GDT: Game 62 - CBJ vs PHI - 20 Feb, 7pm, @Nat

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That part of the rink where Bjork got hurt last night must be cursed as it's the same area where Seth got hurt.

Anybody got a live chicken that we can sacrifice on that spot of the ice?
I think it's time to resurrect the old "that's where the Ohio Pen's electric chair was" urban legend.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Well he's new to the NHL. Usually there's a break in of a handful of games in season one, and gradually increasing the games. If you're familiar with pitch counts, it's kind of the same thing. It's very hard for a goalie to play at a sixty game pace in year one. Look at korpisalos games backing up Bobrovsky. 31, 14, 18, 27. Most of those games were going to be spread out on back to backs too.
I can see what your saying, but I don't think Elvis is really playing bad. The run he made was incredible, and I think now that he has come back to a more normal performance, we may be unfairly judging his play. He may fall somewhere in between how he is playing now, and how he played during his streak, but I don't think fatigue is a problem right now. This team is reeling from these injuries, and that takes a toll mentally. Losing Jones, and now maybe Bjork, just may be enough to unravel this team.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I don't think he was putting an ahl lineup on the ice either.

That team iced Cody Goloubef, Dalton Prout, and Fedor Tyutin on the blue line. And the top pair was Jack Johnson and David Savard. They also iced Rene Bourque, Gregory Campbell, and David Clarkson and Dubinsky was the team's 2C, at least until they started playing Wennberg there.

Maybe not AHL level as in "these guys are young 20s, time for them to step up" but talent-wise....yeah, not great.

Fireball23

Mar 5, 2014
does it really matter?
I can see what your saying, but I don't think Elvis is really playing bad. The run he made was incredible, and I think now that he has come back to a more normal performance, we may be unfairly judging his play. He may fall somewhere in between how he is playing now, and how he played during his streak, but I don't think fatigue is a problem right now. This team is reeling from these injuries, and that takes a toll mentally. Losing Jones, and now maybe Bjork, just may be enough to unravel this team.
Also.. Maybe Nick too?? Remember his face got smoked .. If he doesn't have a broken nose ... It's going to affect his breathing. Sure he'll play. but remember that too.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That team iced Cody Goloubef, Dalton Prout, and Fedor Tyutin on the blue line. And the top pair was Jack Johnson and David Savard. They also iced Rene Bourque, Gregory Campbell, and David Clarkson and Dubinsky was the team's 2C, at least until they started playing Wennberg there.

Maybe not AHL level as in "these guys are young 20s, time for them to step up" but talent-wise....yeah, not great.
That gets you maybe a third of the way to where we are now.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Also.. Maybe Nick too?? Remember his face got smoked .. If he doesn't have a broken nose ... It's going to affect his breathing. Sure he'll play. but remember that too.
Yeah, that shot to the face will most definitely effect Nick's play also. Its hard to keep all these injuries straight.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
PLD doing his best Ryan Johansen imitation tonight!

Be nice...He's "tired".

Really though, where are the "probably playing hurt" excuses for Dubois, that players like Anderson and Werenski get all the time when they are playing like shit??

Korpisalo >> Merzlikins

#bringbackKorpi
#bringbackDubi
#bringbackboomer

Reactions: Cowumbus

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Be nice...He's "tired".

Really though, where are the "probably playing hurt" excuses for Dubois, that players like Anderson and Werenski get all the time when they are playing like shit??

Korpisalo >> Merzlikins

#bringbackKorpi
#bringbackDubi
#bringbackboomer

I can’t wait until he comes back and the team still sucks. Of course it won’t be his fault. The blame will be placed on the rest of the team by then.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Nope it’s all PLD. Get Vincent Trocheck for him while we can. He can go right next to Jordan Eberle or whoever the hell we should have gotten for Werenski last year when people said the same bullshit.

I agree with you about Dubois.

However, the Werenski haters have always admitted and stood by the fact that they would move Werenski BECAUSE HE COULD RETURN A GOOD FORWARD.

How good/bad Werenski is defensively and how good of a forward/center he could return is for debate, that ANYBODY has wanted to move him for a guy like Eberle is not.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Imagine he's Zack Werenski or Josh Anderson, and he might have a shoulder injury.

Let me know when he misses a practice, let alone a game, due to an ailment.

Those two have/had confirmed shoulder injuries. Suggesting otherwise is just absurd. And I'm on your side regarding PLD.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I agree with you about Dubois.

However, the Werenski haters have always admitted and stood by the fact that they would move Werenski BECAUSE HE COULD RETURN A GOOD FORWARD.

How good/bad Werenski is defensively and how good of a forward/center he could return is for debate, that ANYBODY has wanted to move him for a guy like Eberle is not.

Last year there would be no defending Werenski's defensive play. It was all over the map, with various times of just poor defending. The example of Eberle wasn't quoting what people said last year, because I don't remember, but they were pretty bad IIRC.

This year is a completely different story, he's been very good most of the time while also leading the way offensively. I don't think any other team in the league would look to trade him.

Yeah, he'd bring in a damn good piece. But so would Seth Jones, who is better than Werenski in almost every way. Nobody wants or advocates for trading him (rightfully) and I don't understand why people would want to trade Werenski as well.

Unless the return for Werenski is an Eichel, Petterssen, Marner, or Matthews I wouldn't consider it.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Yes. Look at their records.

You (and others) think Merzlikins is the best goalie since 1930 because of the shutout streak...??

Ok lets.

Korpi: 17-10-4. 2.49 GAA, .913 save %

Elvis: 12-9-7. 2.35 GAA. .922 Save %

Wins and standings points is a slight advantage to Korpi (38) over Elvis (31) and the other stats are a slight advantage to Elvis.

Looks pretty similar to me.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

You (and others) think Merzlikins is the best goalie since 1930 because of the shutout streak...??
I’m not saying he’s the best. I’m saying they are pretty equal based on the sample size we’ve seen from each this season and that I don’t believe the results would be any different over the last 2 weeks if it was all Korpisalo in net. He’s always had a Historical penchant for giving up softies too.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Ok lets.

Korpi: 17-10-4. 2.49 GAA, .913 save %

Elvis: 12-9-7. 2.35 GAA. .922 Save %

Wins and standings points is a slight advantage to Korpi (38) over Elvis (31) and the other stats are a slight advantage to Elvis.

Korpi has played 3 more games than Elvis (not exactly apples to apples in terms of standings points just yet) and also got in games before a bunch of guys got hurt in front of him. Korpi playing this last week instead of Elvis probably doesn't change any outcomes.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

This defense is getting absurd. First it's save % doesn't matter once Elvis passes Korpi. Then suddenly GAA doesn't matter even though that was somehow previously cited to show Korpi > Elvis.

Elvis was yanked around early on, only starting road game for the first three months of the season. He's played well with even less in front of him than Korpi. They are both good goalies. Korpisalo wouldn't have changed anything the last couple weeks. The offense is nonexistent, and when it does show up the team then decides to blow 2-goal leads with horrendous defense.

Many people have changed their opinions as new information became available - whether that's on Torts, Elvis, Korpisalo, or any other number of players. You're literally the only person on this board still clinging to the notion, "Korpi is the best goalie in the league. Elvis is bad." It's tiresome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad