GDT: Game 62: Tampa Bay Lightning Vs Vegas Golden Knights | 7:00PM | The changing of the New Guy

VegasKnightlife

Aug 20, 2017
Great team win. Martinez was fantastic, and that goal by Reavo was nice.

PDB has definitely improved this team. Beating top notch teams like this should give VGK confidence that they can beat anyone in a playoff series.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Very solid win for the boys tonight. Tampa's skill was pretty evident, but we played very determined hockey. Scoring immediately after they tied the game at 2 was huge(what a slick hands by Stoner)... then coming out to start the 3rd like gangbusters put the game away. What an unbelievable individual effort from Reavo on his goal!

I paid close attention to the Holden/Theo pairing tonight because you guys convinced me he's been playing well with Teddy. Sorry, but it was the same old, same old from Holden. Besides putting 2 into his own net, he was constantly out of position, per usual. Hopefully PDB moves Martini up to play with Teddy...ASAP.

I hope Stevenson gets moved back up between Patches & Stoner; Wild Bill looks a bit lost out there. Not sure what to do with him, but he needs to get going.

These last few games, Vegas has looked more like inaugural year than any time over the past two seasons imho.

We said that last year after the Stone trade, but I'm still waiting for this years' team's identity to materialize. Hopefully they can build on this streak & actually create some distance from the rest of the pretenders in the Pacific Div.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Great team win. Martinez was fantastic, and that goal by Reavo was nice.

PDB has definitely improved this team. Beating top notch teams like this should give VGK confidence that they can beat anyone in a playoff series.

Should give Fleury more confidence too. I want him to get used to the feeling of winning.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Saw this tweet:

Alec Martinez’s Golden Knights debut: goal, assist, team-high four blocked shots, team-high 17:18 even-strength TOI, one hit, one takeaway, zero giveaways, four shot attempts

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Saw this tweet:

Alec Martinez’s Golden Knights debut: goal, assist, team-high four blocked shots, team-high 17:18 even-strength TOI, one hit, one takeaway, zero giveaways, four shot attempts
Surprised, unless my records are incorrect, he also scored his 200th Point at the assist.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Very solid win for the boys tonight. Tampa's skill was pretty evident, but we played very determined hockey. Scoring immediately after they tied the game at 2 was huge(what a slick hands by Stoner)... then coming out to start the 3rd like gangbusters put the game away. What an unbelievable individual effort from Reavo on his goal!

I paid close attention to the Holden/Theo pairing tonight because you guys convinced me he's been playing well with Teddy. Sorry, but it was the same old, same old from Holden. Besides putting 2 into his own net, he was constantly out of position, per usual. Hopefully PDB moves Martini up to play with Teddy...ASAP.

I hope Stevenson gets moved back up between Patches & Stoner; Wild Bill looks a bit lost out there. Not sure what to do with him, but he needs to get going.

We said that last year after the Stone trade, but I'm still waiting for this years' team's identity to materialize. Hopefully they can build on this streak & actually create some distance from the rest of the pretenders in the Pacific Div.
If Bill is moved from that line that'd be the worst move PDB has made while being our coach, that line has been fire so far. Would be such a bad call. Especially now when it looks like he'll soon be back to normal. He also had a 66.67 FOW%(Stastny did too) in his first game back on the dot, against Tampa no less.

We're 8-3-1 under PDB btw, with two of the losses being 1 goal games against the league leaders Tampa, & Boston(gave up an EN against Tampa so technically it was a 2 goal game, but not really). Minnesota has been our only bad game, BUT we always s*** the bed against Minny.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Saw this tweet:

I'd say lets tap the brakes on expecting too much from him. He also had a -30% relative Corsi as Tampa got off 24 shot attempts while he was on the ice versus 12 shot attempts for VGK. That's really poor for a third pairing as you'd expect them not to face the top opponents much, but Tampa is so deep that might have been part of it. There is a lot of randomness in these stats so lets see the numbers after 5 games, but if these types of numbers keep up, he probably won't be so hot in the long run.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I'd say lets tap the brakes on expecting too much from him. He also had a -30% relative Corsi as Tampa got off 24 shot attempts while he was on the ice versus 12 shot attempts for VGK. That's really poor for a third pairing as you'd expect them not to face the top opponents much, but Tampa is so deep that might have been part of it. There is a lot of randomness in these stats so lets see the numbers after 5 games, but if these types of numbers keep up, he probably won't be so hot in the long run.

In fairness, he was visibly lost in the formation for the first 10 minutes, and even after he adapted somewhat, you have to give him some cushion for stepping into a new system cold. Being linemates with Defensive Guru John Merrill can't help his Corsi either.

Reactions: Vegas07

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Even though yesterday was the Martinez show, I really like what I've seen from Roy.

Sometimes he looks a little slow and hesitant, then he makes a great play with a burst of speed.

And speaking of the forwards, I keep thinking they need maybe a bit more sandpaper, but everytime they play the way they're supposed to the forward group looks just fine, despite missing Tuch.

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
In fairness, he was visibly lost in the formation for the first 10 minutes, and even after he adapted somewhat, you have to give him some cushion for stepping into a new system cold. Being linemates with Defensive Guru John Merrill can't help his Corsi either.

This is a good point. All the more headscratching to wonder why they didn't use Whitecloud instead. Zach will just follow instructions and play that stay behind defender allowing Martinez to use his skill more. If his regular partner is Merrill its going to take some time to figure out when he can cheat and when he has to stay back. Still though, 21 shifts, 24 shot attempts by Tampa, that's normally a recipe for disaster.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
This is a good point. All the more headscratching to wonder why they didn't use Whitecloud instead. Zach will just follow instructions and play that stay behind defender allowing Martinez to use his skill more. If his regular partner is Merrill its going to take some time to figure out when he can cheat and when he has to stay back. Still though, 21 shifts, 24 shot attempts by Tampa, that's normally a recipe for disaster.

They didn't use Whitecloud because they didn't have room on the roster for him due to cap constraints. He's pretty much stuck in Chicago until Merrill gets traded or there's an injury.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
They still don't have the cap flexibility to carry 2 healthy scratches on D. Plus the original question was, "Why Whitecloud didn't play last night?"

But the last sentence you wrote isn't true. They have close to Tuch's salary to use now that they've unloaded Cody's cap. They could bring up Quinney and Whitecloud at their low salaries no problem.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
They didn't use Whitecloud because they didn't have room on the roster for him due to cap constraints. He's pretty much stuck in Chicago until Merrill gets traded or there's an injury.
Whitecloud could have played, sure we'd use more LTIR space than we did, but he could have played.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Whitecloud could have played, sure we'd use more LTIR space than we did, but he could have played.

Yeah he could have taken Schuldt's place. Didn't they still have in theory $100k+ in max space left after doing the LTIR?

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
But the last sentence you wrote isn't true. They have close to Tuch's salary to use now that they've unloaded Cody's cap. They could bring up Quinney and Whitecloud at their low salaries no problem.

That's not how LTIR works. You only get the benefits of LTIR when you are at the cap and you put some one on. They made the 3 call ups to get right up against the cap to get full benefits from the LTIR. Now that Eakin is gone the LTIR benefits shrink. Any extra bodies on the roster would eat daily space that they may need in another potential deal.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Yeah he could have taken Schuldt's place. Didn't they still have in theory $100k+ in max space left after doing the LTIR?
He was called up and sent down alongside Schuldt.

That's not how LTIR works. You only get the benefits of LTIR when you are at the cap and you put some one on. They made the 3 call ups to get right up against the cap to get full benefits from the LTIR. Now that Eakin is gone the LTIR benefits shrink. Any extra bodies on the roster would eat daily space that they may need in another potential deal.
That's why you send him down after the game.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
He was called up and sent down alongside Schuldt.

That's why you send him down after the game.

It still eats daily cap for the day of the game though. As tight as things are right now they couldn't afford that to carry 2 healthy scratches. Same reason they've gone into the last couple games with no healthy scratch forwards. They're running bare minimum rosters to conserve as much cap space as possible. I honestly think if it weren't for the respect factor Engo would have been waived too.

In fact after the Eakin trade we currently are only getting the advantage of less than 600k in LTIR benefits.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
It still eats daily cap for the day of the game though. As tight as things are right now they couldn't afford that to carry 2 healthy scratches. Same reason they've gone into the last couple games with no healthy scratch forwards. They're running bare minimum rosters to conserve as much cap space as possible. I honestly think if it weren't for the respect factor Engo would have been waived too.

In fact after the Eakin trade we currently are only getting the advantage of less than 600k in LTIR benefits.

I thought they took Tuch off LTIR when they traded Eakin. Otherwise they can't accrue cap when using LTIR, right?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

How could it eat daily cap if you're using LTIR? Unless I misunderstand LTIR you can't save cap while making use of that space?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad