Post-Game Talk: GAME 65 THE BEAR escapes a beartrap - BRUINS 1 New Jersey 0 F

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
There is not a doubt Boston under Cassidy have played well.Just need to look at his winning % as Bruins head coach cause it is undeniable .The Bruins however have not gotten past 2nd round under him and in fact Cassidy has not gotten past it anywhere.This will be the measuring stick of success this year.It is time to take the next step and get back to the Conference finals .Go Bruins.
I don’t buy this. If the Bruins finish top 3 overall, beat Toronto (4-5th best team in the league) in the first round and then lose to the juggernaut, undeniably best team in the NHL in the second round (let’s say in a close 7 game series), the season won’t pass the “measuring stick of success”? It’s not the Bruins’ or Cassidy’s fault the NHL playoff structure is so terrible.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
D0uhPoGW0AE1qm9.png

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I don’t buy this. If the Bruins finish top 3 overall, beat Toronto (4-5th best team in the league) in the first round and then lose to the juggernaut, undeniably best team in the NHL in the second round (let’s say in a close 7 game series), the season won’t pass the “measuring stick of success”? It’s not the Bruins’ or Cassidy’s fault the NHL playoff structure is so terrible.
What if they lose to Toronto or get beat again in 5 by Tampa?Sooner or later as a coach you need to move on in playoffs.Cassidy has done really good in Boston but fact remains he has never gotten past a 2nd round here or anywhere so that is the measuring stick for me.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
What if they lose to Toronto or get beat again in 5 by Tampa?Sooner or later as a coach you need to move on in playoffs.Cassidy has done really good in Boston but fact remains he has never gotten past a 2nd round here or anywhere so that is the measuring stick for me.
Another second round exit would likely be a result of a lack of talent, and probably not coaching. Bruins management - not Cassidy - is ultimately responsible for the talent, but it is Cassidy that will be held accountable should the Bruins lose in the 2nd round again.

Unfair, but that’s how the Bruins roll.

I think coaching will be the reason for any Bruins success in the playoffs, but talent will be the reason if/when they lose.

Reactions: Strafer

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Another second round exit would likely be a result of a lack of talent, and probably not coaching. Bruins management - not Cassidy - is ultimately responsible for the talent, but it is Cassidy that will be held accountable should the Bruins lose in the 2nd round again.

I think coaching will be the reason for any Bruins success in the playoffs, but talent will be the reason if/when they lose.

Lack of talent.?16 game run and beat any team considered a fav.All I am saying is sooner or later as a coach you need to move on in playoffs or you will get painted as good enough to get a team there but fail when it matters most.I think Bruce is a good coach but he has to get that monkey off his back and this year he has the team to do it.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Yea then why do coaches get fired ?Cause they need to get a team over the hump eventually is why.No prizes for 2nd round exits.If Leafs lose early you watch the screaming for Babcocks head

Well, I guess we can toss Barry Trotz out the window with that theory. Because he did just that and won the whole thing.

Washington was moving on from him no matter what happened because they had what they felt was a better option in the wings.

And you’re 100% right about Mike Babcock. It usually boils down to one thing and one thing only:

Are the players buying into the coach?

Not even the great Mike Babcock is immune to that

Reactions: Strafer

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Do we lack the talent though?

Arguably best first line in hockey when they are together.

A fairly mobile defense other than Z which had been a knock in the past.

Middle 6 that includes a combination Coyle, Heinen, Debrusk, Krejci, Johansson, +1.

One of the best 4th lines in the league.

Ideally Sweeney made more of a splash for 2nd line RW but what team doesn't have holes except maybe Tampa in the east.

If we lose to Toronto in the first round, I'd consider that a disappointment. If we go out to Tampa in 5 in the same fashion as last year, that will be disappointing.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
It seems pretty clear that this Bruins team is responding to Cassidy quite well. They are playing super hard and with great structure. If they don't go all the way, it won't be because of him but because of bad luck, injuries, superior talent on the teams they play, or goaltending lapses. In other words, things out of his control.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->