Post-Game Talk: GAME #69: Canucks 2 vs. Golden Knights 6

GodBlessGiroud

Jun 21, 2018
I hate Reddit so ****ing much, it's like a conversation hub for people who want to talk about things but don't actually care enough about the subject to do any research or anything. It's the water cooler of the internet.

Casual normie sports talk
Casual normie political analysis
Casual normie gaming

Reddit is a mess. Reddit was a mistake.

Also the game sucked 0/10 but will watch again because I'm a masochist

I hardly go on HFBoards at all (I think this account is several years (or months) old with no posts) but holy f*** its annoying on Reddit right now. Any criticism of Benning gets thumbed down and then hidden and I have 2 guys following me around calling me a paid bot and talking about how my anti-Benning arguments are like a computer wrote them. It's just....f***...

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Men against Boys. Good thing Vegas took their foot off the gas or this could have easily got into double figures. Right from the start had no problem driving the puck right into the Canuck crease and then banging away till they got it in the net. You can't stop that then you have nothing as a hockey team.

Good

Biega - far from perfect in his end but better than the rest (only one to escape with positive +/-) and contributed some offense. Maybe the best defenseman on the team right now.
So your fringe 7th d-man is your best d-man. Just brutal

Boeser - created some offense and maybe the most committed forward.

Bad

Gaudette - very scrambly in his end (often losing his check) and in way too much of a panic with the puck. Good to see Green didn't bench him as he needs ice time to find his way.

Pouliot - when the Knights pushed early he couldn't handle it. That is all you needed to see to know he just isn't NHL caliber. When Vegas backed off he was able to get some space to make plays but obviously he doesn't play well enough in his end when pressured. 4th round draft for nothing.

Stecher - tough game. Has taken too big of a load and seems to have little to give. Really sagged the last couple of games.

Eriksson - took one of the laziest penalties you'll see and was otherwise useless. Some leadership.

Pearson - looks like a Eriksson clone. Gets nothing done.

Goldobin - Vegas was too big for him. Shunted right out of the play and often dropped on his butt. Off-footed a lot of his teammates with poor passes. Sort of points out the difference in this game. Vegas is a big, skilled team and we have a smallish, mostly lesser skilled team. The Canucks have miles and miles, and years and years to go before they can be competitive with teams like Vegas. And the problem is that with our management the gap is likely to get bigger.

Ugly

Edler - that effort in the first period was miserable. Never wanted to take the man all game and showed zero composure under pressure. Looked absolutely unready to play and, as in the past, you have to worry about mental toughness. Seems to just fall apart at times.

Others

Virtanen - saw lots of aimless play but their was effort and had some dangerous shifts. At least he could keep up.

Demko - played well enough. Worked hard on not conceding rebounds and moved side to side on a couple of chances quite well. Only encouraging thing in this game. Needs to be used a lot down the stretch. Markstrom actually made some good saves before the dam broke. Really not to blame for the complete breakdown in the early going.

I wonder if there were any "Fire Benning" chants in the building?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Oh, and what a shock. The Canucks get absolutely dismantled on national tv yet again by Vegas. I really don't know which was sadder; the Canucks' play on the ice or the desperation of the announcing crew to find something positive about it. Cassie Campbell is so damn annoying.

And let's see...did anyone in blue have a good game...not really. D was pathetic as usual. F weren't much better. Young guys are slowing down, older guys never were really all that fast. Roussel continues to show well, Boeser had some life, Virtanen had a couple of decent shift here and there...but a whole lot of individual play and very little cohesion. Never any real competition on the ice for a genuine contender.

And that's year five and counting. Next.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Didnt realize Markstrom has a pretty much identical stat line as last year
and should finish the season with about the same

2 shutouts
2.70 GAA
.914 sv%
60 starts

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Because we’re fans..but at the end of the day,it’s only sport.
I agree it's only a sport, but a Stanley Cup would mean a LOT to many people. The entire city of Vancouver.... Canucks fans are used to making the playoffs and always coming up short. We want a cup, and the best way forward is with a competent GM at the helm.

I understand you're likely fine with the team just getting into the playoffs, being 'competitive' and entertaining throughout the season so you can crack a beer and relax every game night. I get that. However, that is not happening under Benning, nor will it ever happen under Benning. Even if you don't value a Stanley Cup, what is entertaining about watching this team? Really. Come on bud.

Year after year of this ****. I want to get back to our 2011 days. Class of the NHL. Innovative. Progressive. Insanely well run. We're not doing that with a GM who still thinks he's in the 1980s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad