GDT: Game 68 - Avs @ Sharks - Doo Doo Doo - 8PM

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
And yes, he has the luxury of having Nathan MacKinnon in the lineup, but two things: One, MacKinnon didn't actually break out and become a true superstar until Bednar took over, and two, not many teams would do well without their best player.

That's a ridiculous assumption. Especially considering Bednar already had a full season with Mackinnon before his breakout in which he still played pretty poorly (so bad many fans wanted to trade him). You can choose to believe that Bednar is some kind of magical player whisperer, I'll stick to believing that Mackinnon's improvement is from him putting in all the extra effort to work on his game. It says something when this team's best lineups have been forced on to it because of injuries.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
That's a ridiculous assumption. Especially considering Bednar already had a full season with Mackinnon before his breakout in which he still played pretty poorly (so bad many fans wanted to trade him). You can choose to believe that Bednar is some kind of magical player whisperer, I'll stick to believing that Mackinnon's improvement is from him putting in all the extra effort to work on his game. It says something when this team's best lineups have been forced on to it because of injuries.

What do you mean by this?

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
What do you mean by this?
Early in the season, Nichushkin got benched for Wilson despite playing very well and contributing to a lot of the goals being scored even if he didn't get the points to show for it. Later on when Donskoi got injured he finally got a chance to play on the 2nd line with Kadri and Burakovsky which proved to be our best 2nd line.

Injuries in our defense also forced Bednar to play Zadorov in a more prominent role which also happens to be the stretches where he plays the best.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
He also get nitpick penalties like a rookie because he gets the rookie treatment from his coach.

To be clear...you’re suggesting NHL referees give Z unfair penalties because of how his coach treats him, as an explanation for all of Zadorov’s dumb minor penalties?

Alright, I’m done

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Early in the season, Nichushkin got benched for Wilson despite playing very well and contributing to a lot of the goals being scored even if he didn't get the points to show for it. Later on when Donskoi got injured he finally got a chance to play on the 2nd line with Kadri and Burakovsky which proved to be our best 2nd line.

Injuries in our defense also forced Bednar to play Zadorov in a more prominent role which also happens to be the stretches where he plays the best.

There are always times when I’d prefer different lineups to what Bednar uses, but he’s done a really good job this year.

Zadorov isn’t reliable. Plain and simple. That’s why he can’t consistently play in the top-4. Bednar knows this and adjusts accordingly. The defence has been largely excellent for the past couple months with Zadorov playing a reduced role. They’ve taken a step back in the last coupe games, because Makar is injured.

I don’t think Bednar is the best coach in the league, or anything, but he deserves credit for helping get this patchwork lineup to a very good record.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
There are always times when I’d prefer different lineups to what Bednar uses, but he’s done a really good job this year.

Zadorov isn’t reliable. Plain and simple. That’s why he can’t consistently play in the top-4. Bednar knows this and adjusts accordingly. The defence has been largely excellent for the past couple months with Zadorov playing a reduced role. They’ve taken a step back in the last coupe games, because Makar is injured.

I don’t think Bednar is the best coach in the league, or anything, but he deserves credit for helping get this patchwork lineup to a very good record.
He's grinding our Stars to the bone. The team was winning with Zads in the lineup. Benching him for one game to send a message is fine, but 2 is just gonna hurt G or EJ in the long run. The 14 to 18 minutes Zads plays for this team is important. Barbi is a disaster and people pretending the gap between him and Zads isn't big are crazy.

Oddly enough when EJ was injured is when Zads looked his best this year. EJ came back and when Zads ice time started going back down, so did his play. Zadorov definitely seems like a guy that needs the game to be an important one to play his best.

When he's on and feeling he can shutdown McDavid (which he did earlier this season) but when he's low he has a game like that last one. There's no doubt in my mind he'll re-elevate his game come playoff time.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
The defence has been largely excellent for the past couple months with Zadorov playing a reduced role. They’ve taken a step back in the last coupe games, because Makar is injured.
Hmm... That doesn't really match up does it? After Makar went down the defense was still keeping scores low. The only thing affected was Graves' play getting exposed more cause Makar wasn't there to babysit him and he had to play with Girard instead. It wasn't until Zadorov went out that a team put up a big number on us.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He's grinding our Stars to the bone. The team was winning with Zads in the lineup. Benching him for one game to send a message is fine, but 2 is just gonna hurt G or EJ in the long run. The 14 to 18 minutes Zads plays for this team is important. Barbi is a disaster and people pretending the gap between him and Zads isn't big are crazy.

Oddly enough when EJ was injured is when Zads looked his best this year. EJ came back and when Zads ice time started going back down, so did his play. Zadorov definitely seems like a guy that needs the game to be an important one to play his best.

When he's on and feeling he can shutdown McDavid (which he did earlier this season) but when he's low he has a game like that last one. There's no doubt in my mind he'll re-elevate his game come playoff time.

I agree about the ice time. I’d like to see MacK get a minute, or 2 less TOI down the stretch.

I’m not as confident in Zadorov as you are, but I’d love to see him bounce back when he gets his shot again.

I can understand why Bednar gets frustrated. When Z is good he can be real good, but as time has worn on the good Z doesn’t show up very often.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Hmm... That doesn't really match up does it? After Makar went down the defense was still keeping scores low. The only thing affected was Graves' play getting exposed more cause Makar wasn't there to babysit him and he had to play with Girard instead. It wasn't until Zadorov went out that a team put up a big number on us.

Your conveniently leaving out the fact that Francouz stunk against Vancouver.

I’m going to continue to believe that Makar’s absence is more damaging to the team than Zadorov’s.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I agree about the ice time. I’d like to see MacK get a minute, or 2 less TOI down the stretch.

I’m not as confident in Zadorov as you are, but I’d love to see him bounce back when he gets his shot again.

I can understand why Bednar gets frustrated. When Z is good he can be real good, but as time has worn on the good Z doesn’t show up very often.
He was on a 4 game 7 point streak at the beginning of February. He played well for a while after that too. In March he has looked bad though. It just grinds my gears that he wasn't given the opportunity to respond after his benching.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He was on a 4 game 7 point streak at the beginning of February. He played well for a while after that too. In March he has looked bad though. It just grinds my gears that he wasn't given the opportunity to respond after his benching.

Oh, don’t worry. He’ll definitely get his chance.

One of Connauton, or Barberio will falter soon leaving the door open lol

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
To be clear...you’re suggesting NHL referees give Z unfair penalties because of how his coach treats him, as an explanation for all of Zadorov’s dumb minor penalties?

Alright, I’m done
Not all his penalties, but some of them. He absolutely got the rookie treatment for ever he’s been in the league. If your coach doesn’t have your back, it means no respect. Refs call (in part) on respect. That’s why vets get leeway and rookies don’t. That’s not something new. I hope you have noticed that.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Not all his penalties, but some of them. He absolutely got the rookie treatment for ever he’s been in the league. If your coach doesn’t have your back, it means no respect. Refs call (in part) on respect. That’s why vets get leeway and rookies don’t. That’s not something new. I hope you have noticed that.

Vets get leeway and rookies don't. Generally. Some vets have lost any respect all on their own, e.g. Kadri.

However, I find the idea that referees treat Zadorov differently because of Bednar absolutely laughable.

Zadorov earns a host of minor penalties because he is an idiot and falls behind the play, consequently taking penalties because he's missed his man, failed to move his feet, or drifted out of position. Not because he is a rookie, and certainly not because referees have somehow collectively decided Bednar doesn't respect Zadorov so therefore they don't have to either. This (specifically the supposed connection between Bednar and the refs) is an incredible reach founded on zero evidence.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Vets get leeway and rookies don't. Generally. Some vets have lost any respect all on their own, e.g. Kadri.

However, I find the idea that referees treat Zadorov differently because of Bednar absolutely laughable.

Zadorov earns a host of minor penalties because he is an idiot and falls behind the play, consequently taking penalties because he's missed his man, failed to move his feet, or drifted out of position. Not because he is a rookie, and certainly not because referees have somehow collectively decided Bednar doesn't respect Zadorov so therefore they don't have to either. This (specifically the supposed connection between Bednar and the refs) is an incredible reach founded on zero evidence.
Obviously I cannot provide evidence, I’m not in the refs brains.

But let me put it this way: I have seen so many call on Z that are of the extreme strickness kind it’s not even funny. More than any other Avs. On the other hand I have never seen Bednar talk to the ref after such calls and say « hey what was that? ».

Again, it does not explain all the calls. Not even most of them. But it compounds the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad