GDT: Game 61: Capitals @ Coyotes - 8:00pm - FSA, FSA+ - Smackdown Edition

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Tocchet needs to be fired today. Right now.

"From my own perspective," Chayka said, "I've never really been a follower, and I'm not really persuaded by what other teams are doing. I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about us. 'Tocc' has been a great asset for this organization and has done some great things, and I expect him to do it for a long time.
"I think in order to be a great team and organization in the long-term, you've got to have stability."

Coyotes' John Chayka on NHL coaching turnover: 'I've never really been a follower'

Reactions: Surfshop

CoyoteDave

Dec 12, 2016
Cave Creek
Chayka has to say this. He knows and Merulo knows that he is the architect of this team/coaches. To make a change at this time is an admission that he was wrong. Most likely if Tocchet goes, Chayka goes at the same time. I am selling all my toasters so that when it is announced later this year that Tocchet has been resigned to a new 5 year contract, I don't "off" myself.

Reactions: _Del_

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I am not really shocked. I predicted we do nothing but sit on our hands and double down. But I hoped 3-12 lately might knock some cobwebs loose.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
GMs have to publicly support their coach right up until the very moment they are fired. See Poile and Lavi.

If burger boy really wants to sit on his hands that hard, he will be following Tocchet out the door.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
GMs have to publicly support their coach right up until the very moment they are fired. See Poile and Lavi.

If burger boy really wants to sit on his hands that hard, he will be following Tocchet out the door.
Not so long ago you had Chayka as top 5 gm in the League, what happened?

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Wait, did I misunderstand how the Hayton rehab assignment played out? I thought they got permission to extend his stint in Tucson but then recalled him "early" anyway?

Is it confirmed he's a Scratch tonight?

Please tell me I'm completely wrong about all of the above.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Arrived early to beat the paid parking. Hanging out in the AMC parking lot whilst listening to Bathory. Time to go find a beer or two.

Let's drop the puck already. This overgrown baby has a bedtime.

Hope Tocc keeps Phil on the pine if he does not feel inclined to earn his pay. I'd still like to crush a few Sonoran's with Phil, though, even if he's a bust past his prime. I have a soft spot for a fellow encased meat conesuer.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I am selling all my toasters so that when it is announced later this year that Tocchet has been resigned to a new 5 year contract, I don't "off" myself.

This team has put us through so much... bankruptcy, relocation threats, Moss and Tipcurra, bad drafting, empty arenas, DT screwing us out of McDavid/Eichel, bad trades, country club atmosphere among the players, promising players amounting to nothing, Ribeiro, etc.. But even with all those things there was still a sliver of hope that things could get better. If Tocchet sticks around there is no hope. Mediocre is the new success. Making changes other than rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic is unacceptable. At that point, it will be very hard to justify being a fan of this team or even following it. Even a masochist has to have a breaking point. This would be it.

Reactions: justin323032

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Chayka has to say this. He knows and Merulo knows that he is the architect of this team/coaches. To make a change at this time is an admission that he was wrong. Most likely if Tocchet goes, Chayka goes at the same time. I am selling all my toasters so that when it is announced later this year that Tocchet has been resigned to a new 5 year contract, I don't "off" myself.
What's with this obssession some have that making certain moves is "an admission of wrong?" Laughable at best.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
What's with this obssession some have that making certain moves is "an admission of wrong?" Laughable at best.
I dont get that either. The GM and coach should be constantly looking for ways to improve the team. Some of those things will be the changing of things that did not work. Phil was worth the try, its not working so find Phil a new home. Hall was everything we expected but if the team continues to falter he either needs to sign an extension or Chayka should be listening to offers. Offers shouldn't considered for half the roster. That doesn't mean you give away the farm but you should be exploring possibilities.

Reactions: Surfshop

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't think people are complimenting the mentality. People are cynically suggesting that Chayka is not prepared to do it. I think he's a true believer in his plan and is suffering some dissonance. I don't think he's ready to admit, hey, that didn't work.
That doesn't mean they shouldn't trade Hall, fire RT,.etc. It just means people don't think Chayka is actually ready to do it.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Maybe Chayka has forever been scarred by telling Doaner that he's not coming back over a breakfast scramble and cup of coffee. Not sure I'd ever have the guts to fire anyone after that either!

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
After spending 15 minutes in line with Caps fans acting like a Grateful Dead cover band is a metal band I don't want Ovi to hit 700 tonight. I don't want them to witness history.

But I'll feel bad for the lady with the "I drove 2k km's to see 700" sign. That's a cross she must bear.

Kilometers, eh?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The vitriol toward Chayka because of this will never get old.

Maloney "paid his dues" and what a masterpiece he painted here...
3 straight playoff appearances and a WCF. Chayka has a long way to go to be compared to DM.

Reactions: MIG

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I think most of us need to take a deep breath and realize that Tocchet isn’t going anywhere...even if they miss the playoffs I don’t think he’s gone. Might as well hop on board the Tocchet train. My hope is that he continues to evolve, learn, and get better and better as a coach. If he stays stagnant and this team isn’t even close to their potential, at some point Meruelo will be the one who is forced to step in.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Another Hayton scratching streak begins. Poor kid.

Tocc took the blame for their poor starts in his last post game before Morgan jumped in and basically begged him to blame the players instead. We'll see how they start tonight.
This team is good at not developing offensive players. FFS. Was planning to watch Hayton. Not sure I want to watch Ovi set a record.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
10 p.m. start times suck. They suck even more when DST is not in effect. 8 p.m. local time starts outside of the eastern time zone only make sense to me if the game is nationally televised... and this game isn't. So... what the hell?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad