GDT: Game 62 - CBJ vs PHI - 20 Feb, 7pm, @Nat

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Reta reality eh..... You're as up and down as the rest of us but the thing I like about you, you tell it the way it is!!! No rosy glasses.... I like that.

I appreciate that, Robert. Here’s hoping for better days ahead.

Reactions: Robert

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
That was before Jones was injured... Elvis is good on his skates, unfortunately perhaps to good... In many posts I also said his glove hand needed work, his positioning needed work and much more since Montreal... You know as well as everyone Elvis was protected by our defense since Korpi was injured and Jones was playing.. Hell, even ECHL Kevy won a game...

And so was Korpisalo and so was Bob before that. It's a team sport that requires everyone to play well. No goalie is superhuman 365 days a year and you can't deny that Elvis also stole some games for us during the hot streak but you act you want him off the team after a bad week. Do you really think the team results will be any better once Korpisalo gets back in goal? Defense is struggling and goal scoring is and has been an issue.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Who can we get in free agency to be better?
I wanted Krieder from NYR but that was a dream....

I'm not sure Kekalainen even lives in Columbus, the dudes a ghost…. He won't do anything... Davidson was the guy who forced him to make trades last year....

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Matteau sure filled the stat sheet tonight.

7 hits.
4 shots on goal.
2 blocks.
1 goal.
+1.

#Positive

Reactions: Grouchy

213 Sentinel

Jul 2, 2006
Marysville, Ohio
After watching this latest episode in person, you can put a fork in this season. I'm convinced I saw the last of whatever real fight this team has left in it get expended last night.

This season has not been great, but definitely more interesting and entertaining than I would have predicted. I have no real beef with any one player, nor do I think anyone could have predicted the injury train. I think it will prove to be a great opportunity for talent evaluation from top to bottom to help identify areas needing improvement and gaps needing to be filled.

Reactions: Fairwhether

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I think that if Korpisalo came back, and they have the potential to roll a tandem, they have a shot of making it. On some of these goals, its becoming clear that elvis might be a bit tired. Over the past few games there have been shitty bad luck goals for sure but I think when a goalie is giving away clean goals, its a sign of fatigue..

Reactions: DJAnimosity

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
You know the Flyers obtained Kevin Hayes last off-season in exchange for a 5th round draft pick. Our dynamic GM decided to stick with Wennberg.

Grouchy

Nov 2, 2006
Canal Winchester, OH
I think that if Korpisalo came back, and they have the potential to roll a tandem, they have a shot of making it. On some of these goals, its becoming clear that elvis might be a bit tired. Over the past few games there have been shitty bad luck goals for sure but I think when a goalie is giving away clean goals, its a sign of fatigue..

I think getting anyone back at this point would be at least a morale shot in the arm. Although Korpisalo is going to have the same minus Seth and questionable at the moment veteran contributions that Elvis currently has; not the Seth plus contributing call-ups Elvis had at the start of his run. Also, there is probably a "book" on Elvis now that teams have to use to play the CBJ - where to shoot, etc. Where when he was fresh everyone had doubts that Elvis crushed with the help of the team in front of him.

It's not just Elvis, part of the team is getting tired.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
You know the Flyers obtained Kevin Hayes last off-season in exchange for a 5th round draft pick. Our dynamic GM decided to stick with Wennberg.

To be fair to our dynamic GM he did trade a 1st for Duchene. Of course that didn't turn out well. And if I recall correctly the Flyers obtained Hayes in free agency for a whopping 7.1 mm per.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
If he has fatigue in the little amount he has played, relative to a full season, he is not a #1. I think he is fine and they have just had a rough time the last few games. They still were in most of them and could have won at least 4 of them with a little puck luck.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Sure, and I understand the frustration ...

But they also paid 7 years x $7.1 million to keep him.. after last night he has 19, 16, for 35 points and a -11

Is that an upgrade over Wennberg all things considered? I think some would still be complaining about $ and production.

Reactions: Viqsi and cslebn

varano

Jun 27, 2013
If he has fatigue in the little amount he has played, relative to a full season, he is not a #1. I think he is fine and they have just had a rough time the last few games. They still were in most of them and could have won at least 4 of them with a little puck luck.
Well he's new to the NHL. Usually there's a break in of a handful of games in season one, and gradually increasing the games. If you're familiar with pitch counts, it's kind of the same thing. It's very hard for a goalie to play at a sixty game pace in year one. Look at korpisalos games backing up Bobrovsky. 31, 14, 18, 27. Most of those games were going to be spread out on back to backs too.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
That part of the rink where Bjork got hurt last night must be cursed as it's the same area where Seth got hurt.

Anybody got a live chicken that we can sacrifice on that spot of the ice?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad