Post-Game Talk: GAME #65: Canucks 2 @ Coyotes 5: Brad Richardson with the quad damage

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Regardless of their plans for Marky, Demko obviously needs to play at least somewhat regularly for the rest of the season.

Pettersson and Boeser both need to work on their conditioning over this off season.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'm not saying this is the case, but someone in the organization should figure out if Boeser is just a slower Jordan Eberle before the rest of the league does, and extract value accordingly.

Reactions: MS

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Goldy looked good again last night..Looks like he finally getting it..He's moving his feet, and taking the initiative...and Greens rewarding him with more ice time.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Eberle is the type of player you can't win with.

Slower Jordan Eberle is still our only legit top six winger. :help:

Lol he’s a better sniper than eberle ever was. Laine is an awful player but as long as he keeps scoring all is well. Boeser’s slow skating and lack of intensity will be forgiven if he consistently puts up 35+ each season

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
Edler had a rough night. He’s soooo slow. I’d be weary of offering anything longer than 2 years to be honest.
Oh, for Christs sake. He just came back from an injury. Give him a couple of games to get back to speed. I agree about not offering more than two, but he is probably going to want three.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
I hated the game but I like where we are at in rebuilding. I am really frustrated that there seems to be a problem finding a good match for Petey. For some time now I have been saying that Virtanen would be a good fit with Petey. He has speed, hands, and toughness; he can drive to the net. This would let EP be the brains and Jake be the brawn. I suspect this would get more out of Virtanen without costing EP anything, and possibly improving. Hope Jake is back soon.

Early days, but I think Pearson for Gud was a very good move. We got maximum value for a guy who just wasn't working out.

Sure hope EP can come out of this mini-slump soon.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I think Petey is playing hurt. He doesn't shoot where he normally does and his aim is off, probably because of the same injury.

Player that hf canucks is in love with and is playing poorly: "I think he's playing hurt..."
Player that hf canucks hates no matter what and is not playing great: "He just sucks..."

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
there's a reason why they call the last 20 games of the regular season the playoffs, the NHL's 'second season'. The ice gets smaller; refs put their whistles in their pockets; and puck battles ultimately determine winners from losers.

So it's hardly surprising to me that the young guys like Pettersson and Boeser are struggling. This is the point in the season where you're looking to the vets to step into the breach.

Except that the Canucks don't have any veterans who're capable of 'stepping into anything' unless it's the first tee on the golf course. They're either ineffective, hurt or just mailing it in. Without Markstrom this team wouldn't even have been playing 'meaningful games' in February, much less March.

It's a shame that a 20 year old hockey player has to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders. Sadly, that's just where the Canucks are right now.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Demko should absolutely be starting at least 50% of the remaining games. Season doesn't matter anymore and need to see where he is at.

If he looks ready then shop Markstrom in the offseason.

I'd say it's about 80% Demko is not ready to be this team's starter. Therefore I disagree that we should be shopping Marky.

But absolutely Demko needs to be playing more with the remaining games. From what I see he is trying to implement what Clarke has given him (a literal "laundry list"), but this last game shows that it's not fully ingrained, whereas the Buffalo game shows where he could be.

I think putting him back into the AHL except maybe for playoffs will just let him get away with the same stuff he has before being called up. He needs to adjust to the speed of the NHL game, and the only way he can do that is to get game time.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
there's a reason why they call the last 20 games of the regular season the playoffs, the NHL's 'second season'. The ice gets smaller; refs put their whistles in their pockets; and puck battles ultimately determine winners from losers.

So it's hardly surprising to me that the young guys like Pettersson and Boeser are struggling. This is the point in the season where you're looking to the vets to step into the breach.

Except that the Canucks don't have any veterans who're capable of 'stepping into anything' unless it's the first tee on the golf course. They're either ineffective, hurt or just mailing it in. Without Markstrom this team wouldn't even have been playing 'meaningful games' in February, much less March.

It's a shame that a 20 year old hockey player has to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders. Sadly, that's just where the Canucks are right now.

I wouldn't put Roussel in that category. I agree that we have a team that's mostly "ineffective and hurt", but I didn't see many players mailing it in this year. If anything, I've been impressed with their work ethic this season. They're short on talent, not heart.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I know Boeser looked pretty bad this game, but let's see how he performs next year. He certainly isn't the first player in NHL history to show signs of a sophomore slump (even just look at Keller's numbers). If he can close out this season healthy, it'll at least give him an offseason where he can actually train. I don't think he did a lot of that last offseason.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

And the Sedins didn't want to battle for this team anymore when they very plainly to everyone with eyes was physically able to.

Everyone remember that thread we had about culture a month ago?

TOXIC.

This is the current culture of YOUR Canucks.

These placeholders/mercenaries/NHLPA-retirement-slush-fund-beneficiaries/whatevertheeffyouwannacalltheseefffaces are eating up OUR cap space and they're wasting OUR time. Yours and mine.

Jim Benning doesn't give a crap about the long term success of your Vancouver Canucks.

Anyone with a brain can add and subtract how many futures has been lost and how many futures have been gained since Benning became GM.

FUTURES.

Not Linden Vey. Not Emersen Etem. Not Derek Dorsett. Not Brandon Sutter. Not Loui Eriksson. Not Ryan Miller. Not Sam Gagner. Not Adam Clendening.

No personal offense intended but eff every single trash hockey player Benning has put on this team.

And our 2011 core.

The last group of hockey players that actually cared for this team and this franchise.

Disrespected and discarded like trash.

DRAFT PICKS.

Drafted players who are treated well by their organization eventually see their organization as family. Not the Tanner Pearsons or the Josh Leivos or the Sven Baertschis. Draft picks.

Speaking of draft picks, how about that Jared McCann?

Gone for effing Eric Gudbranson.

Draft picks are the key because just like how you can't pick your family, draft picks don't pick their teams.

At this point of time, I very seriously question the fanhood of anyone that is truly supporting this management team.

I really do.

headshake.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad