GDT: Game 66: Avs @ Ducks|3/3 2pm MT

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
So, three years under Roy as head coach, Avs made it to playoff once, the other two are playoff bubble team. Three years under Bednar, 1 year made it to playoff, 1 year as lottery team, and I think this year is a playoff bubble team ( that will not make it).

It's more than coaching, I think. We have no depth. That said, I am hoping there will be coaching change in the off season.

Agreed. Colorado’s issues are deeper than coaching. However, if they miss this year a chance should be made, preferably for a *gasp* coach with successful experience at the NHL level (unless that candidate is John Tortorella, just say no!)

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Well on the bright side at least we didn't mortgage the future just to miss the playoffs. I don't care what people say, Even if we pulled a Columbus and acquired Duchene, Dzingel, etc. they aren't going to fix this team this year.

Reactions: klozge

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Ugly stuff.
As for Cole - that is what he is. He cross-checks guys in the kidneys as a rule. He blocks Wilson's fists with his face because he is an idiot. And he comes back from all that and just takes penalties. It is what he was in Pittsburgh and it is what he is now. He is the Kasparitis we don't need.

Reactions: Grackle Party

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs are just going to keep bouncing between a wild card spot and a top 10 pick, aren't they?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Ugly stuff.
As for Cole - that is what he is. He cross-checks guys in the kidneys as a rule. He blocks Wilson's fists with his face because he is an idiot. And he comes back from all that and just takes penalties. It is what he was in Pittsburgh and it is what he is now. He is the Kasparitis we don't need.
Hilarious how Joe Sakic thought he was going to be a fixture in this team's top-4.

Ian Cole is a ****ing disaster and Joe Sakic STILL hasn't learned his lesson regarding bad free agent signings.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Hilarious how Joe Sakic thought he was going to be a fixture in this team's top-4.

Ian Cole is a ****ing disaster and Joe Sakic STILL hasn't learned his lesson regarding bad free agent signings.

I coul have lived with 2 years but as usual, it's the extra 3rd year that's gonna hurt the most.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
So, three years under Roy as head coach, Avs made it to playoff once, the other two are playoff bubble team. Three years under Bednar, 1 year made it to playoff, 1 year as lottery team, and I think this year is a playoff bubble team ( that will not make it).

It's more than coaching, I think. We have no depth. That said, I am hoping there will be coaching change in the off season.
No, it's not only coaching. Coaching isn't helping, though. And helping is what it should do.
This is not saying Bednar hasn't done important things for us. MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Soda and Girard have made big steps under his tutelage. I'd love to keep him as an assisting coach but that probably won't happen. He just isn't the right head coach anymore.

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Rantanen was the best forward tonight. Don't put him on the same sentence with Barrie.

flag-of-finland-3435513_640.jpg

Not blaming you though, I'm the same sometimes for certain Swedish players. ;-)

Last edited:

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
I remember watching last game when Cole first returned and in the first period he was on the ice in front of the net, limply flailing his stick and open glove hand because he had been drastically outplayed and I thought, "Yeah I didn't miss this at all."

Then he took a stupid penalty by bear hugging the opposing player and thought, "I DEFINITELY didn't miss this."

I didn't get to watch this game... but it seems like I didn't miss much.

Reactions: MacBradley

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Actually, I didn't like Nemeth's game yesterday and also he was acting like a chicken when Perry went mental and confronted him, I felt embarrassed. :-( I cannot understand why a big strong physical guy like Nemeth "Turning the other cheek" like that. The Avs needed something at the time, ignition. This is hockey and other rules and books apply on the ice, not the bible, he should be able to win a fight vs Perry or at least trying. Coward

Also I am increadibly frustrated by the lack of good slapshot shooters in this team, it's too pretty sometimes. MacKinnon is world class obviously but the rest? Zadorov yes, great slapper, but not using his weapon much enough. I want some pressure Canadian style and scoring on rebounds, easy goals.

