GDT: Game #69 3/13 10 PM - BRUINS at Vancouver | NESN, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
"We didn't lose to the British, and we're not going to lose to British Columbia."

C6zHstLWwAEIA9V.jpg:large

88860396-c3dd-4e63-8335-942f26d2488c

lkgRQLW.jpg

8hUf95m.jpg

6YC2d1e.jpg

gQJ8chW.jpg

front.jpg

Tonight's Officials

130p_kowal.jpg
130p_stlaurent.jpg

Referees Tom Kowal (32), Francois StLaurent (38)
Linesmen Brian Mach (78), Trent Knorr (63)

Ntl. Anthem Marie Hui

WAYBACK MACHINE

BOSTON vs VANCOUVER, LIFETIME SERIES

The Bruins and Canucks are meeting for the 117th time in their histories with the Bruins having a 71-29-15-1 record and 457-324
scoring advantage in those games.
The Bruins are 30-19-8-0 in their 57 road games of this lifetime series with a 223-183 scoring edge in those contests.

The Bruins won the 1st game of this season’s series by a 4-3 score in Boston on 2/11 when David Pastrnak scored the GWG w/2 minutes remaining in regulation …

They are 6-5-1 in their last 12 games overall vs. the Canucks & they are 3-2-0 in their last 5 visits to Vancouver.

TONIGHT’S GAME

The Bruins visit the Canucks tonight in the 2nd & final game between these teams and the Bruins’ lone visit this season to Rogers Arena … The Bruins are 36-26-6 thus far this season with a 17-12-6 mark on the road … They are 7-4-0 vs. Pacific Division opponents and are 12-10-0 vs. Western Conference teams this season.

The Bruins are opening tonight their longest remaining road trip of the season, a 4-game trek from 3/13-20 (VAN-CGY-EDM-TOR).

They are playing game 1 tonight of their 13th of 16 sets of 3-games-in-4-nights this season … They are 6-5-1 in game 1s, 5-4-3 in game 2s and 5-5-2 in game 3s of those series so far.

MILESTONES APPROACHING

Tuukka Rask’s next win will be his 200th NHL victory.
Dominic Moore is 2 goals short of his 100th NHL goal.

INJURIES (138 total man-games lost)

Ryan Spooner – Concussion suffered 3/6 at OTT; Has missed 2 games, is on current trip.
Tim Schaller – Lower body injury suffered 3/8 vs DET; Has missed 1 game, is not on current trip.

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Bruce Cassidy had an important decision to make Sunday.

It was a travel day for his Boston Bruins, but the interim coach still felt his team should "do something" after a long flight from the East Coast. Should his team have a dryland workout or a skate? After consulting coaches and some veteran players, Cassidy opted for a short, late-afternoon skate at Rogers Arena.

"Hopefully, it was the right call," said Cassidy after the workout.

Chances are good that it will be. Cassidy has made a lot of right calls since taking over for the fired Claude Julien in February.

The Bruins (36-26-6) are 10-3-0 since he was promoted from Providence of the American Hockey League. Cassidy's charges sport a three-game win streak, following a last-minute 2-1 win over Philadelphia, and are 7-3-0 in their past 10 games mark as they prepare to visit the Vancouver Canucks (28-31-9) on Monday night.

"Obviously, I'm happy," said Cassidy, who had an unsuccessful tenure with Washington in his first NHL head coaching job. "I want to have success. I want the group to have success. So, it's worked out. So far, so good -- but it's a very short period of time, so we want to sustain that (level) and be consistent in the long run. We want to still get it done here in March and April so we can keep our season going."

The Bruins, third in the Atlantic Division, now have a realistic shot at a playoff spot after it appeared almost certain that they would be also-rans. Cassidy said one key to the success has been his club's newly found ability to win low-scoring games.

"Early on, I thought we scored a lot more than we had, and a lot of that had to do with our forwards attacking the net from low in the offensive zone and from our (defense) activating and getting involved in the rush," said Cassidy. "Over time, our game, I think, has gravitated to where we can, if we don't score, still win hockey games -- like the other night, a 2-1 game. It wasn't our best. We hung in there, had a real solid third period (and) took advantage of a late opportunity. It was a fortunate goal, but we had some opportunities before that."

Forward David Backes said players have found productive roles, "and the results have spoken for themselves" since Cassidy came in behind the bench.

"There's been a lot more cohesiveness, a lot more guys on the same page," said Backes. "I don't necessarily know that he has a different message. It might just be a different voice that's bringing a different result, a little bit of a breath of fresh air and a new start for some guys."

But captain Zdeno Chara is hard pressed to identify ways that the Bruins have changed since Cassidy replaced Julien, who has since moved to the Montreal Canadiens.

"A lot of people ask me: What was the reason? What happened? What were the changes?" said Chara. "I don't think we changed much. We just really started to perform better and execute more on the ice. We had some games early on where we performed really well and we didn't get the results. Now, we're getting the results and we're executing better."

Chara hopes the improvement will help the Bruins play more like the team that beat the Canucks in seven games in the 2011 Stanley Cup finals. On the other hand, the Canucks are continuing a season-long struggle to execute consistently.

Vancouver has lost three straight games and has fallen 10 points out of a playoff spot while trying to expand a rebuilding effort following the trades of veteran wingers Alex Burrows and Jannik Hansen.

"Another Eastern team, that is going to be fun for us to see something different," said Canucks captain Henrik Sedin.

Well, maybe not.

All three of Vancouver's latest losses have come at home to Eastern Conference opponents. But two of the setbacks -- to Montreal and the New York Islanders -- came in overtime before the Canucks were overmatched in a 3-0 loss to the defending Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday.

"We have to be proud of the way we battle and play for the most part," said Sedin.

But he still wants the Canucks to improve a particular aspect of their game.

"I still believe as a team, if we play a little bit quicker, we can get a lot more chances," said Sedin. "I don't think we are quick enough now with the passes."

He also wants the Canucks who have had their lines disrupted by the departures of Burrows and Hansen as well as injury and illness, to make good on early scoring opportunities.

"It feels like we are always waiting for something to happen," said Sedin. "When you do that, you are skating the wrong way. When you turn the puck over, they are going to come back and hurt you."

Forward Brandon Sutter also called on his club to improve defensively. The Canucks surrendered 48 shots to the Penguins on Saturday. Sutter said the Canucks have been giving up too many shots lately, and play their best when only allowing 25-30 shots per contest.

"Now, we are getting up over 40," said Sutter. "We have to crack down a little bit."

Ryan Miller who has played the bulk of games lately with backup Jacob Markstrom sidelined by a knee injury, is expected start in goal again for the Canucks. Miller posted 45 saves against the Penguins, while his team also allowed an empty-netter, but did not appear concerned about potential fatigue.

"I feel all right," he said.

NOTES: Bruins center Ryan Spooner is close to returning from a concussion and took part in Sunday's skate, but will not play against the Canucks, said Cassidy.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Thanks Fenway! Your hard work is appreciated every time!

I'll be missing this one....I'm not a good sleeper as it is. I will have my iPad next to me to check in though. Please win Bruins, give us some playoff hockey!!

GO BRUINS!! :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Thanks Fenway. Are you there ?

For anyone of "us" going tonight cheer loud for our boys and have a blast !

I hope Brad bugs the twins tonight and scores many goals.

HERE WE GO B RUINS...HERE WE GO
:handclap::handclap:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Thanks Fenway. Are you there ?

For anyone of "us" going tonight cheer loud for our boys and have a blast !

I hope Brad bugs the twins tonight and scores many goals.

HERE WE GO B RUINS...HERE WE GO
:handclap::handclap:

Nope taking a break after being in the hospital.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
randomly have today and tomorrow off...really considering hopping on the boat and catching this one.

any BC Hf'ers have an extra ticket?

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Hate the 10PM starts, but I thankfully have tomorrow off so I can watch it.

Anything but 2 points is unacceptable.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
Don't be a trap game, play like the playoffs are on the line. Oh wait, they are! This is going to be a humongous road trip that could set a really good or bad finish.

Why the 10pm.... :cry:

And GJ Fenway, as always! :handclap:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think at some point during the game we will see Belesky given a shot with DK/Pasta.

Hopefully he builds off that strong game.

IF Beleksey is Beleksey again...

Marchand Bergeron Backes
Beleksey Krejci Pasta
Vatrano Spooner Stafford
Cehlarik/Schaller/Hayes Moore Nash

Would be very nice.

Not counting on it...but would be very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad