GDT: Game 60: Calgary Flames @ Vegas Golden Knights | 7:30PM | Hi Calgary Hockey Moms

Canadian Anthen Singer Will Sing:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
On that topic, I'm hearing from League sources, that the Golden Knights have petitioned and been granted the right to have 3 goals from tonights game, carried back to our last game... so we just beat the ducks 3-2 WHOOOOOO. They are using the legal precedent of everyone thinks we're doing this anyway so **** it.
:laugh:

I was thinking the same thing last night...if only a few of those goals could have been retroactive to Monday!

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I know not everyone here has love or even tolerance for the Ducks but last night was a f***ing amazing night of hockey for me. After a stressful first 6 goals Vegas turns the game around to absolutely demolish Calgary. Anaheim shuts out Dallas for two straight shutouts now. And to top it all off the US women finally take gold again. Last time it happened I was still in elementary school. Or just starting actually, I believe.

Oh and Vegas broke some records haha. Quite a night. Still exhausted this morning.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I know not everyone here has love or even tolerance for the Ducks but last night was a ****ing amazing night of hockey for me. After a stressful first 6 goals Vegas turns the game around to absolutely demolish Calgary. Anaheim shuts out Dallas for two straight shutouts now. And to top it all off the US women finally take gold again. Last time it happened I was still in elementary school. Or just starting actually, I believe.

Oh and Vegas broke some records haha. Quite a night. Still exhausted this morning.
Full disclosure, I'm not talking trash or complaining.

How do you still have so much love for the Ducks?

Am I just a weak guy that went 100% all-in on the Knights? Was it just easier for me to switch because I never really participated in Blackhawks message boards/social media and I don't have a documented record outside of friends that I can explain it to? It is because the Hawks suck and the Knights don't?

I'm seriously trying to figure out why it was so easy for me to just drop the Hawks and pick up the Knights. I haven't watched but three Hawks games this year and gave up my Chicago tickets to my old man without a fight at all. I'm just done with them, and it's impacting who I thought I was as a fan.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Full disclosure, I'm not talking trash or complaining.

How do you still have so much love for the Ducks?

Am I just a weak guy that went 100% all-in on the Knights? Was it just easier for me to switch because I never really participated in Blackhawks message boards/social media and I don't have a documented record outside of friends that I can explain it to? It is because the Hawks suck and the Knights don't?

I'm seriously trying to figure out why it was so easy for me to just drop the Hawks and pick up the Knights. I haven't watched but three Hawks games this year and gave up my Chicago tickets to my old man without a fight at all. I'm just done with them, and it's impacting who I thought I was as a fan.
I grew up in California. Hockey is one of my biggest passions and I don't become a hockey fan if not for the Ducks. I would've been a fan of the Kings in the same way I was a fan of the Dodger's and Lakers. I'd check scores and mention the game if someone brought it up. I grew up watching Teemu Selanne and Paul Kariya dazzle the league. I fantasized about being a player myself and centering the two of them. The 2003 cup run was magical and heartbreaking and locked the team into my heart I suppose and then 2007 happened and there's just no giving up on them.

I spent almost as much time in Vegas as I did in California and Vegas to me is home. But I will always be a Californian at heart and the Ducks do tie me to that identity (I know there are shitty Californians, don't get me wrong, it's not like I say I'm a Californian at heart as some massive point of pride).

I don't meant to presume but maybe you just didn't love the Hawks as much as I loved the Ducks. I mean the Ducks were my obsession. At times they were all I could think about.

And don't get me wrong. Vegas has captured my heart almost instantaneously. You and I were the two most outspoken Vegas natives in favor of the expansion. I still defend Vegas on the main boards every day. I love the team. The minute I stepped foot in my new home in Las Vegas I started hoping and wishing for the city to get an NHL team. I checked up on arena proposals and expansion rumors every year. When the process started to get going I would check on the T-Mobile Arena construction process every. single. day. When Bettman finally said the words that made dreams a reality, it was one of the happiest moments of my life. The city I love so much finally had something to rally behind. Something to give them an identity beyond being a residential area around one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. The way this season has been going has been a ride I will never forget as a hockey fan. It's been like a fairy tale.

All that being said none of that overrides my lifelong fandom. The Ducks are like family to me almost. At times they frustrate me. At times they let me down. I had to move away from them and I almost never see them in person anymore. But I still love them and always will. It's tough for me having these two teams be in the same division but I want the best for both of them. This year in particular I want Vegas to win the cup. It would be huge for the city and the history of the sport in general. But if Vegas can't do it, then I want Anaheim to get one more while Getzlaf is still a good player.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I grew up in California. Hockey is one of my biggest passions and I don't become a hockey fan if not for the Ducks. I would've been a fan of the Kings in the same way I was a fan of the Dodger's and Lakers. I'd check scores and mention the game if someone brought it up. I grew up watching Teemu Selanne and Paul Kariya dazzle the league. I fantasized about being a player myself and centering the two of them. The 2003 cup run was magical and heartbreaking and locked the team into my heart I suppose and then 2007 happened and there's just no giving up on them.

I spent almost as much time in Vegas as I did in California and Vegas to me is home. But I will always be a Californian at heart and the Ducks do tie me to that identity (I know there are ****ty Californians, don't get me wrong, it's not like I say I'm a Californian at heart as some massive point of pride).

I don't meant to presume but maybe you just didn't love the Hawks as much as I loved the Ducks. I mean the Ducks were my obsession. At times they were all I could think about.

And don't get me wrong. Vegas has captured my heart almost instantaneously. You and I were the two most outspoken Vegas natives in favor of the expansion. I still defend Vegas on the main boards every day. I love the team. The minute I stepped foot in my new home in Las Vegas I started hoping and wishing for the city to get an NHL team. I checked up on arena proposals and expansion rumors every year. When the process started to get going I would check on the T-Mobile Arena construction process every. single. day. When Bettman finally said the words that made dreams a reality, it was one of the happiest moments of my life. The city I love so much finally had something to rally behind. Something to give them an identity beyond being a residential area around one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. The way this season has been going has been a ride I will never forget as a hockey fan. It's been like a fairy tale.

All that being said none of that overrides my lifelong fandom. The Ducks are like family to me almost. At times they frustrate me. At times they let me down. I had to move away from them and I almost never see them in person anymore. But I still love them and always will. It's tough for me having these two teams be in the same division but I want the best for both of them. This year in particular I want Vegas to win the cup. It would be huge for the city and the history of the sport in general. But if Vegas can't do it, then I want Anaheim to get one more while Getzlaf is still a good player.
Perhaps that's it.

It's the amount of shit I took when I was online as a younger person saying Las Vegas should be in the discussion for the NHL and following every stop of the Bruckheimer attempt to get the NHL in Las Vegas. I fell in love with hockey with the Las Vegas Thunder instead of the Chicago Blackhawks. I guess I'm just more connected with Las Vegas hockey versus the Golden Knights or the Blackhawks.

I'm seriously one of those guys that said you can't change teams once you're a fan, I see people like me talking trash in the main boards thread. Perhaps the Blackhawks were my adopted team replacing the Thunder instead of the Knights replacing the Hawks as my team since the Thunder was actually my team.

This has seriously bothered me for a while. I was a serious "you don't change your team" guy, and now I've got empathy for team changers.

Reactions: Supermassive

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Perhaps that's it.

It's the amount of **** I took when I was online as a younger person saying Las Vegas should be in the discussion for the NHL and following every stop of the Bruckheimer attempt to get the NHL in Las Vegas. I fell in love with hockey with the Las Vegas Thunder instead of the Chicago Blackhawks. I guess I'm just more connected with Las Vegas hockey versus the Golden Knights or the Blackhawks.

I'm seriously one of those guys that said you can't change teams once you're a fan, I see people like me talking trash in the main boards thread. Perhaps the Blackhawks were my adopted team replacing the Thunder instead of the Knights replacing the Hawks as my team since the Thunder was actually my team.

This has seriously bothered me for a while. I was a serious "you don't change your team" guy, and now I've got empathy for team changers.
I mean I'm guilty of being on the other end of that. Like I said, I was also a huge Teemu Selanne fan. So when I heard the Winnipeg Jets were coming back to the NHL I was really hyped for that. I proclaimed myself to be a Jets fan. That they were my "second team" but that started to ring hollow pretty much halfway through their first year. I couldn't force myself to tune in for their games or participate in their subforum. I wanted them to do well but really it was JUST Anaheim. Like...it's cool to see Winnipeg doing well. Especially when compared to tanking teams that continue to fail. But I never cared the way I care for Vegas already. When I miss Vegas games it's not cause I'm watching the Ducks instead it's usually cause I'll be swamped or I might have a date or something. Any time I CAN watch the Knights, I do. And I love doing so. I love talking about this team.

I've really started to love these players the way I've only been able to as a fan of the Ducks. I like some of the Jets but I don't love any of them. When I think of the players I love I think Getzlaf, Fowler, Lindholm, Gibson, Henrique, Kase, Cogliano, Silfverberg, Marchesseault, Fleury, Perron, Wild Bill, Theodore, Schmidt, Tuch, Smith, Haula. That's why when the Ducks/Knights recently played it felt weird to me for the first time. I think in the prior meetings, I was still just jazzed on the idea of the Knights and seeing them do well. Now I'm developing favorites and forming emotional attachments to players on the roster. So seeing players I like and love hitting each other, chasing each other, battling for pucks, shooting at my favorite goalies...it was f***ing weird. I winced with every hit. Every shot on goal excited me and made me nervous at the same time. It's a weird place to be being a fan of both.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Perhaps that's it.

It's the amount of **** I took when I was online as a younger person saying Las Vegas should be in the discussion for the NHL and following every stop of the Bruckheimer attempt to get the NHL in Las Vegas. I fell in love with hockey with the Las Vegas Thunder instead of the Chicago Blackhawks. I guess I'm just more connected with Las Vegas hockey versus the Golden Knights or the Blackhawks.

Yup, sounds like you are a Thunder fan first! Easy transition to VGK fan (even if you dabbled with the Hawks).

I really wish I took some time on the Thunder. I've lived in Vegas for 41 years and never went to a Wranglers or Hockey game. My family were all desert rats (originally from Albuquerque, NM) so there was no one to expose me to the game. Never having been exposed to it, I didn't understand the big deal. I was all UNLV sports, with an occasional Stars/51's game. But now that we got our first pro team, and hearing the excitement from everyone, I had to see what the fuss was about so I started following everything about it. Now I'm totally hooked! Being at the UNLV basketball game last night (another tragically horrible performance from UNLV), I spent equal time checking the game cast of the VGK game on my phone. When it was clear, midway through the second half, that UNLV had no shot of a comeback, I ran out to catch the VGK game on radio.

As to fans switching allegiances, honestly I am all for it. That's the only way VGK is going to get a fanbase lol. But I think there are more than a few folks like you who were longtime Thunder/Wranglers fans. They had very good support. Plus there are probably quite a few like me who finally jumped on board when we got a pro team. I am just sorry I missed out on those Thunder/Wrangler days because now I can truly appreciate what I missed. Always heard those games were wild times, I just never took the initiative to check it out.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I had a three game line brawl streak with the Wranglers at one point. Every time I showed up, line brawl.

I didn't get to Wranglers games as much as I'd like, I guess from resentment over an ECHL team once the IHL took a dump. They were good times, though.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
As to fans switching allegiances, honestly I am all for it. That's the only way VGK is going to get a fanbase lol. But I think there are more than a few folks like you who were longtime Thunder/Wranglers fans. They had very good support. Plus there are probably quite a few like me who finally jumped on board when we got a pro team. I am just sorry I missed out on those Thunder/Wrangler days because now I can truly appreciate what I missed. Always heard those games were wild times, I just never took the initiative to check it out.

The posts on this page are some of the best I've read on this site, your backstories are very interesting. Thank you for the bolded, especially. Considering leaving a team that has been a running joke for the last 25 years is like Stockholm Syndrome. Being miserable as a paying fan of an ungrateful organization isn't fun. Vegas is a beacon of everything great about hockey, even not considering the winning record. The kids around my town with Crosby and Ovechkin jerseys have the right idea: Cheer for what makes you happy. If that means rocking a Fleury or Karlsson jersey, good.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
I had a three game line brawl streak with the Wranglers at one point. Every time I showed up, line brawl.

I didn't get to Wranglers games as much as I'd like, I guess from resentment over an ECHL team once the IHL took a dump. They were good times, though.
I remember going to a Wranglers game when they wore jerseys that mimicked Girl Scout uniforms, and another where I think they wore pink w/hearts for Valentine's Day.

And the infamous Rod Blagojevich prison jerseys! Missed that one, though. :(

Also, they always had some pretty sick logos (changing from time to time).

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV

I spent almost as much time in Vegas as I did in California and Vegas to me is home. But I will always be a Californian at heart and the Ducks do tie me to that identity (I know there are ****ty Californians, don't get me wrong, it's not like I say I'm a Californian at heart as some massive point of pride).

Very similar to how I feel. Always followed the Avalanche and Ducks especially being from California. I moved to Las Vegas right as the whole "NHL to Vegas" was really heating up. I saw the growth of hockey in California and really hope the Knights are able to replicate that same success here in Nevada. As much as I despise what California has become, Orange County is still my roots.

It was easier for me to move on from the Avalanche, even though I still support them, because I didn't have any ties to the team except for Sakic and Duchene being my favorite players. The Ducks are different. I have been to so many Ducks games, played for the Jr. Ducks in CAHA, and have met several players from both Mighty Ducks era and current generation.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Very similar to how I feel. Always followed the Avalanche and Ducks especially being from California. I moved to Las Vegas right as the whole "NHL to Vegas" was really heating up. I saw the growth of hockey in California and really hope the Knights are able to replicate that same success here in Nevada. As much as I despise what California has become, Orange County is still my roots.

It was easier for me to move on from the Avalanche, even though I still support them, because I didn't have any ties to the team except for Sakic and Duchene being my favorite players. The Ducks are different. I have been to so many Ducks games, played for the Jr. Ducks in CAHA, and have met several players from both Mighty Ducks era and current generation.
I've met the whole expansion draft team, well...most of them. Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Kesler, Gibson, Andersen, Fowler, Parros. Never Teemu though. I actually had a great conversation with Guy Hebert before he got hired to the Ducks TV crew. Great guy. But anyway. Meeting the boys had nothing to do with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->