There were/are reasons why I prefer NHL comparing to SHL but now the Avs is looking like a SHL team. Too pretty, too soft and also in a classical laid back/relaxed/calm Swedish way not playing hard with urgency until 10 minutes left of the game, frustrating. Finally but not last the NHL referees starting to look like soft SHL referees not allowing physical play? Wtf? :-(

The Ducks definately a better team comparing to what the standings are telling us though but it's still not an excuse for losing. I have a feeling the Ducks may surprise several teams in the last phase of this season.

Last edited:

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
I think Bednar is the best coach we had since "Q". I really do. But there has to be something seriously wrong with the way he's approaching the players. In the most important time of the year, with us being in a dog fight for a Playoff spot, the team failed to show up on time not once but TWICE in a row. WTF ???

This is likely more on the players than it is on the coach - but still WTF ???

Sure you can blame Bednar for some questionable roster decisions (Graves/Greer/Toni) but playing or not playing those guys should not have that much of an impact.

Things need to change and they need to change quick. And Bednar has to lead the way. Don't be a friend, be a coach ffs.

Roy did not quit because he thought our core wasn't good enough, he quit because this core does not have enough winners. And you know what, he was right. We have enough talent on this roster, but what we don't have are enough players with the right attitude. The last 2 games are perfect examples for that. And that makes me sick.

Last edited:
Reactions: kchan9

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV

In my mind it’s still coaching to recognize strengths and weaknesses. He’s gotten Mack to excel but has a love affair with horrible players like Dries and Gorque.

Moosehead44

Feb 11, 2019
Best case scenario is Cole gets suspended, Graves comes back, we win and he's solid...then Bednar has the ghost of hockey's future visit him in the night and makes him sit Cole.
If Graves has been so good why would Bednar only play him around 12 minutes per game. Most coaches like their jobs and want to win games don't you think.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
In my mind it’s still coaching to recognize strengths and weaknesses. He’s gotten Mack to excel but has a love affair with horrible players like Dries and Gorque.
You're right about Dries but Bourque barely plays. This fairy tale needs to die. Having said that i'm not sure why Gourque is still with the Avs. At this point in time he should be in the AHL. Or in Europe,

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Cole has been garbage since December and one of our worst defenders, no doubt.

But we saw a glimpse of what he can bring, the dude was an absolute rock on the back-end in October and November. He was our best defender by a mile when Girard, EJ, and Zads was struggling to find their consistency. We wouldn't have won as many games early without Cole. My expectation is that he can bring something in between being buy-out fodder and our best defenseman, basically just a solid defenseman with a decent outlet pass.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Cole has been garbage since December and one of our worst defenders, no doubt.

But we saw a glimpse of what he can bring, the dude was an absolute rock on the back-end in October and November. He was our best defender by a mile when Girard, EJ, and Zads was struggling to find their consistency. We wouldn't have won as many games early without Cole. My expectation is that he can bring something in between being buy-out fodder and our best defenseman, basically just a solid defenseman with a decent outlet pass.

Yeah if they don't burn him out by playing him so much in the first couple of months. I don't know how many times we were warned we would love him until he seemingly secures a spot in the top four for too long.

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Listen, we probably wont make the playoffs...Replacing our working 4th line with garbage was probably the dumbest shit I've seen this season. Our young players have not developed like we hoped, Tyson Barrie has regressed tremendously on both sides of the ice. At least we have Makar coming in next year with another top 3 pick. Next year is looking NICE.

One thing that really pisses me off to no end is reading "The Athletic" and how Coles vision still isn't anywhere close to 100%. Why play him if he can't see very well and is sporting a full mask and bench Graves who was serviceable?

Ian Cole's vision 'still a work in progress' upon his return...

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Listen, we probably wont make the playoffs...Replacing our working 4th line with garbage was probably the dumbest **** I've seen this season. Our young players have not developed like we hoped, Tyson Barrie has regressed tremendously on both sides of the ice. At least we have Makar coming in next year with another top 3 pick. Next year is looking NICE.

One thing that really pisses me off to no end is reading "The Athletic" and how Coles vision still isn't anywhere close to 100%. Why play him if he can't see very well and is sporting a full mask and bench Graves who was serviceable?

Ian Cole's vision 'still a work in progress' upon his return...
Even with two fully functioning eyes this guy shouldnt be playing he sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad