GDT: Game 68 - Avs @ Sharks - Doo Doo Doo - 8PM

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't believe Bednar has ever used two scratches in a row to send a message to Z. This is uncharted territory for their relationship, and I don't like what it could mean. Especially since it means our BEST option is running a Barberio-Connauton pairing in his absence.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I don't believe Bednar has ever used two scratches in a row to send a message to Z. This is uncharted territory for their relationship, and I don't like what it could mean. Especially since it means our BEST option is running a Barberio-Connauton pairing in his absence.

giphy.gif

Reactions: CobraAcesS

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Really riding Francouz huh? Thought Hutchinson might start, I guess tomorrow he might.
I think it will depend on how tonight goes for Francouz. If he doesn't face a lot of shots I wouldn't be surprised at all if he starts the back to back again.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Z simply hasn’t been the same since returning from his broken jaw. Physicality is missing and he’s been making defensive mistakes at a much higher rate recently.

Reactions: Joe Sakic

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Wasn't ROR leaving anyway? So it'd rather be would you want 1 year of ROR or Zads+JTC for however long they or their trade returns will be along.
ROR wouldnt leave if Avs resigned him. I know what's done is done, but if Avs had ROR right now, they wouldnt have to trade Barrie for a center, they could trade him for a top 6 winger instead.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Wasn't ROR leaving anyway? So it'd rather be would you want 1 year of ROR or Zads+JTC for however long they or their trade returns will be along.
Factor just wanted to be paid what he was worth. The whole "Duchene cap" is what really drove O'Reilly out of town, which is funny to me because this org couldn't see that ROR had a lot more value on the ice than Duchene. Regardless, O'Reilly was given his due from the Sabres after the Avs refused to do so, unfortunately.

Reactions: Joe Sakic

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
ROR wouldnt leave if Avs resigned him. I know what's done is done, but if Avs had ROR right now, they wouldnt have to trade Barrie for a center, they could trade him for a top 6 winger instead.
If we still had ROR Barrie wouldn't be traded imo.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I was hoping at least 1 or 2 guys would be back for this one.

Knowing the Avs' luck and knowing the Sharks, another 1 or 2 guys will be lost, instead

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
If we had built around ROR and Barrie we wouldn’t have Makar. And both ROR and Barrie are going to be on the decline soon.

The Avs are built for long term success now.
Barrie is extremely overrated around here. The guy should've been a forward. A guy making 7+ million should also be able to play defense. Toronto fans know this now as well. He's an extremely likeable dude with a great personality, but he just can't play defense.

Reactions: MrWhiffles and 5280

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
The way Zadorov was playing, having him out of the lineup isn’t depleting it. Barberio and Connauton have been no worse.

At least by scratching Zadorov you have a chance to perhaps get him back to a level better than 6/7 defenceman.

I just hope when Bednar puts him back in the lineup, he tells him to be physical.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's not as simple as "ROR instead of Kadri." If they had kept O'Reilly this team would be looking VERY different right now. There's certainly not guarantee that MacKinnon would've taken the discounted deal he did, and I'm not certain the Avs would've had the cap room to keep guys like Landeskog either.

I'm not here defending the trade, it doesn't look great at present, but sure as hell a lot better than what the stupid Sabres got for him.

Barrie is extremely overrated around here. The guy should've been a forward. A guy making 7+ million should also be able to play defense. Toronto fans know this now as well. He's an extremely likeable dude with a great personality, but he just can't play defense.

Oh this again.

Barrie is a perfectly fine puckmoving D. He might be on the decline, I don't know, but he was among one of the most consistent and dynamic offensive defensemen in the league while he was in Colorado. His faults were obvious but no, he shouldn't be a forward any more than a guy like Erik Karlsson should be a forward (and yes, I went there, even though Barrie is not on the same level as EK65). And there are plenty of defensemen like him in the league who make up for their play away from the puck with their play with the puck.

Anyway, I wish we'd all just move on from Tyson Barrie. He's gone. Avs have a very exciting mix of defensemen either on the roster or on their way. Barrie will likely get a decent chunk of change to play out the remainder of his career, and while I hope to hell it's not in the goddamned division, I hope he gets to play it out with relative success.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
This Z scratch is a fail on Bednar if he can’t get the best out of Z any other way. We are undermanned as it is, no reason to deplete the lineup on purpose.
I don't agree. Z has been horrible lately and this is kind of Bednars last chance in getting him to turn his game around.

Reactions: hawk30

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
While I didn't love the way the defense looked, I don't blame Bednar for keeping Z in the press box. Maybe we'll see him come back a little meaner and not so lost, but Bednar simply can't trust the guy right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad