GDT: Game 68: Canucks @ Coyotes - 6PM - FSAZ

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Same here (in terms of few problems).

Perhaps it depends how you are accessing it. I access it via an App through my gaming system. It sometimes hits a glitch or auto-sets to a poorer quality than I'd like, but overall decent.

The few times I've watched the stream after they upload the condensed version (usually about an hour after the game ends--by condensed, they take out the pre/post game shows but show the entirety of the game) have been much better quality. It's when I join live (or delayed live so I can fast forward through the intermissions) where the quality goes down a bit or it occasionally cuts out.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Pretty sure that’s a bench minor. Our resident referee @Katie Connauton would know for sure.

Correct. The bench throwing anything onto the ice (including sticks) is an automatic bench minor. Throwing any object is universally penalized, either in the form of a minor penalty or penalty shot.

Funny thing about bench minors is that at the NHL level, even if the referee knows who was "responsible" for an infraction qualifying for a bench minor, he can only call a bench minor (i.e. any skater on the offending team's roster can serve the penalty), creating a situation where, to use Coyotes players as an example, Oliver Ekman-Larsson can throw a water bottle (or whatever) onto the ice in plain view of a referee, and then Zac Rinaldo can serve the penalty. The officials in that case are incapable of requiring OEL to serve the penalty.

This is not, however, the case in USA Hockey rules. If the offending player can be identified, then the official can call the penalty against the player rather than call it a bench minor.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Canuck fans are the worst. So loud and obnoxious! Glad we’ve beaten them twice in the last week.

I didn't have that problem with them tonight, personally. I engaged with several of them on the concourse tonight and it was mostly pleasant. A couple of them I was talking to had less kind words to say about Zac Rinaldo, but that's probably pretty fair.

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
I haven't been able to watch games for a while. Has OEL been himself or has he been the worse version of OEL again?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I didn't have that problem with them tonight, personally. I engaged with several of them on the concourse tonight and it was mostly pleasant. A couple of them I was talking to had less kind words to say about Zac Rinaldo, but that's probably pretty fair.
I would’ve liked to have seen how Rinaldo would have handled Dowd.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’m really liking Kuemper as he settles in. I sure hope we get Raanta signed soon. I love the idea of this tandem.
I missed yesterday's game but I believe it was Mosby that said Kuemper played well. I didn't think he looked all that good his previous games but maybe with a new defense in front of him was partly to blame. I expected big things from him so I was a bit disappointed with his play.

rt

May 13, 2004
I missed yesterday's game but I believe it was Mosby that said Kuemper played well. I didn't think he looked all that good his previous games but maybe with a new defense in front of him was partly to blame. I expected big things from him so I was a bit disappointed with his play.
I think it’s been an adjustment and he’s looked much better in the last few than the first few.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'd agree with three of them, but I'm still not high on Kuemper's play, and that's after a shutout. His positioning is sound, but there were a lot of unnecessary rebounds.

Kuemper still scares me because of his positioning. He's really aggressive on the puck, which is good, but more often than I'd like he'll jump out of the crease to follow the puck carrier and leave the net wide open, and his recovery back to the crease takes forever.

I think he's a good backup, which is what we need, but I really want to get Raanta back because I don't think Darcy's got enough consistency to handle a starter's workload.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Kuemper still scares me because of his positioning. He's really aggressive on the puck, which is good, but more often than I'd like he'll jump out of the crease to follow the puck carrier and leave the net wide open, and his recovery back to the crease takes forever.

I think he's a good backup, which is what we need, but I really want to get Raanta back because I don't think Darcy's got enough consistency to handle a starter's workload.
Good that we have both. Both unproven as starters, 50+ games a year, both with potential though. I didn't know this was Kuemper's 4th shut out this year. That is pretty impressive.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Glad the Yotes could get that shutout. Good bounce back game from the last, imo. Kuemper was solid but I still need to see more of him with this team.

Would like to see some more offense from the guys, though. Glad they can win games during a dry spell but some of the players need to find the twine and get rolling again.

rt

May 13, 2004
Kuemper still scares me because of his positioning. He's really aggressive on the puck, which is good, but more often than I'd like he'll jump out of the crease to follow the puck carrier and leave the net wide open...
How much of that is intrinsic tendency and how much of that is adaptability? I ask because what you described is a fine strategy if you can get away with it. What I mean is, if the opposition is poorly positioned in the offensive zone, and quality passing options aren't available, it's quite reasonable to challenge the ever living heck out of shooters. Vancouver, in both games, was very much one-and-done in the offensive zone, as suggested by their shot totals (until we basically ran out of gas late in the 3rd last night). So is Kuemper overly aggressive or is he as aggressive as he can get away with in any given situation? I don't know the answer, but I think we'll have it after the first couple of months next season. :)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
How much of that is intrinsic tendency and how much of that is adaptability? I ask because what you described is a fine strategy if you can get away with it. What I mean is, if the opposition is poorly positioned in the offensive zone, and quality passing options aren't available, it's quite reasonable to challenge the ever living heck out of shooters. Vancouver, in both games, was very much one-and-done in the offensive zone, as suggested by their shot totals (until we basically ran out of gas late in the 3rd last night). So is Kuemper overly aggressive or is he as aggressive as he can get away with in any given situation? I don't know the answer, but I think we'll have it after the first couple of months next season. :)

Those are all very good questions that I don't have answers to - all I know is that when he leaves the net to challenge, his panicked dives back to the crease scare me almost as much as Mike Smith's little casual jaunts to play the puck while the net was surrounded by three opposing players scared me... :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad