Post-Game Talk: GAME #68: Canucks 2 @ Oilers 3

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
..and Gillis didn't rely on Nonis and Burkes acquisitions..?????..The double standards on here are mind blowing.

Mike Gillis wishes he had changed the Canucks’ scouting staff and system earlier

Gillis team wasnt in need of a rebuild/re-tool when he took over. The 2014 Canucks were however, and all Benning managed to bring in was a few players via draft picks given by the league and signing a solid college UFA (Stecher). The most competent man in the front office (Brackett) was also there already. One thing that Benning struggles with is identifying the right people, most of his player acquisitions are ranging from below average to terrible and the staff hires should have you doubting his decision making too. While the promotion of Brackett appears to be a wonderful move just like getting Clark back, a lot of the others have a touch of nepotism or just hiring Canucks alumni.

I think his first hire was Weisbrod who had hired son while being AGM in Calgary. Then he hired Willie Desjardins, one the next hire was his son who had no professional scouting experience prior being hired by Weisbrod. He stuck with WD for 3 years while it was clearly not working at all. Guys like Ryan Johnson, Scott Walker, Dan Cloutier, Manny Malhotra were hired / promoted with one of the main qualification simply being a Canucks alumni - Benning admitted as much. It runs even further, even down in Utica Curtis Sanford and Jason King got hired.

Reactions: B-rock

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Gillis team wasnt in need of a rebuild/re-tool when he took over. The 2014 Canucks were however, and all Benning managed to bring in was a few players via draft picks given by the league and signing a solid college UFA (Stecher). The most competent man in the front office (Brackett) was also there already. One thing that Benning struggles with is identifying the right people, most of his player acquisitions are ranging from below average to terrible and the staff hires should have you doubting his decision making too. While the promotion of Brackett appears to be a wonderful move just like getting Clark back, a lot of the others have a touch of nepotism or just hiring Canucks alumni.

I think his first hire was Weisbrod who had hired son while being AGM in Calgary. Then he hired Willie Desjardins, one the next hire was his son who had no professional scouting experience prior being hired by Weisbrod. He stuck with WD for 3 years while it was clearly not working at all. Guys like Ryan Johnson, Scott Walker, Dan Cloutier, Manny Malhotra were hired / promoted with one of the main qualification simply being a Canucks alumni - Benning admitted as much. It runs even further, even down in Utica Curtis Sanford and Jason King got hired.
Disagree,..the biggest hires (or promotions) that JB has made are Judd Brackett and Travis Green...I also have no problem with the alumni hirings.

The worst obviously was WD..He was brought in to 'salvage' the Sedin playoff window...It was a disaster, and part of me thinks that this was more Linden more than Benning

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Disagree,..the biggest hires (or promotions) that JB has made are Judd Brackett and Travis Green...I also have no problem with the alumni hirings.

The worst obviously was WD..He was brought in to 'salvage' the Sedin playoff window...It was a disaster, and part of me thinks that this was more Linden more than Benning

We obviously have a bit of a different opinion on Green. As for the alumni hires, shouldnt the one and only qualification be that the person is the best possible (available) option for the job? I am not saying all of the mentioned are terrible hire but when it is stated that part of why they were hired is because they know what it means to be a Canuck I seriously doubt the decision making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad