GDT: Game 64: Avs vs Canucks | 7:30 PM MT | February 27, 2019

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Rantanen could hold out, it would not surprise me. On the other hand, it is difficult to see any upside for the Avs with its fan base if it goes this route.

As noted, I am not sure how the Canucks PBP person would have any inside knowledge about what will happen in the future in this regard. It seems very random.

Reactions: 5280

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Was anyone watching the Canucks broadcast last night? Seemed like their PBP guy was making up things. He mentioned that "word is Rantanen is going to have a long holdout like William Nylander". Not sure how he or anyone else can be saying something like that at this point.

How would he know that? I'm pretty sure there haven't been any contract talks during this season.

I've heard that Rantanen is likely to actually take a discount instead of holding out for every cent he can get.

A hold out means that both parties can't come to an agreement, and he's right, they haven't, but it's because they haven't started negotiating yet lol

The only thing I see Rantanens agent pushing for, is a 5 year contract, which is entirely possible.

I think if Sakic says "Hey do you want to play beside Nathan MacKinnon for the rest of your career?", there's a good chance Rantanen will be perfectly happy with they situation.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
We won in OT/SO... I repeat, WE WON in OT/SO..... I didn´t think to experience that again. :D

Although this game should´ve never went into OT....

Oh, and I hope Barrie pays homage to his captain for saving his ass before the PP-Goal from Rants....
Sadly, actually no. We won in a SO which we already did earlier in the season. Still, Avs haven't won in an overtime 3v3 sequence for 14 to 16 straight times.

Yes, John Garrett is a complete idiot.
He's Doug McLean's long lost brother.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Sadly, actually no. We won in a SO which we already did earlier in the season. Still, Avs haven't won in an overtime 3v3 sequence for 14 to 16 straight times.

He's Doug McLean's long lost brother.

Actually that was our first SO win this year, only the 2nd time we’ve gone to the SO and lost the first one.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yes, John Garrett is a complete idiot.

Went on for about 3 minutes how word is Rantanen will be a long one, well into next season, etc. What a complete clown.

For the better part of 20 years, he has made up crap about the Avs and just attacked us at every chance. Bitter, washed up, old 'tender.
Legit when he said that I looked every on the internet to see if anyones even reported something like that with his negotiations. I get it could get interesting with dollar amounts but I really don't see it being a Nylander situation and if it becomes that I will lose all faith in Joe Sakic especially if he low balls Mikko with a Mackinnon internal cap or whatever the f***.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Rantanen could hold out, it would not surprise me. On the other hand, it is difficult to see any upside for the Avs with its fan base if it goes this route.

As noted, I am not sure how the Canucks PBP person would have any inside knowledge about what will happen in the future in this regard. It seems very random.
Ill be shocked if Mikko does to be honest UNLESS Joe really lowballs him. This regime cannot do what they did to ROR with Mikko.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Been sick this whole week so finally getting caught up.

I really liked the team's overall effort both offensively and defensively. I thought at times they got a bit overly fancy but for the most part were generating offense in-close and not relying on perimeter offense like they were during the swoon. I thought for the most part they played well, Markstrom was good, otherwise it would've been a rout. About the only Avs player I thought was outright terrible was Tyson Barrie for reasons I can't quite comprehend. I always thought he played relatively well against the Canucks.

The Avs also did a largely remarkable job keeping the Canucks' Big Two at bay, while neither of them were invisible they also weren't given a ton of room to operate, which wasn't the case in past matchups.

One thing that drives me absolutely nuts though is the fact that OT may not have even been necessary. If you finally have a guy who is good at faceoffs in Derick Brassard, why in hell would you have Carl Soderberg, who, career year or not, is still patently awful in the dot, take a key defensive zone draw with mere minutes remaining!? And Brassard was ON THE ICE to boot!!!! Sure enough, he loses the draw, Leivo gets the setup, and off to OT they go. I simply don't understand why Bednar didn't just have Brassard take the draw and then move to wing, he does this all the damned time with Landeskog, why would you not do it in this case!? Not trying to rag on Soderberg who played yet another impressive game, but faceoffs ain't his thang.

Oh well, they somehow managed to get two points instead of one in OT/SO. That's something.

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018

I really liked the team's overall effort both offensively and defensively. I thought at times they got a bit overly fancy but for the most part were generating offense in-close and not relying on perimeter offense like they were during the swoon. I thought for the most part they played well, Markstrom was good, otherwise it would've been a rout. About the only Avs player I thought was outright terrible was Tyson Barrie for reasons I can't quite comprehend. I always thought he played relatively well against the Canucks.

The Avs also did a largely remarkable job keeping the Canucks' Big Two at bay, while neither of them were invisible they also weren't given a ton of room to operate, which wasn't the case in past matchups.

One thing that drives me absolutely nuts though is the fact that OT may not have even been necessary. If you finally have a guy who is good at faceoffs in Derick Brassard, why in hell would you have Carl Soderberg, who, career year or not, is still patently awful in the dot, take a key defensive zone draw with mere minutes remaining!? And Brassard was ON THE ICE to boot!!!! Sure enough, he loses the draw, Leivo gets the setup, and off to OT they go. I simply don't understand why Bednar didn't just have Brassard take the draw and then move to wing, he does this all the damned time with Landeskog, why would you not do it in this case!? Not trying to rag on Soderberg who played yet another impressive game, but faceoffs ain't his thang.

Oh well, they somehow managed to get two points instead of one in OT/SO. That's something.

Agreed. I was getting flash backs of EP's 5 pt game every time he touched the puck on their PP, but overall he wasn't as noticeable as he has been in past games. He had one or two "wow" plays where he made some really nice dangle, but other than that he was pretty quiet (Kerfoot also broke his ankles in one play)

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Agreed. I was getting flash backs of EP's 5 pt game every time he touched the puck on their PP, but overall he wasn't as noticeable as he has been in past games. He had one or two "wow" plays where he made some really nice dangle, but other than that he was pretty quiet (Kerfoot also broke his ankles in one play)

yeah that toe drag late in the 3rd was cleeeeean

Reactions: Mr Zappalanche

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

I agree with you on the Carl thing but to go deeper there had Varly moved the puck instead of covering it there who knows if that goal even happens. He had ample amount of time to move it but did his usual freeze the puck and not try to move it thing. I swear him doing that costs us 5-6 goals a season. If you as a goalie know your team struggles in defensive zone draws wouldn't you want to move the puck more? I know hes not great at it but really on that play he could have moved it to the defender on the right not sure who that was but if I recall he did have some time.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If Avs can actually start winning OT or SO games, they'll be in much better shape

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
Legit when he said that I looked every on the internet to see if anyones even reported something like that with his negotiations. I get it could get interesting with dollar amounts but I really don't see it being a Nylander situation and if it becomes that I will lose all faith in Joe Sakic especially if he low balls Mikko with a Mackinnon internal cap or whatever the ****.
It was obvious BS it's been known a long time Mikko doesn't wanna talk until after the season since Sakic addressed the media about it in October. Since then we have heard nothing about it in typical Avs style. This is a guy bombing Landy and Mack with sms at night about how to play in PP I can't imagine him wanting to miss any hockey about money issues he will get paid which he deserves.

Mikko Rantanen contract discussions on hold; Avalanche is confident he will be resigned
Avs' Mikko Rantanen: 'I'm happy in Colorado. I want to be...

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I agree with you on the Carl thing but to go deeper there had Varly moved the puck instead of covering it there who knows if that goal even happens. He had ample amount of time to move it but did his usual freeze the puck and not try to move it thing. I swear him doing that costs us 5-6 goals a season. If you as a goalie know your team struggles in defensive zone draws wouldn't you want to move the puck more? I know hes not great at it but really on that play he could have moved it to the defender on the right not sure who that was but if I recall he did have some time.

YES, omg I was screaming at the TV when he did that. The funny part if I remember correctly EJ was totally expecting him to freeze it too.

So.... Last night McNab and Moser told me we'd be in the first wild card spot? Wtf?

Last edited:
Reactions: The Kingslayer

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I'm not a goalie but I think goalies use whistles as a mental reset or to relax nerves.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hot Carrrrrrlll!

Soda with another dominant game in all three zones. And literally all three, not just in a cliche sense. He was making great plays in the neutral zone all night. Comes up with the game winner in the SO. The guy just cannot be denied right now.

Only way to win past regulation is to go to a SO where Varly is dominant almost every time. Interesting the Canucks went five hole on him four times. Not sure that was a good idea. They should have seen after the first Pettersson attempt, he had the five hole locked down.

Nemeth has had a few really good rebound games, and was playing strong again in this one, but he has got to block that shot on the GTG. He can’t just stand there and be the perfect screen, letting the puck go through his legs. Nice set play by Vancouver off the faceoff, but Leivo is his man there. He has got to react quicker and sell out to block that shot.

Wilson and Calvert have missed so many open nets this year it’s insane. Every game seemingly one of them misses a glorious scoring chance they should have put in the net. So incredibly frustrating to watch happen over and over again.

Jost continues to look really good and show nice chemistry with Landy. Skating pretty well out there….at center. Making really good defensive plays, finds himself in really good scoring chances, stealing pucks, and seemingly always makes the right play with the puck. Takes that extra split second to settle the puck so it lands flat and in stride for the recipient too. Something many of the middle six guys on the team struggle with.

Beautiful goal by Mikko in the SO. He sold everyone on that move. Amazing that it feels like he still has some untapped potential. Can't wait to see him in the playoffs one day, I think he may take his game to another level there.

I feel like something happened to Landy around the trade deadline. That’s two games in a row where he’s been in a real sour mood. Last game I noticed it but just thought it was an anomaly. This game he was all kinds of angry, and right from the puck drop. Haven’t seen him like that in over a year. Hopefully it’s just a change in mentality with the playoff push after the deadline, and nothing personal.

Really irritating that the Avs let the Nucks pick up a point, but at least they closed it out with two of their own. They control their own destiny. If they keep winning they’ll make it.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I dunno...we know Varly does not like to handle the puck, so he freezes the puck more often than not, and there have been times when he's opted not to do so when bad things happen. So I'm not gonna blame him at all on that one. Bednar had a perfectly viable option there, he chose not to use it. That's just stupid.

On a side note, I guess, if nothing else, Jussi Parkkila's scouting of Jacob Markstrom ended up being far better than whichever yahoo in Vancouver's organization was when scouting Varly.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Not that I think Soderberg is a good faceoff guy, because he's below 50%, but I believe his faceoff percentage this season is actually better than Brassard's.

Statistically, the right guy took that faceoff.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
If Avs can actually start winning OT or SO games, they'll be in much better shape
*if the Avs could build a time machine, and win some of those OT games, they would be in much better shape.

Fixed that for you lol

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Bernier did it too last year, so I feel like it's a coaching decision, either by Bednar or Parkila. My guess is they're told to freeze it every chance they get, it happens too often to be a coincidence.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Bernier did it too last year, so I feel like it's a coaching decision, either by Bednar or Parkila. My guess is they're told to freeze it every chance they get, it happens too often to be a coincidence.
If Spencer Knight starts doing it then I will agree for sure. I just think Varly knows he sucks at handling the puck so he wont if he feels he doesn't need to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad