Post-Game Talk: Game 68 - B's wake up with 10 minutes left and score 5 goals - BRUINS 6 Whalercanes 4 FINAL

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Nothing says Mickey Mouse franchise like making the backup goalie sit in the stands--although in this instance I loved it.

I thought that exact same thing. Then I thought, "Wait. Chara, DeBrusk, and Krug are all injured. Surely there's room on the bench for Dobby NOW...."

Amazing comeback. Haven't seen anything like it in a long time. This team's special. Don't know how special, but we can dream...

Bizarro Bandwagoner

Jan 30, 2010
Maine
I was getting my ass kicked at Fortnite and watching the game out of the corner of my eye. Crazy comeback but I didn't know about the three injuries. There has to be a point where missing half your roster catches up to you I would think. Hopefully they can just get healthy for the playoffs.

Reactions: Strafer and TCB

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Great work by Pasta to keep the puck in the zone before that 2nd goal. He was guarding the blue line there and made a couple of blocks with his body to keep it onside. Made up for his earlier turnover.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Early in the 1st, DeBrusk skated in towards the boards to stick check a Cane but tripped over the back of the Cane's skate and went shoulder first into the boards. His head probably clipped the dasher slightly as his helmet was tipped but he got up hunched over as if it was his shoulder. With 16 minutes left in the 3rd, he dove to try to put the puck in the net and rolled slowly into the boards. They showed him grimacing on the bench.

With about 2:40 (or maybe 2:20) to go in the 2nd, Krug was skating forward entering his defensive zone slightly ahead of the Canes puck carrier who stopped just over the blue line. Krug attempted to stop and it looked like he stretched a leg out awkwardly. He played another shift before the end of the 2nd. I'd guess groin strain. He started the 3rd and had 1 shift after the Canes went up 4-1.

Krug and DeBrusk both went off during the 13:20ish commercial break in the 3rd.

Chara was on ice to start returning from that 13:20 break. Went down parallel to the boards twice on that shift but got right up. Nothing looked out of place. He left at the next stoppage at about 11:20.

Reactions: Sevendust

TimmytheTank

Nov 13, 2008
I was at the game tonight and it was really sad how few canes fans were there. I'm hoping to be able to get to a few more non-Bruins games next year and just support hockey in NC, and the Canes do have some exciting young talent. Was glad to see the come back but watching Justin Williams interview after the game you can't help but feel for the guy. The team deserves more support than it gets.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
As for replacements, Heinen will slide up to Krejci's LW and Wingles will draw back in on the 3rd line.
McQuaid was the other healthy scratch so you figure he will play.
If both Krug and Chara are out then they will need an AHL call up. No way Cross comes up. He is too slow for the NHL. That was evident during last year's playoffs. I would think it is either Postma or Zboril. If Cassidy wants to keep the 3LD/3RD combo, Zboril would be it. It might be a good time to have a look at how far his game has come.

Reactions: Strafer

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Just saw the highlights, sad to have missed that! Any of you turn it off at 4-1?

LOL. Honestly?

Missed the first period (son had a high school band concert), watched that shit show of a second period and Pasta’s horrible turnover that gave up the shorty to put us down 4-1. After that, the wife started leaning on me heavily to put on the season finale of “This Is Us” and I caved.....

Thank God I was taping the game. Switched back and saw the final score on the postgame show, so I picked it back up where I left off.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Gah! Another one for the blood pressure roller coaster. These guys. I was one who was on the verge of shutting it off after that shortie I was so disgusted at the way they were playing. I should have learned by now, but it's hard to undo years of Bruin-related damage to my hope meter :laugh:

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
At 4-1 I kept saying just start with one.
Then one goes in.
Then my grounded son comes out of his bed room and I say “sit down and watch why you never give up”
Then number two go’s in the back of the net.
Then I say one goal at a time.
Then number 3 goes in and me and the boy keep the celebrations going.
Then the over the glass happens and me and the boy look at each other with a glow because we knew it was time to take the lead.
Woooooo thanx for the life lessons for my boy Boston Bruins....
This is the best ever! I'm sure you'll both never forget this game.

Reactions: Btown

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Barry Pederson was pretty awesome too. I remember being kinda pissed when we traded him to Vancouver.

That worked out pretty well for us, so that’s probably why I never made it as an NHL GM.

I still can’t talk about the Joe Thornton trade without breaking something...

Reactions: lopey and TCB

ballofhate13

Jan 6, 2018
I have horrible grammar. I also love calling fans out when I know I have vastly superior knowledge on them about hockey. tonight is not one of those moments. The players had moments of being human during a remarkable season so far.

Tonight is not that night as I commend the comeback and grit shown to accomplish this feat over coming major players lost in the 3rd period.

Tonight's win is all on the culture of what Don Sweeney is creating. Bruce Cassidy is the true Bruins 7th man. He has groomed many of these youngsters in providence and has shown he is not only a teacher but a leader as a coach.

Countless times this season we have viewed the Bruins coming back from deficits and over coming them. The patriots and Bellicheck created this culture and now Don Sweeney and Cassidy are mirroring that with the Bruins.

I do not know how this season ends but I do know this team is real and is going no where but long term contender for years going forward. Hockey IQ is now the new mantra and compete level are main focus going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad