GDT: Game 62: Avs @ Preds|2/23 3:30pm MT|Please don't screw this up Grubauer

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'm thinking both gonna be a 3 point game because well...hockey gods and all
The most important outcome is the blues beating Minnesota. The Dallas game favours us slightly if Chicago wins, but it's not a huge deal if Dallas wins, as long as it's in regulation.

Reactions: the_fan

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
We were solid but Nashville should've won. We got lucky. Playoffs are a distant dream for this team.

:eek:o_O:huh::confused::thumbd:

What's your f*****g problem, really, are you a fan of the Avs or Pekka Rinne? 5 goals against, it hurts? Personally I can't wait until the Avs face the Predators again. Sometimes it may be wise staying quiet. The Avs played a really good away game and have a great chance reaching the playoffs.

Last edited:

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
I’m not sure there’s a bigger hot take in the last few weeks.

A career 918 is not an NHL goalie...

I don’t care if he’s your relative, that’s just nonsense.

Varly to waivers tops all.

Solid game from Grubs. Avs defended front of the net better than againts Chicago and Grubauer managed to make the needed gamesavers. Grubauer looked more calmer in the net than in the previous starts. I have been bashing Grubs quite a lot but this was an outstanding performance.

Reactions: 21

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I'm happy for the win, but as others have said there are still glaring issues that need to be addressed in order to become a contender and not be stuck as a perpetual pretender.

Goaltending needs to be solidified. We need a consistent presence back there that the boys have full confidence in.

Our second line needs to be a true 2nd line. If they're not going to use Soda as the 2C then they need to acquire one because Jost and Compher are not going to cut it in that role, as much as I like them as players, especially JT.

Kerfoot needs to be shipped off asap. There are lots of players that can put up 33 points while actually contributing in other aspects of the game. Get something for him before his value tanks.

Barrie is also at the top of my trade list, but not until the offseason, otherwise our D becomes Roy-era level.

Other than that, the only other issue is our ability to develop prospects. I see only Makar being able to step into the lineup next season. Maybe Kaut in a 3rd line role. Timmins will need a full year in the AHL to get back to where he needs to be, and then probably 1-2 more. Saigeon is a wildcard for the 4th line C spot if he has a other good camp.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
No

No

No

No

I've never seen four people more wrong in my life. The Avs will win this game.

tumblr_inline_moyd1zId7R1qz4rgp.gif

Are you guys ready to listen to me now?

This is a winning team that will make the playoffs. The only question is who they'll play in the first round.

And I can't believe anyone has anything negative to say about this game - it came just 22 hours and a *f***ing* flight after the biggest game of the season against a team that likes to play fast, high-chance hockey. And it was against a team that usually has our number, and was at home waiting for us to arrive. By all logic we should have not only lost, but been blown out of the building. Especially since we'd just won three and everyone would have been okay with a loss here - there were tons of excuses after all - not least of which was Grubauer starting.

But we didn't get blown out. We didn't lose. No, instead we shut out Nashville 5-0 to end the week 4-0 with four straight games in which we often dominated the opposition - all of whom were good, playoff-quality teams who had every reason to want to win.

So can we all just get behind this team and start believing in them?

Yeah, we can criticize certain players for certain aspects of their game, but the negativity around here has been overwhelming and there's no longer any call for it.

(by the way, I'm only being half serious - cheer for the team however you want, or don't. It's up to you. I'd just rather be positive)

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Are you guys ready to listen to me now?

This is a winning team that will make the playoffs. The only question is who they'll play in the first round.

And I can't believe anyone has anything negative to say about this game - it came just 22 hours and a *****ing* flight after the biggest game of the season against a team that likes to play fast, high-chance hockey. And it was against a team that usually has our number, and was at home waiting for us to arrive. By all logic we should have not only lost, but been blown out of the building. Especially since we'd just won three and everyone would have been okay with a loss here - there were tons of excuses after all - not least of which was Grubauer starting.

But we didn't get blown out. We didn't lose. No, instead we shut out Nashville 5-0 to end the week 4-0 with four straight games in which we often dominated the opposition - all of whom were good, playoff-quality teams who had every reason to want to win.

So can we all just get behind this team and start believing in them?

Yeah, we can criticize certain players for certain aspects of their game, but the negativity around here has been overwhelming and there's no longer any call for it.

(by the way, I'm only being half serious - cheer for the team however you want, or don't. It's up to you. I'd just rather be positive)

af00faaf5ae314fc805c7154ec4677b6.gif

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If Avs were a .500% team in OT, they'd be six points clear of 9th placed Wild.

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
Kerfoot has now scored 30 NHL goals. Not sure if any of them actually beat an NHL goaltender. Guy is actually pretty sneaky at finding tips/rebounds around the net.
I saw him live score a wrister vs Mike Condon last season but maybe he doesn't count as a NHL goalie ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
If Avs were a .500% team in OT, they'd be six points clear of 9th placed Wild.

I would tell you the Avs would be .500 in OT by the end of the season, but it's hard to win OT games when you only win games 5-0 or 7-1.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Very nice to see Mack shoot like that. Now if he could stop trying going through three guys in the offensive zone while trying to cut to the middle it would be great.

Great game from the boys and especially Gru.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Very nice to see Mack shoot like that. Now if he could stop trying going through three guys in the offensive zone while trying to cut to the middle it would be great.

Great game from the boys and especially Gru.

In his defense that’s the only thing he could do when Ghetto and Kerfoot were his line mates.

Reactions: MacBradley and cgf

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Before that he would just buttonhook and look for a pass, baby steps
Hopefully he keeps firing the puck, now that it's going in.

He also was the main reason for the Kerfoot goal. If that shot isn't good enough to cause a rebound, Rantanen doesn't pass that to Kerfoot.

Reactions: MacBradley

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think Grubauer has looked more confident so far than he had in pervious games.

I kinda wanted to build off of my point that I noticed early last night.

Grubs looked comfortable and flexibile in net. Generally beforehand he had looked stiff to me to go along with providing minimal effort.

He wasn’t flawless, but he was much quicker than I’d seen him before. Hopefully he can continue to play like that.

Reactions: Avs

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I kinda wanted to build off of my point that I noticed early last night.

Grubs looked comfortable and flexibile in net. Generally beforehand he had looked stiff to me to go along with providing minimal effort.

He wasn’t flawless, but he was much quicker than I’d seen him before. Hopefully he can continue to play like that.
Playing like his job depended on it

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The most important outcome is the blues beating Minnesota. The Dallas game favours us slightly if Chicago wins, but it's not a huge deal if Dallas wins, as long as it's in regulation.
Actually I think Stars beating the Hawks would be better because teams outside the wildcard spot chasing the Avs will fall behind and it doesn't matter if the Avs take the 1st or the 2nd wildcard spot. Blues beating the Wild in regulation will be big

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Missed the game How did Jost play?

He looked good for the most part, but had fewer chances than the previous couple games. Still moving around the ice well with speed. Still making good decisions with the puck. Still making good plays defensively. Still looks more comfortable playing down load with Landy's meat and potatoes cycle game, than an off the rush style with Kerfoot and JTC.

He's becoming a really good puck thief too. Really dogged with his work ethic, never giving up on plays, which is what I've been waiting for from him.

Still a little fumbly with the puck at times, but I think that's still a confidence thing. Specifically he's worried about getting smoked again. The longer he plays and has success, the quicker that will go away IMO.

Bednar has been dialing him back though towards the end of 2nd periods, which is understandable. These are huge games and he wants to ride Soda and the top dogs to close out games.

I'd really like to see him worked into the PK. I think this will help him a lot, and will get him more confidence, with more minutes.

Reactions: avsfan09

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Actually I think Stars beating the Hawks would be better because teams outside the wildcard spot chasing the Avs will fall behind and it doesn't matter if the Avs take the 1st or the 2nd wildcard spot. Blues beating the Wild in regulation will be big
Yah it's not much of a difference who wins. I don't think Chicago is likely to continue to win at the rate they have, so Dallas losing, keeps both spots open, but either works.

Blues win would be big for sure.

Reactions: the_fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad