GDT: Game 63 | Kings @ Golden Knights | 7:30 | Gentleman's Sweep Edition

Was this GDT created too late?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I’m concerned that he won’t be seeing the press box Turk is saying all the wrong things about Reaves. And the SinBin guys are concerned Turk won’t want to scratch him
Maybe he’ll see 3-4 minutes a game until he can trusted, though. Be that pit bull chained up at the end of the bench, waiting for the other team to take liberties.
It’s funny we’re taking about Reaves - Edmonton has always had a fighter that gets a big paycheque, then goes soft and won’t fight or hurt anyone. At least Reaves is revved up. I’d like to see that from Kassian way more often.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I was more concerned about the quote than who reported it.

Yeah I know. I just wanted to put it out there that he isn't a good guy to follow when it comes to his opinion. If he's just quoting someone then thats ok. It's just reporting.

I think 99% of the fan base trusts GMGM and so far it seems that he has done very well, but he really should have spent his time upgrading 3C and a top 2 or even top 4 dman instead of chasing down the prom queen that is EK65.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Maybe he’ll see 3-4 minutes a game until he can trusted, though. Be that pit bull chained up at the end of the bench, waiting for the other team to take liberties.
It’s funny we’re taking about Reaves - Edmonton has always had a fighter that gets a big paycheque, then goes soft and won’t fight or hurt anyone. At least Reaves is revved up. I’d like to see that from Kassian way more often.
3-4 minutes really takes that spot away from someone who can and wants to actually play hockey

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
It's been two games and there's guys on the mend. If he wanted to scratch him now, he couldn't.

Just breathe, everything will be okay. I'm sure.
Sure we could and replace him with a cardboard cut out of Reaves. Less negative impact that way.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
If you rewatch the game, he actually played pretty good hockey last night outside of the stupidity. Don't let the goonery completely eliminate that.

I'd rather he was upstairs, but he can't really live upstairs until Carrier and Bellemare return.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah I know. I just wanted to put it out there that he isn't a good guy to follow when it comes to his opinion. If he's just quoting someone then thats ok. It's just reporting.

I think 99% of the fan base trusts GMGM and so far it seems that he has done very well, but he really should have spent his time upgrading 3C and a top 2 or even top 4 dman instead of chasing down the prom queen that is EK65.

I don't think that's the case at all. I'd say probably a majority do, largely due to how the team he assembled has performed, but 99% seems an overstatement.

I also would've liked to have seen McPhee focus more on a 3C, but I also am not in the room to know what other teams are wanting. Maybe he couldn't find any reasonable deals? I will be patient with GMGM and see how this shakes out over a few seasons. If we don't win a playoff series by 3 seasons, I'd say there is cause for concern. Right now, we are still much further than we planned on being, so I think he has built some good will and patience.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It's not just his play, it was how he was used. He got an offensive zone start and seemed to get 5 minutes TOI in the 3rd. Gallant must have liked how he crushed Kopitar and drove Martinez nuts but he forgot we were trailing 3-1. Tatar got less than 10 minutes even strength ice time and so did Nosek, so if you're gonna give someone the chance to play hero, better them than a goon.

The refs should have done everyone a favor and given Reaves a 10 minute misconduct before it got of hand.

Reactions: hangman005

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
For the record, I'm fairly certain the Reaves quote was in reference to the penalties versus the game itself.

The boarding call doesn't get called 95% of the time in the exact same situation, that was a pretty crappy call.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
For the record, I'm fairly certain the Reaves quote was in reference to the penalties versus the game itself.

The boarding call doesn't get called 95% of the time in the exact same situation, that was a pretty crappy call.

41.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently or dangerously. -NHL Rule Book

That's boarding every time for a guy that flew into the boards that hard. Reaves' size and reputation does him no favors either. They showed it on the jumbotron and people were oohing and aahing over it. I guess they never saw a hit like that before. He absolutely murdered that guy.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
41.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently or dangerously. -NHL Rule Book

That's boarding every time for a guy that flew into the boards that hard. Reaves' size and reputation does him no favors either. They showed it on the jumbotron and people were oohing and aahing over it. I guess they never saw a hit like that before. He absolutely murdered that guy.

You've watched hockey for a while, without Ryan Reaves making that hit in that situation last night, does it ever get called as boarding? Even if we go with the "street level" rule definitions of boarding, he didn't hit the numbers, which is usually the standard there. It was a crap call.

There's a lot of room for the official's judgement in boarding calls, so it's right as soon as the ref raises his arm, but that's not a boarding call the majority of the time.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

No, gotta agree with BB here. That was a shoulder-on-shoulder hit on a guy with possession of the puck, and Forbort didn't go into the boards dangerously. That's not boarding. That definitely IS a reputation call.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
As a Kings fan, the past 2 games were the first full VGK games I've watched all year. I was really impressed with your team speed, skating and passing. All 4 lines look dangerous.

And I miss Colin Miller and McNab. Glad they got a full time gig with you guys.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Pirate,

Arguing against Reeves on the team is one thing. Arguing that call last night is going overboard. Your hatred for the trade, McPhee, & the player is blinding you. That call was straight up garbage.

Did it affect the outcome...probably not. Did Reeves start to lose it...totally. Regardless, we still don't win last night. Monday's game is when his bonehead penalty affected the outcome.

Either way, the season is not lost. We're in a great position. The goal should be to secure the #1 seed in the West. We can only hope that once we get healthy, Gallant plays the players who fit in best with the system. If he keeps trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, the results will not be positive.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Reaves doesn't have to go 100% on every hit. If he lays a solid, regular hit then it's not boarding. The kings player hitting the board was the loudest hit I've heard in tmobile all season long. He can be a lot more effective if he doesn't try to murder people every chance he gets. I don't like his game, but he has played better than this. It's making it easier to dislike him when he's playing dumber than normal. This reminds me of the blues vs preds playoff game. He was just flying all over trying way too hard and cost his team the game. If he's going to play, I'd like him to play hard but smart. He is capable of doing that without taking this many penalties. I don't see other tough guy types trying this hard to kill people all game long. He seemed late to the fight party in LA, but in Vegas, he made sure he was part of almost every fight and pushing match.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
As a Kings fan, the past 2 games were the first full VGK games I've watched all year. I was really impressed with your team speed, skating and passing. All 4 lines look dangerous.

And I miss Colin Miller and McNab. Glad they got a full time gig with you guys.
We are even better when we are playing our game.... unfortunately for some reason we decided the best way to beat you the last couple of games was to try outplay you at your game.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
It wasn't just the hits, it was the BS he tried to get started after whistles. Couple of times pushing guys around for no reason other than to be a douchebag. One time it looked like he was going to knee someone he knocked down after a whistle. And a couple of times Kings defenders trying to keep him in check so he couldnt make moves towards the goalie after a whistle. I don't care if he thinks that's his kind of game, it's not ours and I wish our coach would say that instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad