Post-Game Talk: GAME #67 (haha, 67): Canucks 3 vs. Maple Leafs 2 (OT)

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Impressive comeback. The Leafs don't usually get out-played, especially that significantly, in 3 on 3.

Curious to hear how Schenn has been for you guys. He's always been one of my favorite players, happy to see he's back in the league. Had a couple unlucky bounces tonight but overall how has he looked?
He's definately slow but when he gets the puck he doesnt panic and cough it up or ice it. Usually makes a good outlet pass, such a big difference from Gudbranson

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Fair haha. Next time don’t be shy, you were the guy talking about the Zaitsev contract ?
I was sitting next to a guy wearing a green st pats leafs jersey. I think so though.

We switched onto that train like halfway thru bc of some weird guy on another one of the trains

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I know Leafs Nation are brimming with optimism about the post-season, but just not sure how this group is going to respond to heavier hockey, where the refs put their whistles in their pockets. They love to free-wheel, but thought they looked vulnerable to the Canucks down-low forecheck.

Gaudette is quietly becoming one of the Canucks real success stories this season. Has made a quantum leap in performance. And after watching Alex Biega for the past couple of weeks, I'm baffled.

How in the world did this guy sit in the pressbox night after night, while Erik Gudbranson lumbered around out there? He has 10 times more mobility and despite his stature, has a far higher battle level. But I guess it's the same reason two goal scorer Jay Beagle gets more ice-time than Gaudette.

Coaches's decisions, but bizarre ones.
I know all the media are impressed by the Leafs smurf cheap point producing Leafs 4th line lately, but I'm not really convinced that its going to pay dividends in post season play..Its entirely different...I even remember Raffi Torres being rather insignificant in the regular season to being a total factor in the playoffs....Playoffs are a totally different animal.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I know all the media are impressed by the Leafs smurf cheap point producing Leafs 4th line lately, but I'm not really convinced that its going to pay dividends in post season play..Its entirely different...I even remember Raffi Torres being rather insignificant in the regular season to being a total factor in the playoffs....Playoffs are a totally different animal.

Pretty much... a lot of recent buzz of the new era skilled 4th lines being a thing... as repped by the the Toronto Maple Leafs' 4th...
(Ennis hattrick was the driving force tho)

We'll see in the playoffs... I'm thinking otherwise..

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I started watching with 4 left in the 2nd...

Really like how smothering our team was... Vegas style... gave em no space or time the 27 mins I watched...

Great to see em finish it in OT...
The Eagle... was a beast.. gave em nothing when he was on.. then snipes it... Reilly hesitates thinking Boeser has speed to get in the play, realizes his mistake too late... Snipe. Win.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
No idea what Toronto was doing in OT. they had a couple chances to gain possession and they acted like they couldn't care less.

They always look like that against shitty teams. Not trying to a dick towards the Canucks but it is true.

Ultimately stuff like that is going to come back and bite them.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
The whiny resentment of Toronto is a Vancouver thing, not a hockey thing.
What’s to resent?

I don't know, but there must be something... if you're a Torontonian visiting Vancouver, a Vancouverite will passively-aggressively tell you within five minutes of meeting you that he thinks your city sucks.

Back to the game. Full marks to the Canucks ... the Leafs might have had a touch of Roxy flu, but their fragility was also in evidence. I do wonder how that's going look against the Broons.

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Watched Pearson a lot this year and i can say this easily with conviction, that this was his best game of the year.
Holy hell, he never played like that when he was on the Penguins.

VanCanFanEDM

Mar 22, 2004
Edmonton
Unpopular opinion, but I thought we blew chunks till the last 15 minutes of the 3rd period against a clearly tired as balls Leafs team. Obviously better than Vegas game but that wasn’t a high bar, and without Marky(how many times has that been said) we guarantee lose that game.

I don't get that at all.. Anderson played well for the Leafs as well.. I thought the Canuck's played hard and fast and was really surprised how well the defense as a whole played.. Sautner in particular but Shenn and Puliot were solid. Impressive.

Reactions: Nomobo

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
This Nucks/Leafs fanbase beef is so weird. lol

Like it's one of the most heated things on the board and we see each other twice a year and the teams themselves don't even seem to hate each other. :laugh:

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
This game illustrates something I’ve observed throughout the season, that Edler-Stecher is probably* our best pairing by a quite a lot. They trucked the Leafs forwards lines at even strength. When they were on the bench, the Canucks were on the ropes.

*limited minutes, I want to see more

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Reactions: Brock Olli Juolevi

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
This Nucks/Leafs fanbase beef is so weird. lol

Like it's one of the most heated things on the board and we see each other twice a year and the teams themselves don't even seem to hate each other. :laugh:

Years of Luongo and Tanev "trade rumours" have led to a lot of ignorant comments, which have led to hurtful attacks. I used to live out east, and honestly, anything between Thunder Bay and New Brunswick could drift away and I wouldn't bat an eye.

Also I think politics plays a factor in our resentment. We can have a play being narrated stopped dead so someone can tell us how great Marner is, in a Flames-Canucks game, and that is a reflection of western alienation in how federal politics affects us. "Stop what you're doing, Toronto has a runny nose!"

Reactions: vanarchy

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
I don't know, but there must be something... if you're a Torontonian visiting Vancouver, a Vancouverite will passively-aggressively tell you within five minutes of meeting you that he thinks your city sucks.

Back to the game. Full marks to the Canucks ... the Leafs might have had a touch of Roxy flu, but their fragility was also in evidence. I do wonder how that's going look against the Broons.
Hmmm....maybe Torontonians wear their arrogance a bit like cheap cologne? Also is the Roxy Flu still a thing? Or just a lazy excuse?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad