GDT: Game # 62 Anaheim “Not so Mighty” Ducks Vs. Viva Las Vegas 02/23/2020 @ 10PM EST on NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Getz can float for the rest of year, it's over and we don't need him putting out any more energy than he needs to.

Before this year went to oblivion we could see his switch go on, so the coasting now doesn't bother me at all because it doesn't matter and he knows it.

I'm not saying he's floating, but I am saying that buying into the rebuild means you exhibit leadership and work hard all the time. If Bob's gonna whine publicly about lack of leadership on the team then the captain should be the last guy to float because we're going nowhere.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I'm not saying he's floating, but I am saying that buying into the rebuild means you exhibit leadership and work hard all the time. If Bob's gonna whine publicly about lack of leadership on the team then the captain should be the last guy to float because we're going nowhere.

Agreed. There is no scenario in which Getzlaf dogging it and throwing blind passes to no one is a good example for the young guys.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
God forbid Bob Murray has to do his job and work around some “road blocks”... lol

Who said anything about that? The point I made was that theres more to it. In this case it would've been trading a defenseman, probably Vatanen, for who knows what. If the Henrique deal was on the table, which it probably wasn't, then it's a misfire no matter how you look at it. Or if the GMs who could've traded for him refused to give up a whole lot, which they tend to do in situations like this, it's quite a bit different. It still would've been the right move to make, but that's solely through hindsight. Don't even get me started on Karlsson lol.

If guys are gonna bitch about it they might as well get it right. Its especially funny considering Bieksa just the other day admitted he was asked to waive, you'd think people would at least get that right.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

True, maybe that leadership jab was indeed directed his way too. But, hey, you can only do so much about that.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Gibson has to have that last goal. That had no business going in. Vegas really had no business winning this game after we tied it but Gibson ensured they did.

And Getzlaf has been garbage for about 10 games now. Eakins isn’t helping his cause by giving him garbage linemates but him stepping up and producing would be nice, he’s killed every PP we’ve had lately.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Anaheim sure couldn't use a player like Shea Theodore, could they Bob?

Sure they could but on the other hand it was him or Monty and they decided to go with Montour (like 95% of the posters here as well) since Theo would have been on the 3rd pair. This move wasn't great but got Stoner off the roster and left a top 4 that was considered as one of the better in the NHL back then. It's like complaints of trading Wild Bill, who figured it out in Vegas. He showed not so much potential at the Ducks nor did he at Columbus.

Some players just need the right situation in the right environment. Theo and Wild Bill certainly took their chance here.

Sad to say but I thoroughly enjoyed Wild Bill getting his hat trick agains us. Thank you BM!

Looking forward to watching Kase do the same to us as well!

Bills growth has been impressive while Rakell has been stunted.

When did the Ducks trade Wild Bill to Vegas?

The year Wild Bill got traded to Columbuse had 2g 1a in 18 games in the NHL while Rakell had 9g and 22a in 71. Wild Bill was mainly in the AHL putting up ok numbers. The year after at the Blue Jackets he had stunning 20 points in 80 games and 25 in 2016/17. He was so good there the Blue Jackets left him unprotected on an average roster. I wonder why?

Wild Bill was traded for a type of player that Bruce wanted for the playoffs and Bob got one. Point. The Ducks were in a win now mode back then. It was as simple as that.

Last edited:
Reactions: JabbaJabba

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yeah as much as I would like to have Wild Bill, we needed a D depth that year. Even tho Wiz was not used in the playoffs you never know - one weird bounce and we might have had needed him.
Good for Wild Bill to break out like he did but he wouldn`t have had survived the expansion draft on our roster as well.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
There were a number of posters on this forum who knew how good Wild Bill would be.

I paid a lot of attention to Karlsson in Columbus and he was getting buried with tough minutes there but had great underlying numbers and it was clear once he started getting offensive opportunity he was going to break out.

Theodore vs Montour most of the forum would probably get wrong but it shouldn’t have really come to having to trade one of them in the first place.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yeah as much as I would like to have Wild Bill, we needed a D depth that year. Even tho Wiz was not used in the playoffs you never know - one weird bounce and we might have had needed him.
Good for Wild Bill to break out like he did but he wouldn`t have had survived the expansion draft on our roster as well.
Yes he would have. We protected a 35 year old Antoine Vermette who was barely a third liner at that point.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Just watched the game....love watching 2 players that should be part of our core burn us... always leaves a good taste.

Gibson was not very good.

I think terry was the best player, didnt get rewarded with the points, but he made stuff happen on entries and in the ozone, prob deserved at least a 3 point game.... thats more of what i hoped to see from terry this year and going forward... hopefully he can get hot to end the season(point wise) and come into next year on a high. Ritchie + terry could be a good duo going forward, they compliment each other fairly well.

Ritchie played a very good ritchie game... i like him a lot more when he is going to the net and finding trash to tap in. Henrique had another good game and seems to be on a hot streak... biggest problem is you almost know a cold streak id coming.

I thought sheerwood looked solid enough, kinda hope he stays up with the club for a bit.

Another guy that has been flying a bit under the radar i think is shore, hes had a good stretch to the point i wouldnt mind bringing him back as a utility/stable prescence.

I think well see a few moves tommorow... obviously mdz + grant... maybe miller and rowney.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Just watched the game....love watching 2 players that should be part of our core burn us... always leaves a good taste.
Theo burned his current club as well, being on ice and not agressive enough to see all their 3 ES goals against.
Still think it was really bad how we pissed him away, but there was a reason we were going the other direction

Reactions: Masch78

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like to see more games like this where they are at least competitive and score goals. A lot of these goals scored were a mix of showing some skill and talent on top of effort and determination. Loved it. Terry has taken a huge step this season and is fun to watch. He deserves more points. The line of Ritchie - Henrique - Terry has looked dangerous for awhile, had cashed in some goals in the past, but last night the trio really were gelling together.

Getzlaf, Rakell, and Silf need to be better. They are the vet core that needs to set an example. Although I thought Rakell looked dangerous and even assisted on one of the goals late in the game, but had made a bonehead play here and there and has just been snake bitten as hell. Getzlaf with that no look bad pass, was brutal.

I know some people get on Henrique’s case but thought he was great in all three zones last night. He is on pace to have one of his best seasons in years. He is a goal scorer, cannot move out a goal scorer with the kids coming up, need finishers. I think Henrique will be good depth to have in the next year or two when they start to compete again.

One last thought this team is cursed or maybe inconsistent is more like it. On a night Gibson is off they score 5 goals, on a night he is excellent they cannot score a single goal.

Reactions: Masch78
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
There were a number of posters on this forum who knew how good Wild Bill would be.

I paid a lot of attention to Karlsson in Columbus and he was getting buried with tough minutes there but had great underlying numbers and it was clear once he started getting offensive opportunity he was going to break out.

Theodore vs Montour most of the forum would probably get wrong but it shouldn’t have really come to having to trade one of them in the first place.

I love posts like this. Just a complete lie but most people will just go with it.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I honestly don't remember anyone being very hyped about him.

Nah there was plenty of hype on him, to the point that he did nothing in Columbus and people still pined for him as the answer to our center problems. Most of those people were still good with the trade but they liked him.

It is funny to recall, though, because this board was on the verge of a mini-meltdown until that trade was announced. A big name defenseman was the only thing people wanted and Wiz fit the bill perfectly, just didn't fit here for whatever reason.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I love posts like this. Just a complete lie but most people will just go with it.
Why does he not have that potential? His hockey sense is outstanding, he's an excellent distributor and has a good shot. While he was up he was thinking the game at a level higher than most of our forwards. What is it that potentially holds him back? Size and NA experience are the only things he lacks and putting on weight will come with time.

And saying his upside is a 1B centre doesn't necessarily mean he's going to hit that. It's a high end projection if things go right.

You use the term “lie” way too easily. That’s from the thread where he was traded.

Reactions: Paul4587
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad