Post-Game Talk: GAME #63: Canucks 4 vs. Ducks 0 on Luke Schenn Appreciation Night

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
The hatred for Gudbranson here is so pure it almost worries me. We get outshot by the 4th worst team in the league playing their 4th string goalie (who plays a .862 game) at home but the REAL reason we win in a shutout is because the wicked witch is dead. God help whoever gets voted the next scapegoat on this team by the "fans" here...
Has nothing to do with being a scapegoat. It hurt to watch Gudbranson. He just struggled so much.

Last edited:

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
The hatred for Gudbranson here is so pure it almost worries me. We get outshot by the 4th worst team in the league playing their 4th string goalie (who plays a .862 game) at home but the REAL reason we win in a shutout is because the wicked witch is dead. God help whoever gets voted the next scapegoat on this team by the "fans" here...

Do you think this team is better or worse without Gudbranson?

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
He's obviously not a long term solution but from what I've been watching Schenn is better than Gudbranson right now.

He'll do. All I want is safe, un-noticeable hockey from a 5th/6th defenseman. Schenn is performing what a 800,000 player should do. Gudbranson was $4 million of steaming garbage.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hilarious just how much Schenn is what certain people seemed to think Gudbranson was. Simple, easy, well-positioned game. Boxed people out of the crease. Made the pass out. Didn't skate himself into trouble, and didn't make 50 icings.

And mostly what I'm taking away from this game is that Anaheim is terribad.

For all we talked about how terrible Gudbranson was with the puck on his stick, we didn’t talk nearly enough about his terrible defensive fundamentals.

Awful gap control, terrible at boxing out the guy in front of the net and removing his stick from play. Soft in board battles. Bad reads.

Schenn coming in and just doing solid, simple, veteran basics stood out like a sort thumb compared to what we’re used to on that pairing.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
As bad as Pouliot was earlier in the season, the fact that he's been a passable dman since injuries forced him and real gud guddy to split up really makes you question whether Pouliot was actually that bad to start the year, or whether he got sandbagged by Gudbranson and couldn't recover his confidence.

I still don't want to see him back next year but at this point I'd take him over the rest that have rotated through the #6 slot.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
As bad as Pouliot was earlier in the season, the fact that he's been a passable dman since injuries forced him and real gud guddy to split up really makes you question whether Pouliot was actually that bad to start the year, or whether he got sandbagged by Gudbranson and couldn't recover his confidence.

I still don't want to see him back next year but at this point I'd take him over the rest that have rotated through the #6 slot.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Pouliot has looked average which is much better than the horrific play we saw earlier when paired with Gud. Gudbranson almost ended Hutton’s career last season and almost ended Pouliot’s this season. He made Tanev look like a rookie, the poor guy was running around everywhere overcompensating for that pylon before getting injured. He handed Brisebois a -2 for his debut, luckily he was dealt before he could negatively impact Sautner. I Liked Schenn’s simple game, it’s how a 6/7 Dman should play. Gudbranson was horrible.

Last edited:

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Shouldn't get overly enthusiastic about this win since Anaheim is icing the kind of team with which you can truly tank. Canucks might take notes.

Good

Schenn - thought he did a good job of controlling the play coming out of his own end. Knocked someone off the puck or got to the puck and quickly hit the right player with a good pass. Consistently stayed b/w his check and the goal and covered up well for Sautner. Unlike Gudbranson, who got so endlessly in trouble trying to do too much, Schenn let the play come to him and maintained good position. This is how he was playing in Utica and you wondered if he could keep it up here. Well at least tonight he did. Never thought the del Zotto trade would amount to a hill of beans but if Schenn can be that steady 6th sort of d-man then the trade is a complete bargain.

Horvat - starting to get some swagger back. Best forward in this game.

Goldobin - very good early. Look dangerous both as a scorer and a play maker. That shot on the goal was the best shooting I've seen out of him so far. Real sniper's goal. Very close to racking up more points but still seems just short of that move or step to complete the play. I mean he always seems so close to completing the pass to wide open man or getting wide open in on net but comes up just short. If he can ever get to that next level (which we waited for for so long) he could become an upper level offensive player in the League.

Markstrom - Another example of how well his positioning has improved.

Hutton - very strong game. Showing increasing poise and anticipation. Reacting a lot better to scrambles in his crease area.

Beiga - battled hard in every aspect of the game. At times shows unexpected dangles.

Poor

Gaudette - worse game in a while. Very choppy in his skating and taking himself out of the play. Did not look right and may be something wrong here.

Others

Pouliot - he looks better. Still don't like how he plays deep from his end too much but he is breaking up plays consistently and moving the puck well. Sticking with him might not have been the worst move even though there were times when this seemed beyond idiotic.

Spooner - looked better in this one. He does have speed coming off the wing and showed some quickness moving around the defense. Too bad he didn't have some finish around the net but at least he was involved.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
anaheim didn't care. canucks played better than they have lately. at the very least, they were not gutted and in mourning to lose 44.

it is tempting to see a bounce in their step and a better defensive response, but don't forget the canucks d were still bad when guddy was injured for long periods the last 2 years.

schenn would be an nhl regular if he played like that every night.

canucks have about ten games to get their d sorted before hughes shows up.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017

Just made a similar point in another thread

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
vaNhjH5.jpg

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018

Sure Pouliot's play bothers me, but not as much as Green giving him special treatment and letting him get away with plays other players would get benched for. Also Green gave him too many chances on the 1st power play unit in which Pouliot was ineffective, when more deserving dmen should have been given the chance earlier.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Shudder to hear myself say it, but Jimbo might be getting the hang of this GM thing.

He deals Del Zotto for Schenn and a seventh rounder. Schenn easily slots in for Gudbranson and is actually a big upgrade.

Meantime, Del Zotto was in and out of the Ducks lineup and was finally dealt to the Blues for a late round pick. Meantime, Jimbo used the 2020 seventh rounder to acquire a serviceable goalie in Mazanec for their Utica farm team.

It's a 'win-win' for the Canucks and the Comets.

Reactions: DarrenX

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Shudder to hear myself say it, but Jimbo might be getting the hang of this GM thing.

He deals Del Zotto for Schenn and a seventh rounder. Schenn easily slots in for Gudbranson and is actually a big upgrade.

Meantime, Del Zotto was in and out of the Ducks lineup and was finally dealt to the Blues for a late round pick. Meantime, Jimbo used the 2020 seventh rounder to acquire a serviceable goalie in Mazanec for their Utica farm team.

It's a 'win-win' for the Canucks and the Comets.

Del Zotto played every game for Anaheim and was then flipped for a higher pick with no salary retention.

The 7th rounder was completely wasted on having Mazanek back up Markstrom instead of Leighton backing up Markstrom for 1 game.

That whole thing was a complete mess aside from the cap dump we took back from Anaheim being better than a guy Benning gave a $12 million contract to only a year ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad