Post-Game Talk: GAME #68: Canucks 2 @ Oilers 3

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
Why is Sportsnet west being played on Sportsnet Pacific. These Oiler homers are almost as bad as our Canucks homers.

skuzzycuzz

Jan 7, 2012
Brock has 3 Primary assists in his past two games, one stretch pass on a OT winner

Still getting **** on like HE'S the problem on the team not the non-existent secondary scoring.
and this is exactly the problem. Oh my god Brock got two assists, big f***ing deal. He actually made some nice passes tonight and even last game, I’ll give credit where credit is due. Overall he is still completey clueless out there, I don’t care how many points he did or didn’t get.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
We lost. But man I had fun at my first NHL game. And I gotta admit that is a nice rink!

That's great, man! It truly is a religious experience to go to your first game. I went to my first NHL game last year in Vegas. Even though it was Gudbranson's worst game as a Canuck ( :laugh: ) it was one of the best times of my adult life. That's awesome you got to see everyone live tonight. :D

Definitely agree that just the experience of getting to see an NHL game live is spectacular.

Vegas sounds like it must have been amazing though from what I hear.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Another poor performance. Extremely loose, disjointed game both ways with tons of scoring chances but Edmonton was easily the better team.

- Demko performed well in a shooting gallery. Biggest positive is the way he kept battling after falling behind 3-0 and made a bunch of big saves to give the team a chance at a point. Not really much chance on any of the goals.

- Josh Leivo was excellent and easily the team’s best player until taking a crosscheck in the ribs. Won battles defensively, skated hard, looked dangerous.

- Pettersson didn’t score but had a better game and skated pretty well. Drew a couple penalties. Goldobin had some jump as well and that line was good.

- Horvat continues to look bagged and Boeser (despite two cheap assists) sluggish and soft.

- Pearson’s skating is baaaaaaaad.

- Gaudette is skating really well and needs to play more. Feel like a broken record here.

- Motte-Beagle-Eriksson were absolute garbage. ‘Defensive line’ just brutal defensively with missed checks and pathetic efforts on two Edmonton goals. Motte is just as AWOL as Eriksson and hasn’t had a good game in a month.

- Edler was given 2nd star but just because he played a ton of minutes and scored a seeing-eye goal doesn’t mean he played well. That pairing was in trouble and running around all night. Not a great game for Stecher.

- I’ve defended Pouliot recently and thought he’s played better but that game for him was grotesque. Just awful. At least 5 awful turnovers plus a penalty. Biega was fine but couldn’t do much about his partner’s mistakes.

- Sautner and Schenn were solid and should be played more instead of burning out the top pairing.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Pouliot is a tire fire.

Granlund didn't look awful tonight, but his body of work speaks for itself this year.

Biega looks gassed, like we have tried to squeeze blood from a turnip.

Motte is looking slower and slower game by game. Maybe it's being tied to Beagle and Eriksson, bu I'm not seeing the motor that made him pop earlier (then again he's not the only one).

We need our injured players back. Hutton, Tanev, Virtanen and Baertschi are all showing their value. The fact two of those guys were nailed by the same guy in the same game is annoying enough, but in addition to replacing anyone leaving or too injured to play, we need two more legitimate acoring players and two more top four D.

I hope we have one D in Hughes either in a few weeks or over the summer.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
and this is exactly the problem. Oh my god Brock got two assists, big ****ing deal. He actually made some nice passes tonight and even last game, I’ll give credit where credit is due. Overall he is still completey clueless out there, I don’t care how many points he did or didn’t get.

I said this 10 games ago. As soon as he scored people chirp me. He scored a goal and cost us 2 (one was in OT). So how’s is that a positive?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

not-sure-if-arxipe.jpg

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Spirited attempt late in the game but mostly a poor performance. Probably for the best - team now needs to lose out. Any win now is one of those late season draft killers. Seems like we've been here for an eternity but its the truth. Let Edmonton continue their futile endeavours to make the playoffs.

Good

Edler - played a tough physical game and looked better on the PP. Was gassed on his last shift but otherwise was important for Vancouver to maintain some semblance of form in the first two periods

Levio - real good game. Unlucky not to score. Showing some good speed and net presence in this game. One of the positives for the team this year.

Schenn - very patient with the puck and made excellent passes coming out of his zone. Needs to be re-signed if he can maintain this over the last part of the year. Biggest surprise I'd say on the team this year

Bad

Pouliot - Poo was no good. After a decent stretch got scratched and then comes back to exhibit previous stinky level of play. Looked slow (because he was) in everything. Clearly out played by Sautner who likely should be ahead of Poo on the depth chart. Poo - Biega combo was not near NHL standard in this game.

Pearson - did zero. Sort of in the play but never could assert himself in any way. In comparison to a player like Levio does not look hungry or a player willing to find ways to contribute.

Others

Goldobin *sigh* - again you never know what you will get shift to a shift. Made as many bad plays and passes as he did good ones. Lacks the intensity, and maybe skill, to complete plays. Many Russian players like him in the history of the NHL. High skill but often never ever to get to the level where they could consistently show it. If these type of players ever get to the next level they become super dangerous players and that's what you have to hope for Goldobin.

Stecher - running of fumes and accumulation of high minute, high use games started to show in this one. Was a tad slow in his reactions and this led to chances against and failure to produce offense. Last shift was good example

Sautner - best game to date. Did not look out of place. Clears signs of development in this player.

Gaudette - should have put away chances but at least he was getting them. Needs to be played heavily down the stretch.

Demko - made some good saves on breakaways but still think Canucks might have won with Markstrom in the nets

Horvat - looked bad for major parts of the game. Couldn't handle McDavid line through out much of the game. Horvat is struggling and you have to wonder if he is 100%

Pettersson - is getting beat down. Lot of the stuff we saw early in the year just isn't happening now.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Spirited attempt late in the game but mostly a poor performance. Probably for the best - team now needs to lose out. Any win now is one of those late season draft killers. Seems like we've been here for an eternity but its the truth. Let Edmonton continue their futile endeavours to make the playoffs.

Good

Edler - played a tough physical game and looked better on the PP. Was gassed on his last shift but otherwise was important for Vancouver to maintain some semblance of form in the first two periods

Levio - real good game. Unlucky not to score. Showing some good speed and net presence in this game. One of the positives for the team this year.

Schenn - very patient with the puck and made excellent passes coming out of his zone. Needs to be re-signed if he can maintain this over the last part of the year. Biggest surprise I'd say on the team this year

Bad

Pouliot - Poo was no good. After a decent stretch got scratched and then comes back to exhibit previous stinky level of play. Looked slow (because he was) in everything. Clearly out played by Sautner who likely should be ahead of Poo on the depth chart. Poo - Biega combo was not near NHL standard in this game.

Pearson - did zero. Sort of in the play but never could assert himself in any way. In comparison to a player like Levio does not look hungry or a player willing to find ways to contribute.

Others

Goldobin *sigh* - again you never know what you will get shift to a shift. Made as many bad plays and passes as he did good ones. Lacks the intensity, and maybe skill, to complete plays. Many Russian players like him in the history of the NHL. High skill but often never ever to get to the level where they could consistently show it. If these type of players ever get to the next level they become super dangerous players and that's what you have to hope for Goldobin.

Stecher - running of fumes and accumulation of high minute, high use games started to show in this one. Was a tad slow in his reactions and this led to chances against and failure to produce offense. Last shift was good example

Sautner - best game to date. Did not look out of place. Clears signs of development in this player.

Gaudette - should have put away chances but at least he was getting them. Needs to be played heavily down the stretch.

Demko - made some good saves on breakaways but still think Canucks might have won with Markstrom in the nets

Horvat - looked bad for major parts of the game. Couldn't handle McDavid line through out much of the game. Horvat is struggling and you have to wonder if he is 100%

Pettersson - is getting beat down. Lot of the stuff we saw early in the year just isn't happening now.
Goldobin = Kovalev?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Real losers of this game were the Oilers....still seven points out after both Dallas and Minny won their games, and let VanCity pass them in the over-under draft sweepstakes.

A predictable result on a back-to-back for the Canucks......too many d=men running on fumes right now. Stecher looked and played small in this one. Pouliot with one of his bad Pouliot games. There's been fewer of them recently, but this onr was stinker.

Canucks with 14 games in the season. In a perfect world they get Quinn Hughes next week; play Demko every second game; and continue to nose-dive. Don't think they can reeled in by the Ducks/Kings.

But the sixth best lottery odds is still a good thing.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
Yeah, he’s not a world beater.
That is a bit simplistic. Goalies (generally) do not walk into the league and dominate.

Clearly to most of the serious Canuck fans, this season is a writeoff. Give the young guys experience and effing hope we get Hughes.

A question for y'all. Would you trade Boeser and our first round draft pick to get Hughes?

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney

Good

Bad

Others

Pettersson is so good that every team in the league is focusing on shutting him down. There is virtually no other scouting report on the Canucks than shut down Pettersson. What is effing frustrating is that the Cancucks can't punish teams for over covering Pettersson. Grrrhhh.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Dammit, a loss to the f***ing Oilers.

Well, we can lose the rest as far as I care. My only concern is the effect a big long scooter mark of games will have on our young players. I don’t want them to get used to playing losing hockey.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->