GDT: Game 61: Avalanche @ Oilers | February 20th, 8PM MT/5AM Finnish | Save Ferris

Status
Not open for further replies.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
McLellan is a smart man, why/how are they playing the same Oilers hockey?

It's like the old saying "you can take the girl out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of the girl."

The fact is their core players have always been suspect defensively and just because you have a smart coach doesn't mean he can break their bad habits that they've formed over the years.

The Oilers are almost the anti-Avalanche when it comes to the draft. We look for all-around players like when we drafted Landeskog over Huberdeau or Duchene over Kane. We take the all around player that might not be as flashy or offensively driven.

Whereas the Oilers always take the flashy player. Like Hall over Seguin, Seguin would have been a better choice as he plays a premier position and has a better all around game than Hall. Or Yakupov over Murray even though they had a defensive deficiency.

Hell they could have even traded one of those #1 picks and addressed some of their issues, but they went ahead and drafted the flashy offensive guy instead.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I would give up some value for Yak. Not 1st overall pick value, but I'd much rather get Yak than Eberle. And I'd give up more for Yak than I would for Rychel. The kid plays with so much heart, has an amazing shot, and still has a lot of talent. With Roy to rebuild him, Yak would start scoring 30+ goals after a year of teaching him how to defense.

And come on captain hindsight. They would have had to be too dumb to tie their shoes to have taken Murray over Yak at that time. Yakubov was just on a completely different level as a prospect.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Also how about Darnell Nurse? I know TV probably is slightly happy to see that Bigras outplayed Nurse. If anyone needs to head back to the AHL, it's Nurse.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Also how about Darnell Nurse? I know TV probably is slightly happy to see that Bigras outplayed Nurse. If anyone needs to head back to the AHL, it's Nurse.

Haha yeah. I still think he's overrated, no doubt he's a good player but it's been a bit much. You know who else Bigras is outplaying. Mr. OHL defenseman of the year who at times has been a healthy scratch in the AHL. But he'll just keep getting no credit or hype whatsoever.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Are there any similarities between the Oilers now and the old Nordiques before they moved to Colorado? in that they have a ton of high draft picks but still sucked? Although I know there are mixed feelings about Lacroix as a GM and people say that anyone could have won cups with the talent he had, he was able to "ball up" and make some solid trades to get us over the hump.

Seems like Edmonton needs to do something similar and make some key trades.

Last edited:

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Welcome Shawn Matthias.

Well this was the wrong thread wasn't it. :laugh:

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The problem with the Oilers is that they've developed so many bad habits that it's going to take this entire year to try and work it out of them. But they need a massive culture change.

If I'm Chiarelli, the only pieces I'm keeping on the team are McDavid, Draisaitl, Pouliot, Yakupov (due to nobody willing to give actual value for him), Klefbom, Nurse, Davidson, and Sekera.

Everyone else can go. Taylor Hall you move if you can get a legitimate top-pairing defensemen back. RNH and Eberle should be moved for either defensemen on the right side, or depth up front that is different from what they are. It just isn't going to work in Edmonton with all these forwards, especially since Hall/RNH/Eberle are all making 6M per year already. If that's the case, what in the hell does Chiarelli pay McDavid/Draisaitl when their contracts are up?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Are there any similarities between the Oilers now and the old Nordiques before they moved to Colorado? in that they have a ton of high draft picks but still sucked? Although I know there are mixed feelings about Lacroix as a GM and people say that anyone could have won cups with the talent he had, he was able to "ball up" and make some solid trades to get us over the hump.

Seems like Edmonton needs to do something similar and make some key trades.

Some similarities for sure but the Nords werent afraid to make moves either I mean they traded Sundin to Toronto in what his fourth year for Wendell Clark? Clark eventually gets flipped for Claude Lemieux. It didnt take the Nords 10+ yrs to make the playoffs. My friends little brother was in Elementary the year the Oilers went to the finals...he graduated from University this year. Let that sink in. Also, the nords drafted way better in the later rounds. As a parting gift in 94 they drafted Drury and Hejduk back to back in the 3rd and 4th round so they werent all that dumb like the Oilers prior regime. Craig Mactavish still has a job in hockey somehow same with Kevin Lowe.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think Nurse is going to be a good defender, but dudes they drafted him over freakin' Ristolainen. Horrible move. Then their two biggest scouts head to Finland not knowing that Laine was in the Euro Hockey Tour. It's just this incompetence that has been throughout and I'm starting to think it all begins with the owner. Because seriously, what if they never really won the lottery? McDavid could have easily been on Arizona or Toronto instead. What would have happened to the oilers then? It's amazing how one player can help a franchise so much and how one player also can't help the Oilers get into a playoff spot.

Chiarelli and McLellan are better than the last regimen, but both are clearly overrated and sort of regressing in their valuation of players. I thought Avs breakout was bad, I had no effin clue what Oilers were trying to accomplish last night. :laugh:

This is a team that should have already made some core moves to get help on the back end. They're still too attached with their players relying on free agents and struggling prospects to potentially rebound. Just look at Griffin, he was overrated in his draft year, and Oilers traded for him because they hope he can turn it around, and he hasn't. I still think he's going to be a NHL player, but definitely not to what certain people thought he could be. Sekera isn't bad, but he's never going to live up to that contract and was never the answer. He's more of a stop gap than anything now, but for which prospects? Klefbolm is good, but who else? Musil is looking like a bust and I can't think of anyone else.

And I think they're also overvaluing their player for trades. Eberle is good, but he won't be bringing back a top flight defenseman. Maybe something like a 2nd+middle pairing defender. Yakupov was atrocious last game and his trade value is dropping year after year. Again I don't think he's a bad player, but in a bad situation. RNH looks like he's going to top off as a good 2nd line centre. The most impressive player last night was Draisaitl at both ends of the ice. Actually he's the player I would trade if I was the Oilers. My reasoning why is because you already have your franchise 1st centre in McDavid, have your second line centre locked up on a good long term contract with Nugent-Hopkins. Draisaitl is looking like he will become better than Ryan, but with Leon, you have no idea what he will want for the future. He could easily become Ryan O'Reilly in terms of contract negotiations and demands. You'll know what you get with RNH and Leon might screw up their cap situation when McDavid is getting his 10ish millions, Nurse is off his ELC, Yakupov, and all the other top prospects they will have to sign soon to long term contracts. Or all the defenders they get back if they decide to trade one of their forwards.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Some similarities for sure but the Nords werent afraid to make moves either I mean they traded Sundin to Toronto in what his fourth year for Wendell Clark? Clark eventually gets flipped for Claude Lemieux. It didnt take the Nords 10+ yrs to make the playoffs. My friends little brother was in Elementary the year the Oilers went to the finals...he graduated from University this year. Let that sink in. Also, the nords drafted way better in the later rounds. As a parting gift in 94 they drafted Drury and Hejduk back to back in the 3rd and 4th round so they werent all that dumb like the Oilers prior regime. Craig Mactavish still has a job in hockey somehow same with Kevin Lowe.

Ahh, Thanks! Was just musing around.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Davidson looks legit. With him, Klef and Sekera/Nurse, their left side looks solid for the future...their problem on D is that Schultz is arguably their best RHD, and McDavid is already one of their best two-way forwards.

And Yak wasn't atrocious last game, they play him with absolute crap and he still drew them a PP...where they stupidly put him in front of net...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad