Post-Game Talk: GAME #65: Canucks 2 @ Coyotes 5: Brad Richardson with the quad damage

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
11 goals for in goal support basically won him 2 of the 3 games so far.
I remember all the talk was how calm and collected he is in the net, where he controls the bottom of the net and reads the plays well. He’s 2 steps behind on the read and 3 steps behind on the lateral movement. My gawd he’s been awful

Tons of goalies just don’t translate to NHL game. Is what it is. Rather extend Marky until he retires.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I don't get the rush to trade Markstrom, who do you replace him with? Obviously not a true #1 on a long term deal if the plan is Demko long term, so some washed up vet on a cheap 2 year deal? What happens if Demko struggles is you have nothing decent in goal.

If Demko and Markstrom split games and both do well then you can trade Markstrom mid-season to a desperate team trying to save their season. If Demko stinks and Markstrom does well, sign Markstrom. If they both stink, go #1 shopping.

Trade Marky? Lol. Are you nuts. ?

Demko May never be an NHL goalie. You don’t trade Marky

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
None lf the 5 goals I blame on Demko.

He looked fine if unimpressive this game. To my untraines eye. His wild lateral movement from last year is not there anymore.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Goldobin-Pettersson-Boeser

Just put them together Green! EP is not playing great; seems like he prefers playing with players that hold on to the puck to gain the zone, not dump and chase. Let this line weave into the offensive zone with great puck control and nifty passes dissecting the defence. They produce so many scoring chances! Not every line needs to grind and dump’n’chase, let them play their skilled game. Green needs to put his players in the best position to succeed, I don’t think he’s doing that with EP at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyJiveJones

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah Boeser just looks... slugish. He's getting his point this year, but he really isn't passing the eye test. There's a lot of guys that Boeser looked better than last year who I would easily take over him at this point.

He needs to be better.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Green's pressure game requires a team that can play with a ton of energy.....unfortunately not only do they not have the players to play that style of game, particularly with their blueliners, but it looks like this team is running on fumes.

As part of the 'stealth tank' they should split the games between Markstrom and Demko the rest of the way. Let's be brutally honest, without Markstrom this team would be dead and buried by now. As it is, they're now seven points down and looking up at three other teams. They're finished anyway.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Edler had a rough night. He’s soooo slow. I’d be weary of offering anything longer than 2 years to be honest.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Watching replay. Don't like how Demko stays anchored to the post for too long. IMO needs to get to his feet faster. Technically players are in the right area to be post integrated but there's no imminent danger so no need to be on your knees.

Down for no reason again. Edgework much improved but not as good as Buffalo.

First goal, off his angle. Not good, not sure why he was leaning there. The higher up you go the more the shooter changes the release point to fool you.

Same exact goal on Kuemper. But Pearson was closer and got a lot more on his shot.

Second goal...just not good again. If you look at Marky what he's been doing so well is letting his head dictate the movement of his body. Right here Demko is guessing. He gives up his angle to square himself in the middle...except that is the wrong play because it doesn't match what the puck is doing. Had he tracked better here, this goal has no chance of going in. Really no reason to center yourself here unless you have no idea where the puck is. This was an issue last season especially but before this point watching his head movement I thought it wouldn't be a problem tonight.

Weird play where he can't cover. I wish they got a couple more shots, that would be better to settle Demko down.

2nd period...

Nice save through traffic, then gets a little lucky. Probably down a little early on this one as well, there's a high man who might deflect it.

Couple nice saves, but he needs to get rid of that thing he does where he hits his blocker into his trapper. He shouldn't be doing that while the play is in the zone, in an earlier sequence I thought I saw him start to do it, then a shot came in off the rebound and almost caught him. Personally I do the same thing but just once as the opposing team crosses the red line.

Third goal...this is the "stiff legs" I was talking about in the past. Also this is another failure to read the play. The puck carrier can't shoot since he has bobbled the puck, has a man on him, and is practically on the goal line, but Demko is already committed to a block. This was an issue last season and in the preseason. When he does react, I know this is a desperation move but because he is already down, he can't push with his left leg to get him where he needs to be to his right.

Fourth goal...interesting to see Demko's head trajectory. Again, I think the late set is killing him here. Basically he stands up, then crouches, then does it over again. Just before the pass across notice that his head comes up momentarily because he's so used to standing up. That puts a delay in his push, which is mediocre. The shot is good, no doubt, but also notice that as his head leads, it's not really focused on the puck. He actually does a great job of pushing towards the post, but he is not seeing the puck because his head is pre-turned and by the time he gets there the puck is by him. Very likely that he doesn't even see the release which is paramount, this is a great example of going through the motions of head trajectory but not actually "seeing the puck". The late set thing just bugs me, there's just no need on the PK for him to stand all the way up when there isn't a screen. The reason you butterfly from a crouch is that ideally your shoulders stay in the same place and you slam your knees towards the ice. This produces the least amount of body movement and it's easier to be consistent AND to track the puck. If your shoulders are moving up and down, then you have to compensate for that movement with your head and eyes, which is much more difficult.

Just before the end of the period, Demko again very lucky since he is late coming across. I think this is play reading again. It's a 2-on-1, there is no need for a guy Demko's size to have this much ice. He looks across well but his hands don't follow his head, and again you see the "stiff-legs". Which I think now is that he opts to do the splits over sealing the far side ice and getting a good push. Because of this you see him lunging forward Luongo-style.

3rd period...

Some routine saves on the PK, good job by the PKers.

5th goal...Well, I don't know why Edler just doesn't follow Biega's instructions, who is telling him to cover the other man. Demko plays this much better with a more conservative depth since it is an odd-man rush. He turns his head well, but then he doesn't get any rotation at all. It is generally a mistake to try to push directly towards the player who is shooting. Had he gotten the proper rotation which would also let him look at the puck, and pushed towards the post instead towards the release point, he makes this stop easily. If you freeze-frame here you see a recurring issue with Demko - his head is looking at the puck but his body has not snapped around to follow it. I've seen him get away this split save at the AHL level but here the puck is put into a place where he simply has no chance if he uses this save selection. The real issue is he gets a good load on his left leg but ideally there would be a small c-cut to rotate him. Without that he is basically forced to push straight across.

Nice blocker save off a shot from the slot.

Well I would say that this was a typical development game for Demko. He has to play a bit more, what I see happening is that in pressure situations he is reverting back to old behaviour. Not a good game by any means but not surprising considering this point in Demko's development.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Don't mistake me for a second that I think Aquaman is a meddling owner that has made a number of bad decisions. That said, I don't necessarily buy the "playoff revenue" argument with him. If there is one thing he has shown he is more than willing to do, it's spend. I honestly think it's an ego thing for him. He wants team success and is unwilling to wait for it. If he would just get someone in there that was smart.....and let them have a run for two or three years uninterrupted....

One big fear I do have is that Benning gets turfed and Weisbrod weasels his way in as the GM.

While on the topic of Weisbrod, how much do you all want to bet the big offer that Calgary made for Edler that blew the Canucks away was for Jankowski. Weisbrod probably went to Benning and told him that was a deal they had to make, obsessed as he is with Mark J.

They said on the radio that apparently it was Kylington and a late pick

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
Hate to say it but this is probably the least I've noticed Pettersson in the games ive seen this season.
I think Petey is playing hurt. He doesn't shoot where he normally does and his aim is off, probably because of the same injury.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Pretty much as I expected but what do you expect when the team plays a long, intense, heartbreaking game a mile in the clouds the night before and then throws in their green goalie who is playing his first game in 2 months? Sure they looked slow, of course Demko struggled, naturally guys like Boeser and Horvat were minus players, to expect anything else would be unrealistic. I'm not even mad at Green et al although it sure would be nice if we could score a PP goal once in awhile and it would also be nice if Rousell stopped getting borderline "reputation" penalties. The new guys all looked OK to me which is encouraging but this was one of those games that you simply have to put up with schedule wise since it is impossible to move the city of Vancouver to a more convenient location. With the playoffs now a total pipe dream it remains to be seen if Demko starts to get some more regular work or if he gets the "Nilsson" treatment. He was rusty and the rest of the team was gassed so it now remains to be seen what happens in the NEXT game this team plays with some rest and maybe a day off or a chance to sleep in a bit. More than anything this game was a symptom of the greedy owners demanding that the league conform to an 82 game schedule that has to be compressed into an unrealistic timeframe. I'm not really mad at anyone...

Reactions: Jimnastic

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Demko should absolutely be starting at least 50% of the remaining games. Season doesn't matter anymore and need to see where he is at.

If he looks ready then shop Markstrom in the offseason.

Yeah, not going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad