Post-Game Talk: GAME #65: Canucks 1 @ Kings 5 | March 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
We're tied with Columbus and Arizona for 5th last, with a game in hand, at 62 points. Calgary (1 gp more) and Winnipeg (tied) are next at 59. Edmonton has 59 points in 68 games, and the big dogs, Toronto, are 53 points in 65 games.

If we were just being out played, I'd get it that we are tanking, but everytime I start to embrace the tank, it seems coaching, management and the players are all still trying to win, but are all just incredibly inept.

If we were bad and owning it, I'd be fine with it. If we were trying to push for a play off spot and were utilizing our talents properly, I'd be ecstatic. But it seems like we're trying to win, and are fighting ourselves.

This is frustrating to watch hockey, because you can see the plays develop, you can see what the players are trying, but that there is just some X factor that is stopping the team from succeeding in either direction.

This is going to be a long 17 games, and I can't bring myself to pin my hopes to any other team.

Thus, both sets of Canucks' fans should be satisfied. The tankers because the team is losing and the don't tank group because they are not losing on purpose. This is what an ailing team looks like, the team keeps working hard and doing its best, but its best is not good enough to actually win. Therefore the draft lottery is in reach, but no one can cry foul.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Thus, both sets of Canucks' fans should be satisfied. The tankers because the team is losing and the don't tank group because they are not losing on purpose. This is what an ailing team looks like, the team keeps working hard and doing its best, but its best is not good enough to actually win. Therefore the draft lottery is in reach, but no one can cry foul.

Pretty much this. Problem is people take the term 'tanking' too literally and presume it means 'losing on purpose' every time it gets used. Most teams that lose aren't losing on purpose, they are just ... bad. In a dichotomous win-lose league, there will always be 'bad' teams. Doesn't mean they want to be bad, or lose on purpose, or the players have given up. I mean if they faced your Saturday beer league team they'd still shred them 94-0 but at this level they are just a notch below the best and average teams.

We are now one of those teams. Nothing more, nothing less.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Pretty much this. Problem is people take the term 'tanking' too literally and presume it means 'losing on purpose' every time it gets used. Most teams that lose aren't losing on purpose, they are just ... bad. In a dichotomous win-lose league, there will always be 'bad' teams. Doesn't mean they want to be bad, or lose on purpose, or the players have given up. I mean if they faced your Saturday beer league team they'd still shred them 94-0 but at this level they are just a notch below the best and average teams.

We are now one of those teams. Nothing more, nothing less.

You took my explanation to the simplest degree. You explain that perfectly for those who might still have a problem with the Canucks "tanking".

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hung in there decently for awhile, then outclassed.

Positives :

- Vey actually is playing well. He's still not a good player, but he's doing a lot of cute things to create space and get pucks to his linemates in good positions.

- Virtanen and Baertschi didn't have their best games, but continue to show reasons for optimism.

- Hamhuis was terrific and Weber had his best game of the year. That pairing was very good. Looked like the Weber we saw at the end of last year.

- Gaunce doesn't look out of place at all and had some good moments.

- Hutton still looks good, even when saddled with Sbisa.

- credit to Dorsett for going after McNabb who was taking way too many runs at people.

- Burrows was excellent. Games like this show he still has plenty left in the tank and can skill skate very well at this level.

Negatives :

- Miller looked good in the first, awful the rest of the way. Absolutely ridiculous he keeps playing so much when Markstrom is playing so well.

- Sbisa is just terrible. Out of position on each of the first 3 GA. Just an atrocious player.

- Granlund largely invisible again. Can tell he's smart and usually in the right places but just is so small and ineffectual.

- Horvat needs to get his head in the game. He's playing like a creampuff Russian dangler right now. Skating well but doing nothing but trying fancy 1-on-1 moves than doing huge circles in the offensive zone when it doesn't work. Not showing the grit and character we know he has.

- Vrbata was awful. Yeah, first game back, but he stunk.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Just finally caught some of the highlights. I guess this wasn't one of Sbisa's "improvement" games :laugh: God what a terrible, terrible hockey player. Bartowski too. Empty net, let's pass it directly to a King in our own zone.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Holy **** Ryan Miller is terrible. Like literally the worst goalie (backup and main included) the Canucks had the last 10 years. What a **** decision in signing him when we traded Luongo. He doesn't get enough criticism.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Holy **** Ryan Miller is terrible. Like literally the worst goalie (backup and main included) the Canucks had the last 10 years. What a **** decision in signing him when we traded Luongo. He doesn't get enough criticism.

Not worse than trading away TWO ELITE goalies (like Gilligan did); course, that's one of the reasons why he ain't the GM anymore. Not sure about the positives that Jethro Bodine is providing other than a good high pick this draft (course that's not really a compliment).

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Soo... what can we reasonably expect for next year?

Sedin - Sedin - FA
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Burrows - Sutter - Hansen
Some kind 4th line mashup of Gaunce, Vey, Dorsett, Etem, Granlund, crappy FA grinder Benning will "target"

Tanev - Edler
Hamhuis - Hutton
Sbsia - Tryamkin
Biega / Pedan / Larsen

Miller
Marky

Should be good for a lottery pick in 2017 as well.

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
My three favourite plays from that game (courtesy of the Provies):

Oh Sbisa..
sbisa.gif

That's a paddling
sbisagoal.gif

Trying to usurp Sbisa's awfulness
bang-bang.gif

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Bart has not improved one bit this season.

One step forward, two steps back, three steps forward, one step back...

He has NHL level skills but lacks an NHL brain. Sort of like our management.

What exactly is Bart trying to accomplish with that pass through two Kings players into the middle of the ice with an empty net?

He sees a target and then executes regardless of what else is going on in the environment. Sort of like how our management targets individual players and then executes regardless of how much value we have to give up.

I hope he enjoys his 1.75M as I highly doubt he will ever get another NHL job again. IE. If you can't make it on Jimbo's Canucks, then yer SOL.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Bart has not improved one bit this season.

One step forward, two steps back, three steps forward, one step back...

He has NHL level skills but lacks an NHL brain. Sort of like our management.

What exactly is Bart trying to accomplish with that pass through two Kings players into the middle of the ice with an empty net?

He sees a target and then executes regardless of what else is going on in the environment. Sort of like how our management targets individual players and then executes regardless of how much value we have to give up.

I hope he enjoys his 1.75M as I highly doubt he will ever get another NHL job again. IE. If you can't make it on Jimbo's Canucks, then yer SOL.

Think back to how bad Sbisa was in the regular season and then into the playoffs... and this management group gave him a new contract with a raise.

I'm scared to death they'll do anything similar with Bartkowski.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Think back to how bad Sbisa was in the regular season and then into the playoffs... and this management group gave him a new contract with a raise.

I'm scared to death they'll do anything similar with Bartkowski.
Hopefully Benning is too in love with his new guys (Larsen, Tryamkin and Pedan) and forgets about him. But hey you never know he might let Hamhuis walk to keep the guy.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
- credit to Dorsett for going after McNabb who was taking way too many runs at people.

Indeed. I hate Dorsett's fights more than just about anyone else because he just wastes everyone's time fighting scrubs and worse AHL callups who want to impress their boss rather than guys that need to be fight. That fight was good fight, fighting a decent player, fighting someone taking runs.

GJ Dorsett.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Indeed. I hate Dorsett's fights more than just about anyone else because he just wastes everyone's time fighting scrubs and worse AHL callups who want to impress their boss rather than guys that need to be fight. That fight was good fight, fighting a decent player, fighting someone taking runs.

GJ Dorsett.

Yup, feel exactly the same way.

I don't like Dorsett as a player and most of his fights are pointless garbage. That one meant something and was worthwhile.

I'd rather he had 5 fights like that in a season than 20 pointless ones against scrubs for no reason.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Hung in there decently for awhile, then outclassed.

Positives :

- Vey actually is playing well. He's still not a good player, but he's doing a lot of cute things to create space and get pucks to his linemates in good positions.

- Virtanen and Baertschi didn't have their best games, but continue to show reasons for optimism.

- Hamhuis was terrific and Weber had his best game of the year. That pairing was very good. Looked like the Weber we saw at the end of last year.

- Gaunce doesn't look out of place at all and had some good moments.

- Hutton still looks good, even when saddled with Sbisa.

- Burrows was excellent. Games like this show he still has plenty left in the tank and can skill skate very well at this level.

Negatives :

- Miller looked good in the first, awful the rest of the way. Absolutely ridiculous he keeps playing so much when Markstrom is playing so well.

- Sbisa is just terrible. Out of position on each of the first 3 GA. Just an atrocious player.

- Granlund largely invisible again. Can tell he's smart and usually in the right places but just is so small and ineffectual.

- Horvat needs to get his head in the game. He's playing like a creampuff Russian dangler right now. Skating well but doing nothing but trying fancy 1-on-1 moves than doing huge circles in the offensive zone when it doesn't work. Not showing the grit and character we know he has.

- Vrbata was awful. Yeah, first game back, but he stunk.

Good assessment

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver

Don't be too harsh on the management team, they gave him the extension way before the playoffs

:)

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
Soo... what can we reasonably expect for next year?

Sedin - Sedin - FA
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Burrows - Sutter - Hansen
Some kind 4th line mashup of Gaunce, Vey, Dorsett, Etem, Granlund, crappy FA grinder Benning will "target"

Tanev - Edler
Hamhuis - Hutton
Sbsia - Tryamkin
Biega / Pedan / Larsen

Miller
Marky

Should be good for a lottery pick in 2017 as well.

I actually did this today, with current ages in brackets:

Sedin (35) - Sedin (35) - FA (Eriksson)
Baertschi (23) - Sutter (27) - Virtanen (19)
Hansen (29) - Horvat (20) - Rodin (25)
Etem (23) - Granlund (22) - Dorsett (29)/Gaunce (21)

Edler (29) - Tanev (26)
Hutton (22) - Sbisa (26)
Pedan (22) - Tryamkin (21)
Larsen (26)

Markstrom (26)
Miller (35)

I suck at what sides our D play, if the pairings have guys on the wrong side, but I think those are the 7 + Biega as the 8.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Are there three worse contracts relative to performance in the entire NHL than Sibsa, Dorsett and Miller?...I suppose there could be...but just think of it....$12 million in cap space for this year and beyond...mind-boggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad