Post-Game Talk: GAME 65 THE BEAR escapes a beartrap - BRUINS 1 New Jersey 0 F

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
After a long successful road trip, the first game at Home is usually a letdown.

However on this Home Stand, the first game was against San Jose whom the Bruins had the high spirited OT game against and the adrenalin was still there.

This was followed up by the Measuring Stick game against the league's best team, Tampa Bay. Check!

Having passed the first two tests with flying colors, the game against the non-playoff Devils figured to be the proverbial letdown game.

Thankfully the Bruins did enough to earn the two pts.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
One thing we were discussing after the game is Cassidy in his 2 years has made the Bruins are far better club at home than Claude.

The Donato/Coyle debate is futile as it is obvious Cassidy just felt the room was better without him and wanted him in Providence or gone.
Interesting.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
zboril is producing at a pretty decent clip as well. I haven’t ruled him out. He plays on the edge which is different from the 4 guys previously listed. Clifton is a player too. And then we have guys like Axel Andersson who could enter the picture at some point down the road

The D is loaded. They’ll be contenders for awhile for that reason alone imo

Reactions: FanSince72

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Bruins take a page from the Devils' past, winning 1-0 with Tuukka getting a Brodeur-like 20 save shutout.

With Miller & Pasta out, turnovers are way down. Hence, team defense is probably at the level of the very best Julien B's teams.

Fantastic insight here. Pasta is great but a turnover machine. Miller meh. This team is Julien era A game tight right now.

Reactions: Strafer

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Bruins take a page from the Devils' past, winning 1-0 with Tuukka getting a Brodeur-like 20 save shutout.

With Miller & Pasta out, turnovers are way down. Hence, team defense is probably at the level of the very best Julien B's teams.

Very true about the turnovers. As far as I see it Miller can sit, the dee is way better without his giveaways and screening the goalie, he can hit so use him vs heavy teams. Moore is a better puck mover and has size. Pasta well yeah he makes those gamble plays but that also makes him unpredictable. Gotta get Coyle a couple wingers that can help him,. Right now they are a checking/cycling line, no threat to score, ever.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Yea definitely far from his top 10 all time rat plays, but just unnecessary.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
The first video certainly makes Marchand to be giving a cheap shot.
The second video exonerates him as far as I am concerned. You can clearly see the
Devil player gliding into him backwards. I suppose Brad could have just let him
slam into him. I have no beef with this play.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Very true about the turnovers. As far as I see it Miller can sit, the dee is way better without his giveaways and screening the goalie, he can hit so use him vs heavy teams. Moore is a better puck mover and has size. Pasta well yeah he makes those gamble plays but that also makes him unpredictable. Gotta get Coyle a couple wingers that can help him,. Right now they are a checking/cycling line, no threat to score, ever.

Going to be interesting when Miller gets back.

I’d like to atleast tryout Pasta with Coyle. Keep Heinen with the big guns and the 2nd line has been rolling. Won’t happen, but it’d be interesting to explore.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

I’d like to atleast tryout Pasta with Coyle. Keep Heinen with the big guns and the 2nd line has been rolling. Won’t happen, but it’d be interesting to explore.
I do not think they can go wrong. I would like to see that too. Maybe try Coyle, Pasta and Cehlarik, could be good, except Celly is in the doghouse. Or move up Wagner. He hits like Backes but has better hands and skates faster. Backes brings nothing to the offence, good cycle guy that hits and dumps it in but too slow and flat footed, no give and goes ever. That is basically a 4th line role. Switch those guys and give Coyle either Pasta or Heinen. Coyle has to carry it all the time and looks to have 3 guys on him. He needs neutral zone speed with him

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Sorry if I'm a little late to this, but last night was Marchand's 666th career game, he had 666 penalty minutes going into it, they were playing the Devils, and he just happens to be the only one to score a goal for either team...

Signs of the apocalypse much? :P

Reactions: EvilDead and BMC

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
One thing we were discussing after the game is Cassidy in his 2 years has made the Bruins are far better club at home than Claude.

The Donato/Coyle debate is futile as it is obvious Cassidy just felt the room was better without him and wanted him in Providence or gone.

There is not a doubt Boston under Cassidy have played well.Just need to look at his winning % as Bruins head coach cause it is undeniable .The Bruins however have not gotten past 2nd round under him and in fact Cassidy has not gotten past it anywhere.This will be the measuring stick of success this year.It is time to take the next step and get back to the Conference finals .Go Bruins.

JumboJoe19

Hank027
Aug 4, 2007
Toronto

interesting thought, I would like to see that as well. 3 solid lines that can score.

Reactions: FanSince72

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Sorry if I'm a little late to this, but last night was Marchand's 666th career game, he had 666 penalty minutes going into it, they were playing the Devils, and he just happens to be the only one to score a goal for either team...

Signs of the apocalypse much? :P

No, it just means Brad can be a little devil

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Last night was just dreadful to watch in person and sadly the game is exactly what I expected.

Here’s an angle for you: This Bruins win was a snoozer - The Boston Globe

Halfway through the Bruins’ 1-0 win over the over the Devils at the Garden on Saturday night, it came to me: oh brother, this is going nowhere.

Rarely has your faithful puck chronicler been so right. In a sport typically so full of passion, emotion, struggle, pushback and tumult — the delicious, rich stock that makes the NHL soup so delicious — Game No. 65 for the Black and Gold was bereft of all the good ingredients.
From an entertainment standpoint, the night was 60 minutes of soup de bore.

A similar game, more than a quarter-century ago, had Fred Cusick, the club’s great TV play-by-play announcer, bemoaning, “This will never sell.” The game that night didn’t have a fight (standard fare today, but a true rarity then), the score likewise was low, and everyone on the ice, including the 36 skaters and two goalies, made nice and nicer.

In the NHL, congeniality is the smile that kills. For the most part, this was a group hug.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad