GDT: Game 63: Panthers @ Avalanche 2/25 7:00pm Mountain / 3:00am Europe | FIVEALANCHE!

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If Avs could win at least half of all this OT's they lose, they'd be battling for 3rd place in central, not battling to get into the playoffs

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Avs situational awareness sucks big time. In the face off leading to the gwg the three Avs were lined up near the boards and Hoffman had free lane to shoot out of the cannon middle of the ice. Trochek won the face off because he didn't try to win it for D but slapped the puck forward to Hoffman.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Not sure if there there is anybody who played poorly, but man oh man you can't let a team as bad as the Panthers are come back into the game so many freakin' times. Jeez that was frustrating.

Varly didn't play too bad, but every single goal he got a piece of and it went in the net. That and two 5-hole goals is completely unacceptable in a game.

We are not bad our Goaltending is bad just some information.

We have won like five out of our last 6 or something like that.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
The games against the Panthers are always kind of strange, we only had three lines to roll and half of our defense seemed to have an off-day. Varly had a rather average game as well. So I'm fine with the point. I liked Brassard and I liked how quickly he adjusted. I outright hated Dries, Ghetto and Bourque. Both Greer and Agozzino should be recalled asap imo. Stop this Dries and Bourque nonsense, please.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
In Sweden sometimes we blame the team for losses, this was a typical team loss for me. We should have won this in regulation. Having said this it wouldn't surprise me if Grubauer getting the next start... ;-)

Not a bad game, felt we were a little bit unlucky, slightly missing some really high qualify chances but also Florida had some stretches playing really good hockey, they have been good lately, not to forget good goalkeeping.

Brassard was good. :) Also realized how much I like Girard!

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkT

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
Bednar strikes again, we are winning the games and he decide to completely change the fourth line that was actually producing. And Grubauer had a fricking shutout, give him another game.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
In Sweden sometimes we blame the team for losses, this was a typical team loss for me. Having said this it wouldn't surprise me if Grubauer getting the next start... ;-)

Not a bad game, felt we were a little bit unlucky, slightly missing some really high qualify chances but also Florida had some stretches playing really good hockey, they have been good lately, not to forget good goalkeeping.
I think he needs to get the next start. Not because Varly was so bad but because it's a chance to build on the good performance he had against Nashville. I don't like him at all but he's signed for two more years, so he needs to play and somehow become a good goalie.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I think he needs to get the next start. Not because Varly was so bad but because it's a chance to build on the good performance he had against Nashville. I don't like him at all but he's signed for two more years, so he needs to play and somehow become a good goalie.

You are German thus you have to like him, somebody has to like him. ;-) Actually if going back about 250-300 years I also have some German blood, from Bremen which actually belonged to Sweden before our King failed to conquer Russia. ;-)

(Yes, I love history and nobody cares)

Grubauer for the win, he will need all the support he can get.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Zappalanche

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
How did Barrie get an assist on Brassard’s goal. With how he has been passing lately, he barely deserves an assist on the Rantanen goal. Seriously, for an “elite top-5 offensive defenceman” you would think he could start a break out. Instead he either flips it sky high into the neutral zone or shoots it in from the red line. Every time. Him and Johnson have gone backwards in regards to breaking out of the zone.

Incredibly frustrating that the Avs don’t really have one defenceman you can consistently trust to make a nice breakout pass.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Bleh. I just watched it and I don't feel like talking about. I think that was a trap game as the Avs built up their confidence and probably thought they'd just dominate the Panthers. They just didn't have it tonight and were frankly lucky to get a point. The only line really going with the MacKinnon line and the only defensemen that had it going were Girard and Graves. Kerfoot looked surprisingly good though. I guess that's a plus.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Bleh. I just watched it and I don't feel like talking about. I think that was a trap game as the Avs built up their confidence and probably thought they'd just dominate the Panthers. They just didn't have it tonight and were frankly lucky to get a point. The only line really going with the MacKinnon line and the only defensemen that had it going were Girard and Graves. Kerfoot looked surprisingly good though. I guess that's a plus.

I dunno, I thought the Brassard-Jost-Calvert line played pretty well for a line that was just thrown together. They put up 2 goals and could have easily scored a 3rd had Jost not missed the empty net when he was hit by the Panthers D-man.

The Yandel to Hoffman cross-ice goal should never have happened....that was just terrible defending. That was a collective effort of crap on that play from Barrie to Andrighetto to Soderberg - just gotta be more aware out there in a 3-2 game.

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
It's easy, we lose in OT because we don't value possession on 3 vs 3. We don't mind shooting from far away on poor % shots. Then the other team takes the puck, makes a high % play and scores. All the ****ing time.

It wasn't a terrible shot selection he was flying down the wing and ripped it from the top of the circle... Landeskog had a step on his man barreling down the wing... shot placement should have been better. Just because Rants got one past Lu's glove doesn't mean Girard was going to. A low far side slapper and Luongo kicks out a rebound right to a charging Landeskog.

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
Aggozino and Greer get recalled when?? I understand the paper transaction so that they are available for the AHL playoffs but they need to be anchoring our 4th line. I never want to see Bourque on the ice for this team again.

Reactions: klozge
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Aggozino and Greer get recalled when?? I understand the paper transaction so that they are available for the AHL playoffs but they need to be anchoring our 4th line. I never want to see Bourque on the ice for this team again.

I'm not convinced the only reason they got playing time was to showcase them. I expect us to go back to useless, zero upside grinders.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I believe you only get 4 post-deadline call ups so we probably won’t see them for a while

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
3 minutes to go in the 2nd and up 2-0, you shut things down and take that lead into the 3rd.
Yep this was where the game was lost. A weak goal where I think Kerfoot screens Varly just enough. A meh penalty 5 seconds later, Nemeth losses his guy easy tap in.

When you are up 2-0 with less than 3 to go in the 2nd at very worst you have to go in 2-1. Take the lead to the 3rd period. We failed and that's what gave them life.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
3 minutes to go in the 2nd and up 2-0, you shut things down and take that lead into the 3rd.
Our PK was so bad in that situation. Nemeth got played and completely fell for it. I'm not sure what he could have done instead, though. Our system just doesn't work well against some strategies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad