GDT: [Game #67] Dallas Stars @ San Jose Sharks - 9:30 PM CT (BSSW)

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Agree. Have seen posts/talks (not just on HF) about Stars being a tough match for the Avalanche but I’d rather face the Flames.
Prefacing this by saying I know you aren't out here declaring it, but I'm just tired of seeing it without any sort of justification.

I've always found the Stars having a good matchup against the Avs take ridiculous, the Avs are better in nearly every meaningful metric across the board, including goals against. The only thing people are using as an argument is the fluky series win against them two years ago where they nearly beat us with their 3rd string goalie in net. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it's really unlikely and assuming the Stars have some sort of magical edge against the Avs because of playing styles seems silly to me. I've yet to see it be backed up with a rational reason. If someone had a thoughtful, laid out argument as to why the Stars are going to edge out Colorado, I'd be eager to read it, but I've never seen anyone even cite a reason.

It's right up there with the Stars being 'built for the playoffs' thing I keep seeing. Equally ridiculous considering the Stars strengths lie on scoring on the powerplay and having a good record in 3v3 and the shootout this year. Two things there will be a lot less of. They also have another big achilles heel, a coach who is completely unadaptable. Even an average coach is going to think circles around Bowness.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Prefacing this by saying I know you aren't out here declaring it, but I'm just tired of seeing it without any sort of justification.

I've always found the Stars having a good matchup against the Avs take ridiculous, the Avs are better in nearly every meaningful metric across the board, including goals against. The only thing people are using as an argument is the fluky series win against them two years ago where they nearly beat us with their 3rd string goalie in net. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it's really unlikely and assuming the Stars have some sort of magical edge against the Avs because of playing styles seems silly to me. I've yet to see it be backed up with a rational reason. If someone had a thoughtful, laid out argument as to why the Stars are going to edge out Colorado, I'd be eager to read it, but I've never seen anyone even cite a reason.

It's right up there with the Stars being 'built for the playoffs' thing I keep seeing. Equally ridiculous considering the Stars strengths lie on scoring on the powerplay and having a good record in 3v3 and the shootout this year. Two things there will be a lot less of. They also have another big achilles heel, a coach who is completely unadaptable. Even an average coach is going to think circles around Bowness.
Have you watched the playoffs in the past 3 years?

Columbus swept Tampa in 2018-19
We beat the wheels off Vegas and somehow went to the cup final in 2019-20
Montreal went to the cup final playing the same style of hockey as the Stars did + fueled by a hot goalie

Strange things happen in a best of 7 hockey series. I would wager that Colorado has a 5% edge on the Stars in a playoff round, f*** it- throw conventional wisdom out the window. Just win baby

Last edited:

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
21-22 Cup Champs is the only vibe y’all should be spreading right now. We are that good come crunch time

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
We're also 6-1 against Colorado in the last three regular seasons (didn't play them last year due to division only games).

If you take out Bishop overestimating his knees in game 5, that series could've been over in 5 games as well.

We absolutely play the Avs well. I honestly would prefer them over Calgary. Calgary gave us fits in the playoffs before Tkachuk went down. We needed a lot more luck to get past them.

Our team really is built for the playoffs, no one should be doubting that. Their biggest struggle seems to be getting there.

Reactions: Kipper 17

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
I do think Dallas is a tough out for the Avs. But I thought that cause the playoffs the refs put the whistles away and it becomes physical. Dallas is a bigger team. But Colorado went out and got some size this year at the deadline. So maybe it switches for them. They have been too soft in the past. Their best defensemen are small. Their forwards are big but not physical.

Still with a game in hand on Nashville I would rather play the flames. Let Nashville play the Avs.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017

Montreal went to the cup final playing the same style of hockey as the Stars did + fueled by a hot goalie

Strange things happen in a best of 7 hockey series. I would wager that Colorado has a 5% edge on the Stars in a playoff round, f*** it- throw conventional wisdom out the window. Just win baby
I don’t know if they even have an edge in a playoff series . Stars are a dangerous team when they get hungry .

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA

These are not reasons the Stars have some concrete edge on Colorado, they are exceptions and edge cases that commonly lead to playoff upsets. I fully understand no team is 100% going to beat another team, especially in only 7 games, but I think the Avs have a much, much higher edge than 5% on the Stars. I think it's closer to 60-40 or maybe even 70-30 depending on injures and whatnot.
Our team really is built for the playoffs, no one should be doubting that. Their biggest struggle seems to be getting there.
What makes them built for the playoffs? Their strengths this regular season are going to be eliminated. Stylistically, their two best d-men are not tough or rugged and won't benefit from clutch and grab, I suppose Lindell and someone like Hakanpaa could, but those guys aren't going to be massive difference makers above and beyond what they're doing now.

Unless Benn drinks from the fountain of youth again like he did in 2020, it's still a one line team that isn't really that physical anyway. People keep saying they are built for the playoffs, I do not know what that means at this point.

The Stars record against the Avs is probably the only thing I've seen that is in favor of the Stars, and if you were to look at the last two games those two teams played, the Stars got absolutely destroyed everywhere but on the scoreboard. So if you think they can do that 4 times out of 7 and win, then sure. I don't really see what they did two years ago as being relevant to now though, the team is so fundamentally different from even two years ago that it feels meaningless to me. They are 2-1 this season, so at least there's that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00