GDT: Game 69: Avs @ Kings - Pray for Nate

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think he scored in game 6 vs Joisey. But that 2001 team had more (healthy) star power in the top 6, a better defense, & some guy named Roy in net.

Not so sure about that. Maybe. After the Blake deal and then when Forsberg went down the lines were as such:

Tanguay - Sakic - Hejduk
Nieminen - Drury - Hinote
Messier - Yelle - Podein
Dingman - Reinprecht - Reid

Okay, looking at that, yeah, still deeper, but not by a whole lot. Obviously having two superstar centers and then a winger who was in his own right a superstar playoff center certainly helps matters. I just remember that '01 team in the playoffs really wasn't that deep by my estimation, but they somehow got 2nd line production out of a couple of career 4th line wingers.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Not so sure about that. Maybe. After the Blake deal and then when Forsberg went down the lines were as such:

Tanguay - Sakic - Hejduk
Messier - Yelle - Podein

Okay, looking at that, yeah, still deeper, but not by a whole lot. Obviously having two superstar centers and then a winger who was in his own right a superstar playoff center certainly helps matters. I just remember that '01 team in the playoffs really wasn't that deep by my estimation, but they somehow got 2nd line production out of a couple of career 4th line wingers.

Fair point. Avs are deeper at top 6/9 caliber wings this year. But MacK is this team’s Sakic, & while I like Kadri, he’s no Forsberg. Even with healthy MacK I still give the edge to the 2001 team due to defense, & especially Roy. He slammed the door shut in games 6 & 7 of the SCF in a manner I doubt Grubs or Francouz are capable of doing.

Reactions: AFK

AFK

Jan 8, 2014

Tanguay - Sakic - Hejduk
Messier - Yelle - Podein

I know you're talking about top-6 here, but we can't overlook the contribution the D had on that team (top-6). Blake was almost a ppg in the POs (now looking at the roster/stats they had 5 HOFers, yeesh).

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I know you're talking about top-6 here, but we can't overlook the contribution the D had on that team (top-6). Blake was almost a ppg in the POs (now looking at the roster/stats they had 5 HOFers, yeesh).

Naw, you're right--that D was precisely the reason they were able to get away with a pretty thin forward corps. And it showed the next year when Sakic came back down to Earth, Forsberg missed the entire season, and Bourque retired. They went from the 4th-best offense to one that was ranked 18th, but jumped slightly from 3rd fewest goals allowed to 1st. It's astounding they went all the way to the WCF like that.

Reactions: AFK

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Naw, you're right--that D was precisely the reason they were able to get away with a pretty thin forward corps. And it showed the next year when Sakic came back down to Earth, Forsberg missed the entire season, and Bourque retired. They went from the 4th-best offense to one that was ranked 18th, but jumped slightly from 3rd fewest goals allowed to 1st. It's astounding they went all the way to the WCF like that.

They made the WCF that season in large part because Forsberg went Conn Smythe Norse God of Hockey mode upon his return, & Roy was still between the pipes.

Reactions: AFK and Pokecheque

AFK

Jan 8, 2014
I didn't realize there was such a dramatic decline in offense that season.

Didn't Forsberg come back for game 1 of the WCQF and just instantly go God mode? (wow, the feel goodz of those memories....and the horror and trauma of that game 7)

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They made the WCF that season in large part because Forsberg went Conn Smythe Norse God of Hockey mode upon his return, & Roy was still between the pipes.

I didn't realize there was such a dramatic decline in offense that season.

Didn't Forsberg come back for game 1 of the WCQF and just instantly go God mode? (wow, the feel goodz of those memories....and the horror and trauma of that game 7)

I honestly do not remember the first two rounds of these playoffs. They went seven games with the Kings AND the Sharks? No wonder they finally ran outta gas in round 3.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
I honestly do not remember the first two rounds of these playoffs. They went seven games with the Kings AND the Sharks? No wonder they finally ran outta gas in round 3.

They were still lacking middle 6 scoring depth, as well as defensive depth (which Lacroix tried to shore up at the TDL with Kasperitis, who was as square peg in a round hole as it gets given Colorado’s scheme).

Avs-Wing Dings was the SCF series. Either team was beating Carolina. In my heavily biased opinion if Bourque got greedy & chased a 2nd Cup, while maintaining most of his hunger the Avs repeat that season. There was just something...missing. Aside from a general roster depth perspective. Again, in my heavily biased, unapologetic homer opinion. C’est la vie.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They were still lacking middle 6 scoring depth, as well as defensive depth (which Lacroix tried to shore up at the TDL with Kasperitis, who was as square peg in a round hole as it gets given Colorado’s scheme).

Avs-Wing Dings was the SCF series. Either team was beating Carolina. In my heavily biased opinion if Bourque got greedy & chased a 2nd Cup, while maintaining most of his hunger the Avs repeat that season. There was just something...missing. Aside from a general roster depth perspective. Again, in my heavily biased, unapologetic homer opinion. C’est la vie.

I think in the end...the best team won. I remember the Wings going CRAZY that offseason and signing anyone who wasn't nailed down. I came away with a ton of respect for Steve Yzerman in that series, as he had one functioning knee and yet still somehow remained a factor in the playoffs. Roy did everything he could but I really think the Avs just finally sputtered out. Kasparaitis played quite well for the Avs but I didn't and still don't love that trade. I get that Nieminen was in Bob's doghouse after showing up to camp out of shape but he was still one of those role players who could come through with the big goal when asked of him. Also, while Rick Berry was not some huge impact player, he genuinely loved playing for Colorado and was actually in tears when he found out he had been dealt. I don't believe he ever stopped living in Colorado and is still there to this day.

I'm honestly not sure Bourque would've made a gigantic difference. He was already well into his forties and was retiring no matter what, I think he knew his body just wasn't going to hold up for another season. I wish they would've pursued another puckmoving defender instead of a physical stay-at-home guy, which they did later on when they got Morris, but by then it was kinda too late.

That was also the season I kinda/sorta soured on Chris Drury. I've since changed my mind about him but at the time I felt like he had a grand opportunity to step up, and didn't.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

I was so damn happy when we got Kasperitis but he was definitely coached not to play the way that made me want him in the first place. It truly was a bad fit for him to come here and get such a tight leash on his aggressiveness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad