith and 'full time' Chychrun last year and to completely omit Vrbata as if he didn't exist.

Agreed, but it is one thing when Hanzal has consistently hit 70% of games for 4 or 5 consecutive years and Chychrun has one season of injury and has come back fine.

Remember this from Chychrun in the first game last year:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I'd like to think we could just "move past" talking about the old stuff. We've got a new coach, a new system, and new players. To quote Coach Norman Dale. "I would hope you would support who we are. Not, who we are not."

It's time to move forward.

What are we then? What is our identity at this point? That is where I have trouble deciphering what the overall plan is going to be.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We
We had plenty of injuries both years. I'll agree we did lose Verby's production but adding Keller makes up for Verby. Hanzal is always injured so that isn't a factor it's normal. Still, Demers/Hammer is a big improvement, Stepan at fair improvement, plus our young players getting better, we should be much better. We also don't have any old players in significant roles that got worse.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It's just one of those things that I think Jamieh had said to _Del_ at one point - it is this fascinating thing where there is an incredible amount of try (lol) to be the smartest person in the room.

When the question was asked of when the last time we were above .500 through 49 games, I am certain that _Del_ was thinking that last occurred in 2013-14 season, as if to show that we have been this poorly coached team the entire time from 2014 onward. The fact that it occurred much more recently goes to show that there is some sort of heavy and insecure bias against a coach who got the team to perform well despite obvious talent deficiencies.

Secondly, if Tippett were coaching this year, and we started off with the record that we did, I would be fully supporting letting Tippett go 100%, b/c then it would be clear that the message wasn't getting across even with the talent upgrade. Every time someone brings up some non-sensical idea that b/c the team isn't too far behind what we did last year is completely ignoring the fact that we upgraded our team much more significantly. The last time we ever had this much promise heading into a season was when we signed Ribeiro. Before then, we were barely a blip on the radar of offseason activity. cobra and Jakey basically called out exactly what I have been saying - there is not a chance that you can look yourself in the mirror and say that this team did not do its best to add talent level and experience to this team from the prior year. Yes, the team has to learn how to play together and do so in a new system, but if we had not gone about adding the types of players that we did in the offseason, then I can better understand the start that we had.

It is a completely ignorant thing to drop in a record over 49 games and say, "see, things are going as they should" when the reality is that the upgrades made to the team and its abilities should warrant a stronger impact to the overall record and play. We have made strides this season, the same way that we made strides last year, but for some reason, this year's strides are deemed "better" even though relative to the talent level picked up, they really aren't.

I have no problem calling a truce, but it is tough to do when someone takes pride in stating that our team is performing well, when the reality is that this is a very underwhelming performance when you look at how the team changed for the better this year. As was said, there is so much try in stating that we are far better, when nothing adds up to the idea that we should be even on the same level.

2016-17 season

1st 20 games: 8-10-2
2nd 21 games: 5-12-4
3rd 20 games: 9-10-1
4th 21 games: 8-10-3

2017-18 season

1st 20 games: 2-15-3
2nd 21 games: 7-12-2
3rd 20 games: 9-6-5
4th 8 games: 5-2-1

All told, we haven't been as bad as people think in 2016-17 season, and keep in mind that last year, we traded some of our top talent away in the stretch of the 3rd 20 games. Considering the talent level increase YOY and the fact that we didn't get rid of our best players this deadline, I think that we are finally getting some confidence in the system, but we are still behind where we should be at.
Fair analysis. Even at 70 points, we likely over achieved given the circumstances last year. This year, in total, we have under achieved. We are looking good now though, hope it continues this year and into next year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't see a great deal of talent on our team after watching Nashville. We played our hearts out and Nashville won the game whilst sleepwalking through most of it.
There is no arguing that we need more top end talent, but I really thought it was a good game from both teams. I don't think Nashville was sleepwalking at all. That is the best team in the NHL and we put up a pretty good fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->